What's the deal with these strobe lights?

Nov. 13, 2019, 7:55 a.m.

Last night on the spirit trail while out on the tues night run, 3 instances of these commuter cyclists with giant night club size strobe lights on the front of their bikes.

Can you even see where you are going with this? Would it not give you a headache riding in the dark with this thing flashing?  They are super blinding to anyone on the path going the other way.

Rant over

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

Nov. 13, 2019, 8:16 a.m.

congratulations, and welcome to the "get off mah lawn" club

yeah the flashing light on the trail makes no sense. maybe they simply don't know how to switch the light to constant on or a lower power? people having them aimed up to high doesn't help either.

Nov. 13, 2019, 1:17 p.m.

Yeah buddy last night was trying to blind me, I'm sure of it.

Is there a link to where I can get a GOML shirt?

Oh wait https://shirtcanada.com/get-off-my-lawn-2020-standard-t-shirt/?sku=IT3BPSCFSYI9-2&gclid=CjwKCAiA8K7uBRBBEiwACOm4d3RnRh-2Q7F3asNkZCt_GmWIgt1SlGbYYp0AFZTcuD4LTqXbCh_lEBoC7E4QAvD_BwE

Nov. 26, 2019, 1:55 p.m.

I'm the grouchy old guy yelling at other cyclists on the bikepath to let them know their high power LED fast strobes are not making me happy.  ;-)

Nov. 26, 2019, 5:35 p.m.

When I worked in an underground mine you’d get pounded for shining a headlamp into a miners face. If you’re riding on streets competing with car headlights, street lights and neon signs and such you need to use the strobe to stand out in a sea of light. But on side streets or other darker places a steady beam is better. And not into other people’s eyes other than a wiggle of the bars or helmet light to make sure buddy in the car at the intersection sees you.

Nov. 27, 2019, 6:53 a.m.

I don't think a strobe is a great idea even on the streets. Blinding folks driving 1+ ton vehicles around you doesn't seem smart or safe. It would be the car equivalent of deciding to drive with high beams on all the time because it's "safer" since you'll be more visible. 

Personally I use a solid bike light from Germany that has vertical cut off like a car headlight so that it's not shooting a ton of light up in the air right into driver's eyes. It's plenty visible and fits right into what driver's brains are looking for in terms of identifying another "vehicle" when deciding what to do. In Germany it's illegal to use a strobe or even a solid light that doesn't have a vertical cut off because the result is not "safer".

Nov. 27, 2019, 5:48 p.m.

Posted by: Vikb

I don't think a strobe is a great idea even on the streets. Blinding folks driving 1+ ton vehicles around you doesn't seem smart or safe. It would be the car equivalent of deciding to drive with high beams on all the time because it's "safer" since you'll be more visible. 

This. I live on a major east/west shared bikeway and the number of idiots with stupid bright flashing strobes pointed horizontally seems to get worse every year. I'm very careful driving/parking on our block but these assholes make it hard, getting to the point of turning on the LED brights on them.

Dec. 1, 2019, 12:12 a.m.

Posted by: Vikb

I'm the grouchy old guy yelling at other cyclists on the bikepath to let them know their high power LED fast strobes are not making me happy.  ;-)

I just fired up my high beam and helmet strobe.  He got the point, we both turned down our lights and I said thanks. 

Its the fucking ebikes who insist on blowing past uphill on doing 60 without any indication they’re coming up behind me.  They're called bells people, use them or slow down!

Ill take two of that T-shirt please.

Dec. 1, 2019, 12:18 a.m.

Posted by: Brocklanders

Yeah buddy last night was trying to blind me, I'm sure of it.

Is there a link to where I can get a GOML shirt?

Oh wait https://shirtcanada.com/get-off-my-lawn-2020-standard-t-shirt/?sku=IT3BPSCFSYI9-2&gclid=CjwKCAiA8K7uBRBBEiwACOm4d3RnRh-2Q7F3asNkZCt_GmWIgt1SlGbYYp0AFZTcuD4LTqXbCh_lEBoC7E4QAvD_BwE

i like this one better