whats in your survival kit??

Nov. 30, 2010, 7:43 a.m.

Just make sure they are passed out first, you dont want to be cramming shit down a panicked, conscious persons throat as they are going into shock.

if you can't stop someone going into shock they're pretty much going to die anyways. IMO the OPA is a great idea, but training on how to use it even better. the jaw thrust will keep someone's airway open as well, but that only works if you have more people.

everyone should have some first aid training.

Nov. 30, 2010, 9:29 a.m.

^ sound advice. When I worked in the bush and now whenever I backpack I kept a small pocket book in my bag. Something to do while you're waiting hours for help. Keep it dry and the pages you've read are fire starter/TP. (but you don't want too much in a riding bag so might not be applicable here)

Nov. 30, 2010, 10:03 a.m.

there is one piece of first aid equipment that you should have . . .

an oropharyngeal airway , or OPA

basically a curved tube that you place in a ( usually ) unconscious patients' mouth and past their tongue to ensure an airway .

it is the one piece of gear that can save a life on its' own , and would be very difficult , if not impossible to macgyver out of anything else you might have around . splints , bandages , tourniquets you can make out of other shit , but the OPA is very specialized . even someone having a severe allergic reaction to a bee sting ( tongue swelling , compromised airway ) could be kept alive with one .

they come in a variety of sizes , but for an E-kit , just get the largest one and have a means to cut it to length .

of course some training on how to use it is strongly recommended , but at least if you have one , you got that covered .

it's the one piece of first aid gear i always have when going afield .

Add to that a pocket mask. All the para medics I know always state you should always carry one with your first aid stuff.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Nov. 30, 2010, 2:22 p.m.

if you can't stop someone going into shock they're pretty much going to die anyways. IMO the OPA is a great idea, but training on how to use it even better. the jaw thrust will keep someone's airway open as well, but that only works if you have more people.

If the throat is clenched enough a jaw thrust might not be enough to open the airway, the OPA seems almost fail-safe if you know how to use it. I liked Patrolskid's tip on having the longest one and cutting it to fit the casualty. Way better than packing a kit 8 of around.

Nov. 30, 2010, 4:17 p.m.

I'm lazy I carry the following pre-made first aid kit augmented with some bike tools, pump, inner tubes, knife, compass, map, survival blanket and head torch.

Kit Contains:
Primary care leaflet [HTML_REMOVED] scissors
Tweezers, safety pins, shears
Fabric dressing strip [HTML_REMOVED] burn gel
Wound closure strips
Woven [HTML_REMOVED] triangular bandages
Crepe bandage [HTML_REMOVED] gauze swabs
Zinc oxide [HTML_REMOVED] micropore tape
Low-adherent dressings
Medium [HTML_REMOVED] eyepad dressings
Fabric [HTML_REMOVED] blister plasters
Vinyl gloves [HTML_REMOVED] thermometer
Paracetamol [HTML_REMOVED] ibuprofen
Antiseptic wipes [HTML_REMOVED] glow stick
Duct tape

| My Bike | :scotland: XCer attempting to adjust to :canada:'s Mother Hucka trails…

Nov. 30, 2010, 4:42 p.m.

A small container of dehydrated Chuck Norris.

^this
lol

Nov. 30, 2010, 5:45 p.m.

Who carries a pocket knife and what is it?

My normal edc (every day carry) is either a Spyderco D'Allara or Endura.

I also usually carry a Victorinox for people that ask to borrow my knife. :D

I always have a knife with me while riding and the most common use seems to be cutting up gauze wrap for an injured rider. Another thing that gets used are the tweezers in a Victorinox, they are great for removing thorns.

>>---------> (x)
My flickr

Nov. 30, 2010, 7:42 p.m.

Nov. 30, 2010, 8:08 p.m.

Carry,

Gerber Multiplier
Gerber Gator Folder
Film Container with Duct tape wrapped around
Issue Field Dressing
Couple of Garbage bags
Zap Ties
Tube
Pump
metal Tire levers
chain breaker
multi allen tool

Other stuff may be added depending on where I'm going.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Nov. 30, 2010, 9:14 p.m.

"Thats not a knife…..this is a knife"

diggin

Dec. 1, 2010, 1:36 a.m.

Does duct tape hold up to a good soaking? I got in the habit of carrying nylon electrical tape in my pfd in my paddling days, the stuff is totally waterproof. No where near as strong as duct tape, of course, but wrap it enough times and it has held stuff together for me on a lot of occasions.

I also read somewhere that cotton balls soaked in vaseline in a ziplock bag make killer firestarter, but never tried it myself, anybody know?

Dec. 1, 2010, 4:03 a.m.

Does duct tape hold up to a good soaking? I got in the habit of carrying nylon electrical tape in my pfd in my paddling days, the stuff is totally waterproof. No where near as strong as duct tape, of course, but wrap it enough times and it has held stuff together for me on a lot of occasions.

I also read somewhere that cotton balls soaked in vaseline in a ziplock bag make killer firestarter, but never tried it myself, anybody know?

I used duct tape and random shit to custom fit a whitewater kayak for me. It lasted 7 straight days getting soaked alot no problems. I think duct tape is pretty water resistant.

For EDC I used to carry a SOG Kilowatt. Really good knife. Lost it somewhere though.

Dec. 1, 2010, 9:57 a.m.

hell yeah, these gerbers are such dope knives for how cheap they are.. I've had a few, but have lost em all. I currently carry either a SOG or a CRKT.

Dec. 1, 2010, 10:03 a.m.

hell yeah, these gerbers are such dope knives for how cheap they are.. I've had a few, but have lost em all. I currently carry either a SOG or a CRKT.

yeah they are… pretty durable, easy to clean, light. and I think theyre like 20-25 bucks at crappy tire in squamish.

Dec. 1, 2010, 10:11 a.m.

haha yeah man, and thats exactly where i bought mine too. and if the blade ever gets loose, just a quick turn of an allen key and its all set