whats in your survival kit??

Nov. 29, 2010, 3:09 p.m.

Stay sway.
I did that once while kind of lost in the bush, and it was horrible. Paranoia was my homeboy, and we were riding the fear train.

hahah, LOL:lol:

Nov. 29, 2010, 4:38 p.m.

^^^ He beat me to a few items

Some suggestions for other items.

A good LED flashlight or headlamp
Giant orange garbage bag, it can be split open to use as a shelter and also to show your location
Whistle
Paracord
Multi-tool

I also always carry a roll of flagging tape when I'm way off in the bush. When I hike into an area and need to get back to the same spot it can be very helpful.

I keep looking for the thread that you posted both your survival kits

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Nov. 29, 2010, 4:43 p.m.

there is one piece of first aid equipment that you should have . . .

an oropharyngeal airway , or OPA

basically a curved tube that you place in a ( usually ) unconscious patients' mouth and past their tongue to ensure an airway .

it is the one piece of gear that can save a life on its' own , and would be very difficult , if not impossible to macgyver out of anything else you might have around . splints , bandages , tourniquets you can make out of other shit , but the OPA is very specialized . even someone having a severe allergic reaction to a bee sting ( tongue swelling , compromised airway ) could be kept alive with one .

they come in a variety of sizes , but for an E-kit , just get the largest one and have a means to cut it to length .

of course some training on how to use it is strongly recommended , but at least if you have one , you got that covered .

it's the one piece of first aid gear i always have when going afield .

Nov. 29, 2010, 5:59 p.m.

basically a curved tube that you place in a ( usually ) unconscious patients' mouth and past their tongue to ensure an airway .

it is the one piece of gear that can save a life on its' own , and would be very difficult , if not impossible to macgyver out of anything else you might have around . splints , bandages , tourniquets you can make out of other shit , but the OPA is very specialized . even someone having a severe allergic reaction to a bee sting ( tongue swelling , compromised airway ) could be kept alive with one .

they come in a variety of sizes , but for an E-kit , just get the largest one and have a means to cut it to length .

of course some training on how to use it is strongly recommended , but at least if you have one , you got that covered .

Does it double as a beer bong? If so, may be worth it.

i googled majin super gay and this thread came up

Nov. 29, 2010, 6:15 p.m.

an OPA eh? not a bad idea. I suppose its better than shoving a piece of greasy cable sheathing down someones throat. As for the weed, thats a given, lol… howd u think i got lost and need a survival kit?? AND, as for the beers, a few squamish creeks i ride near, have a few beers strategically buried under certain rocks, always a nice treat.

Nov. 29, 2010, 6:15 p.m.

What do you guys consider "going afield" to the point that you bring your survival kit and not just your TLD pajamas and a pack of Wildcat?

flickr

Nov. 29, 2010, 6:19 p.m.

lol, doesnt have to be far from home… I wouldnt wanna be stuck overnight with a broken leg or something, even just up diamondhead… may just be 15 minutes from home, but it may as well be 15 hours away. It gets super cold up there at night, and there are plenty of bears, cougars, bobcats, and other shit like that to harrass u through the night. Not that a fuckin space blanket is gonna thwart a cougar attack, but even just having a fire going for the night makes all the difference…plus the added bonus of not freezing to death

Nov. 29, 2010, 6:43 p.m.

I keep looking for the thread that you posted both your survival kits

Is this it?

http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=123755

>>---------> (x)
My flickr

Nov. 29, 2010, 7:03 p.m.

toilet paper. no shit.

Studio B Fine Art and Photographic Prints

Nov. 29, 2010, 7:17 p.m.

What do you guys consider "going afield" to the point that you bring your survival kit and not just your TLD pajamas and a pack of Wildcat?

On a regular day this is what I have in my pack.

First-aid kit
TP
Headlamp or flashlight
Butane lighter
Multi-tool
Saw
Orange garbage bag
Small roll of flagging tape
Bike related tools
Tube
Pump

When I'm going hunting or hiking I'll remove the bike stuff add a few more things. On days when I don't want to carry a pack I'll just take the PSK posted above.

>>---------> (x)
My flickr

Nov. 29, 2010, 7:18 p.m.

an OPA eh? not a bad idea. I suppose its better than shoving a piece of greasy cable sheathing down someones throat. As for the weed, thats a given, lol… howd u think i got lost and need a survival kit?? AND, as for the beers, a few squamish creeks i ride near, have a few beers strategically buried under certain rocks, always a nice treat.

Just make sure they are passed out first, you dont want to be cramming shit down a panicked, conscious persons throat as they are going into shock.

Or you could just preform a Ghetto Cricothyrotomy with your pocket knife, some clean sticks, and your camel pack bladder.

Nov. 29, 2010, 8:06 p.m.

I'd like to pack a couple of what's in bmor's sig for a warm nuzzle if I had to camp out overnight. Prolly not enought room in my pack though:(

Shed head!

Nov. 29, 2010, 10 p.m.

While this is a good suggestion for the emergency kit I can't stress how important proper 1st aid training is before packing one. If you carry it you have to know how to use it. A good Wilderness First Responder course is highly recommended.

Picked up this piece of kit this fall, I don't really go anywhere without it these days. Incredibly light weight and water proof. Adds a lot of warmth too on those rides that go longer than expected.
http://www.outdoorresearch.com/site/m_s_helium_jacket.html

Nov. 30, 2010, 2:40 a.m.

Another good thing to mention is a Snake bite kit if you are out riding where rattlers live.

Nov. 30, 2010, 5:22 a.m.

Best thread I've read in a long while. LOL when thinking of:

"..not just your TLD pajamas and a pack of Wildcat? "

"HID, cellphone, lighter and two tallcans. NSR, here I come!"

Throw in some great pics and genuine advice from pro's like patrolskid for good measure. What isn't sweet is my kit. My kit is under-thought and out-gunned. When topping it off, I think I'll print some of the photos in this thread to put in my kit for motivation when am lost. Happy thoughts…safe travels out there boyscouts.

NSMBA member.