Whatever happened to the naild bikes?

March 30, 2022, 1:27 p.m.

I am suprised no-one has mentioned structure cycles when talking about new bike tech and polarizing looks.

I bumped into their engineer and media/Pr guy with a couple of test bikes on Fromme last Autumn and had the chance for a ride around on them. No discernible stiction on the front or any of the other issues associated with telescopic forks when hard braking, the weight was always centered which made manuals surprisingly easy (when you look at the bike, anyway) and this great feeling of having consistent geometry when braking into corners which kept everything planted. 

His background and achievements in motorcycle racing/engineering are really remarkable and it was fun to talk about the design of the structure bikes as compared to our mutual favourite motorcycle the Britten.

March 30, 2022, 2:21 p.m.

I wonder if carbon construction is the biggest thing holding the Structure bike back even more than polarizing looks.

I mean, I think it’s a really cool concept but if it was aluminum then evolving the geometry and offering more sizes becomes a relatively easy reality. For me, with a smaller brand, an aluminum frame also instills confidence that they’re putting forward their best take on mountain bike geometry not trying to sell enough bikes to pay off moulds.

Last edited by: AndrewMajor on March 30, 2022, 2:22 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 30, 2022, 2:33 p.m.

Structure: I doubt anything is holding that bike back more than it's polarizing looks and completely unconventional design. I would think the carbon aspect is way down that list, given how many carbon bikes you see on the trail these days.

Last edited by: mammal on March 30, 2022, 2:34 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 30, 2022, 2:41 p.m.

I think it maybe a materials preference from Loni's motorcycle engineering background but that's a pure guess from our limited chat in the mountain. But that's a great point in that the number of available molds would be limited. It's a little too curvey/ banana-ry for me which is weird, I suppose, considering I have a Knolly which has it's fair share of banana-esque curves.

If you can snag a demo ride on one, I'd recommend it.

Last edited by: DanL on March 30, 2022, 2:42 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 30, 2022, 3:22 p.m.

Posted by: mammal

Structure: I doubt anything is holding that bike back more than it's polarizing looks and completely unconventional design. I would think the carbon aspect is way down that list, given how many carbon bikes you see on the trail these days.

I just mean in the sense that the kind of nerds who’d give this a go are probably also geo nerds and going to want a 29er or mullet these days. Not to mention having a tighter sense of what dimensions can work for them (more sizes needed). When you make bikes for nerds you have to be able to roll with their product demands and aluminum is way easier to do that with.

I know of at least two brands purposely stagnating their aluminum rigs 1-2 years because having your aluminum rig be more progressive than your more premium carbon frame is a marketing grenade but carbon frames have a minimum order to get off the ground and then you have to sell a certain number of units to make a buck.

Much easier now that geo and standards are pretty steady but I still think it handcuffs smaller brands.

Last edited by: AndrewMajor on March 30, 2022, 3:55 p.m., edited 1 time in total.