Whatchu get for Xmas?

Dec. 30, 2020, 5:21 p.m.

Posted by: Bushpilot

To me, from me: WAO bar/stem combo

Best bar/stem ive ever used. Whats it going on? 35 or 45?

Dec. 30, 2020, 7:32 p.m.

Posted by: velocipedestrian

Posted by: T-mack

Posted by: heathen

Posted by: RAHrider

Posted by: Vikb

Posted by: heathen

What are these mystical creatures?

Does anyone know if the shimano wandering bite point is solved by replacing the caliper with a magura?

That was my exact thought when I saw it.

All a caliper is mechanically is a piston that slides inside a square profile O-ring. The retraction is just the O-ring going from a Parellolgram back to square which pulls the pistons back inside the caliper. The wandering bite point couldn't really be anything to do with the caliper. My theory is that when you bleed a shimano system, you push fluid up the system into the cup on the master, well you're essentially taking all of that grime from the caliper and pushing it back through the system which gums up the seals in the lever body. I bet the spring is trying to push the plunger back when you release the lever but the seals are slow to move so when you go pull again, the pads are still closer to the rotor than they should be causing inconsistent feel.

The 'official' shimano bleed is top down, so the gunge is more likely to collect in the caliper. 

I've heard the theory that the servo-wave amplifies any bubble issues, as the lever has to move further. But the m9000 race lever mentioned doesn't have it, so no more clever thoughts.

On my Shigura setup, I have the wander in the rear but my front feels mint still. I frequently have to replace the pads in the rear which requires pushing the pistons back in which is more than likely contaminating the fluid. if I pull the lever and watch the brakes retract, they move slow which tells me the piston in the master isn't retracting quickly.

Dec. 30, 2020, 7:47 p.m.

45x27.5. Tossed it on my pride and joy today and taking it out for a spin in tomorrow am.

Dec. 31, 2020, 4:12 a.m.

Posted by: velocipedestrian
The 'official' shimano bleed is top down, so the gunge is more likely to collect in the caliper.

I've heard the theory that the servo-wave amplifies any bubble issues, as the lever has to move further. But the m9000 race lever mentioned doesn't have it, so no more clever thoughts.

The theories I've heard involved the port connecting the reservoir at the lever to the rest of the system being small enough to restrict oil flow, causing fluctuations in the active oil volume between brake actuations in quick succession. Of course that might in turn get amplified when enough contaminants are in the system. Why rear brakes in particular seem to be more fragile in this regard I have no idea, but that's been my experience with all shimano setups -- rear brakes require more frequent bleeds for me, and the quirky shigura I mentioned is also a rear. Small sample sizes between three brakes and suboptimal bleeding in some cases, so not enough for a definite conclusion by an armchair... I mean message board engineer like moi ;)

Last edited by: twk on Dec. 31, 2020, 4:12 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 1, 2021, 10:10 a.m.

My household has 3 sets of servo wave Shimano that I work on, and we've been on those solely for the last 3 years. SLX 2 piston, Saint, and a pair of SLX that I converted from 2 piston to 4 with new Deore calipers. Every time I've experienced wandering bite point (WBP), it's been fixed by burping air bubbles out of the lever. 

Whether bleeding the whole system or just doing the lever, it takes a LONG TIME to make sure all the air is out of the lever. Tap the lever till the bubbles stop coming out the bleed pot. Wait a minute, do it again. Wait 15 minutes, do it again. Do it till you can't possibly spend any more time on it, and WBP is gone for a very long time. If it comes back in 4-5 months, just burp the lever with the same process again, and you're good for another good span of time. A vaccume bleed system would likely be the answer for quicker/more consistent bleed results.

Jan. 1, 2021, 10:14 a.m.

I find I get a great bleed, if it's a bike with external routing and I can take the brake right off to maximize gravity. Helps get the sneaky bubbles out. Lever burps between full off-the-bike bleeds if anything feels funny.

In my experience at least wandering bite is a bleed issue.

Jan. 1, 2021, 10:40 a.m.

Nothing biking related. Got a budget smartwatch from my girlfriend and decided to buy myself a 2018 Leon Cupra ST 4wd.

Jan. 1, 2021, 11:57 a.m.

Posted by: mammal

Whether bleeding the whole system or just doing the lever, it takes a LONG TIME to make sure all the air is out of the lever. 

This.

When refilling the front system top down and then bottom up, and I'm so sure that all the air has bubbled up into the funnel, on more than one occasion I've still had the brake lever go spongy overnight after hanging the bike on the wall front wheel up

Jan. 1, 2021, 8:32 p.m.

45x27.5. Tossed it on my pride and joy today and taking it out for a spin in tomorrow am.

How was the package? I have mine on my primer. I like the 45mm stem better than the 35 that I had on not before. Makes for better climbing and all around riding.

Thats a mighty nice docta you have there. Is that a bb30? Mine is really tight, yours the same?

Jan. 2, 2021, 6:58 a.m.

Posted by: UFO

Whether bleeding the whole system or just doing the lever, it takes a LONG TIME to make sure all the air is out of the lever. 

This.

When refilling the front system top down and then bottom up, and I'm so sure that all the air has bubbled up into the funnel, on more than one occasion I've still had the brake lever go spongy overnight after hanging the bike on the wall front wheel up

I also have found the wandering bite point just means my brakes need a bleed. I find if you use a strap of some sort, like a oneup gear strap or zap strap, to hold the brake lever fully engaged for about an hour before the bleed it speeds the process up quite a bit. I think I got that tip from a WC DH team video at some point, they guy said "it brings the bubbles to the lever". While the strap is engaged I also orient the bike on my stand to ensure the calliper is more directly below the lever. Then I find the bleed is quicker.

Jan. 2, 2021, 8:34 a.m.

How was the package? I have mine on my primer. I like the 45mm stem better than the 35 that I had on not before. Makes for better climbing and all around riding.

Thats a mighty nice docta you have there. Is that a bb30? Mine is really tight, yours the same?

Only one ride so far so the only thing I can say for sure is that moving to 45mm from a 40mm stem was the right move for me in terms of fit.

It’s the press fit RF bb that fits the BB shell. Mine’s good. Spins smooth and no creaks.

Jan. 2, 2021, 4:05 p.m.

Posted by: nobby

Posted by: UFO

This.

I also have found the wandering bite point just means my brakes need a bleed. I find if you use a strap of some sort, like a oneup gear strap or zap strap, to hold the brake lever fully engaged for about an hour before the bleed it speeds the process up quite a bit. I think I got that tip from a WC DH team video at some point, they guy said "it brings the bubbles to the lever". While the strap is engaged I also orient the bike on my stand to ensure the calliper is more directly below the lever. Then I find the bleed is quicker.

Yeah, tieing the lever closed and brake vertical is useful. The increase in pressure shrinks the bubbles, which lets them rise more easily.

Jan. 3, 2021, 2:43 p.m.

Sub to Fluidrideonline, ideal for some solo lockdown sessioning. Get my mojo tuned up I hope.

Jan. 3, 2021, 2:52 p.m.

Non biking related.....a gift card for the local bookshop from my kiddo which is awesome. 

Me, myself and I got a new used bike...and wow....what a ride. 

Now I only need a different front tire, a different set of handlebars and grips. 

A friend surprised me with a CP Gang sticker pack .... she wanted to get the Bikes Over B#tches rim stickers as well, but apparently out of stock at present.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Jan. 8, 2021, 11:49 a.m.

Don't know how I feel about the motto "Bikes over B#tches"

How did this survive the "me too" movement

Can someone explain how this isn't at least slight misogynistic?

As an update to my Xmas. My spoke tensionometer tells me that I don't need it and my years of experience and spoke squeezing is pretty darn close.

I also picked up some post Xmas deals that have worked out really well.

Got a new carbon bar for my road bike. 1cm shorter reach and 2cm wider has done wonders for my comfort. Also, the ride feel is remarkably better than the aluminum bar that came on the bike. It also feels way stiffer for out of the saddle sprinting than my old one while being way more comfortable. I can see why they wanted $489 for it - I love boxing day 70% markdowns!