Whatchu get for Xmas?

Dec. 29, 2020, 2:54 p.m.

My lovely wife surprised me with a Topeak pressure gauge and a Crank Bros M19 multi-tool. 

Bought my 8 yr old boy a ‘21 Norco Fluid 2 FS. It’s a 24”. We did a loop yesterday and he was so stoked. 

Re: brakes - I’ve been using Codes for a year now. Zero issues and great feel. My XT probably had more power but EFF that wandering bite point. It was a deal breaker. I have read good reviews thus far wrt Deore brakes. Here’s hoping Shimano have resolved the issue. The new Deore kit is a big win for performance on budget.

Dec. 29, 2020, 3:29 p.m.

Posted by: 4Runner1

Re: brakes - I’ve been using Codes for a year now. Zero issues and great feel. My XT probably had more power but EFF that wandering bite point. It was a deal breaker. I have read good reviews thus far wrt Deore brakes. Here’s hoping Shimano have resolved the issue. The new Deore kit is a big win for performance on budget.

I ordered the Deores. If they wander I'll give up and just get Codes.

Last edited by: Vikb on Dec. 29, 2020, 3:31 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Dec. 29, 2020, 3:38 p.m.

Posted by: DemonMike

Still waiting for mine. Was supposed to be a early Xmas gift. Has turned into sometime in the New Year. I ordered a Marin Alpine Trail XR and upgraded to Code discs. Got new shoes and helmet in the works as well. Too bad I have 8in of snow on the ground.

Now that is how christmas gifts should be done. Well done! Coil shock with a lyric ultimate - that will be banging.

Dec. 29, 2020, 3:40 p.m.

Posted by: Keoke

I got myself a chromag wide angle built up with a 160mm lyric ultimate, 11 speed xt drive train, carbon hoops and shigura brake setup. Shiguras are so good!

That sounds amazing. Pictures?

Dec. 29, 2020, 4:15 p.m.

Posted by: Keoke

Shiguras are so good!

What are these mystical creatures?

Dec. 29, 2020, 4:34 p.m.

Posted by: heathen

https://youtu.be/M9-M8jtRSD4

Dec. 29, 2020, 6:52 p.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

Posted by: DemonMike

Still waiting for mine. Was supposed to be a early Xmas gift. Has turned into sometime in the New Year. I ordered a Marin Alpine Trail XR and upgraded to Code discs. Got new shoes and helmet in the works as well. Too bad I have 8in of snow on the ground.

Now that is how christmas gifts should be done. Well done! Coil shock with a lyric ultimate - that will be banging.

Thanks. I didn't need a new bike LOL . But the $$$ was there so I splurged. Not sure how much it will get used. Starting a house and shop build come thaw.

Dec. 29, 2020, 7:21 p.m.

Posted by: Vikb

Does anyone know if the shimano wandering bite point is solved by replacing the caliper with a magura?

Dec. 29, 2020, 8:15 p.m.

Does anyone know if the shimano wandering bite point is solved by replacing the caliper with a magura?

So far its been great. They sure have more power than stock maguras and a hard bite. Its hard going between my code rsc and the shiguras in the wet lol. Id post a pic of the wideangle but this image sharing thing is too complex for me.

Dec. 30, 2020, 3:01 a.m.

A buddy and I have been fiddling with a M9000 XTR Race lever + MT6 caliper combo and so far weren't able to resolve the wandering bitepoint despite repeated bleeds. Whether it's due to shortcomings of bleeding technique or an inherent issue at the lever I can only guess so far.

Dec. 30, 2020, 5:10 a.m.

I always assumed the wandering BP issue was due to the lever/master cylinder design not the caliper. That was just a hunch though.

Dec. 30, 2020, 10:02 a.m.

To me, from me: WAO bar/stem combo

Last edited by: Bushpilot on Dec. 30, 2020, 10:24 a.m., edited 3 times in total.
Dec. 30, 2020, 11:21 a.m.

That was my exact thought when I saw it.

Dec. 30, 2020, 12:20 p.m.

All a caliper is mechanically is a piston that slides inside a square profile O-ring. The retraction is just the O-ring going from a Parellolgram back to square which pulls the pistons back inside the caliper. The wandering bite point couldn't really be anything to do with the caliper. My theory is that when you bleed a shimano system, you push fluid up the system into the cup on the master, well you're essentially taking all of that grime from the caliper and pushing it back through the system which gums up the seals in the lever body. I bet the spring is trying to push the plunger back when you release the lever but the seals are slow to move so when you go pull again, the pads are still closer to the rotor than they should be causing inconsistent feel.

Dec. 30, 2020, 4:01 p.m.

Posted by: T-mack

All a caliper is mechanically is a piston that slides inside a square profile O-ring. The retraction is just the O-ring going from a Parellolgram back to square which pulls the pistons back inside the caliper. The wandering bite point couldn't really be anything to do with the caliper. My theory is that when you bleed a shimano system, you push fluid up the system into the cup on the master, well you're essentially taking all of that grime from the caliper and pushing it back through the system which gums up the seals in the lever body. I bet the spring is trying to push the plunger back when you release the lever but the seals are slow to move so when you go pull again, the pads are still closer to the rotor than they should be causing inconsistent feel.

The 'official' shimano bleed is top down, so the gunge is more likely to collect in the caliper. 

I've heard the theory that the servo-wave amplifies any bubble issues, as the lever has to move further. But the m9000 race lever mentioned doesn't have it, so no more clever thoughts.