Whatchu get for Xmas?

Dec. 26, 2020, 10:32 p.m.

A pair of 100% Brisker gloves. Should be warm on the hands as I ride thru the winter.

Dec. 27, 2020, 3:25 a.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

You ever consider maguras? My mt trail sports are some of the best performing brakes i have and they are less than 300 for the pair. Also super easy to maintain. I also love the lever feel.

I havent been blown away by any of my xt brakes.

jeez, why did you pay that much for them? you can get these for 140-150eur around here

Dec. 27, 2020, 6:35 a.m.

You ever consider maguras? My mt trail sports are some of the best performing brakes i have and they are less than 300 for the pair. Also super easy to maintain. I also love the lever feel.

I tried Maguras back when we were all using rim brakes!

I'm not really a brake guy. I just want something easy to buy, get parts for and that works and is widely available. I'd like to stick with the big brands ubiquitous in NA for that. I was just buying Shimano brakes for years until I hit a few sets of XT's with the dreaded wandering bite point. I then bought a complete bike that came with Codes. After struggling with those XTs the Codes just worked. I'd prefer to standardize around 1 brand for ease of stocking spares so I was ready to just go Codes for future brake purchases. Until I started having issues getting SRAM stuff because they won't let vendors in the US or UK sell to Canada. Not even a fork seal or a brake pad which was annoying. Hence after reading the NSMB review about the Deore XTs that seemed like a reasonable option since Shimano falls to hand easily, they seem to have resolved the issue I was having and I have some older Shimano brakes that are going strong so sticking with that option keeps things simple.

All these new brakes have to do is not having any highly annoying performance issues like the wandering bite point and I'll be happy. I don't have highly specific tastes around brake performance. Before those problematic XTs if you had asked me why I bought Shimano brakes I would have just shrugged my shoulders and said they work.

Last edited by: Vikb on Dec. 27, 2020, 7:02 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
Dec. 27, 2020, 7:11 a.m.

Posted by: JBV

^^ seems to be a fairly common sentiment but i so love the XTs 4pots that came stock on my bike. i can't even come up with a complaint. maybe a bit grabby at times if you're touch is less than gentle on the pull?

i keep wishing someone here would get a new set of Hope V3/4 and tell us they are better than anything they've ever tried and say why and then post lotsa pictures.

I’ve been riding Tech3/v4 since 2017 on my enduro bikes, on my third set with the current build. They are a pain in the ass to maintain locally because the distributor doesn’t always have the parts you need and shops don’t stock small parts. Back in 2018, I spent $100 on pads and small parts from one of the UK stores, which I still have half of and it keeps me rolling.

As for the brakes, they are great. No wandering bite point, always lots of power, other than the lack of local support, no complaints.

Last edited by: rnayel on Dec. 27, 2020, 7:12 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Dec. 27, 2020, 10:55 a.m.

Posted by: Vikb

I tried Maguras back when we were all using rim brakes!

I'm not really a brake guy. I just want something easy to buy, get parts for and that works and is widely available. I'd like to stick with the big brands ubiquitous in NA for that. I was just buying Shimano brakes for years until I hit a few sets of XT's with the dreaded wandering bite point. I then bought a complete bike that came with Codes. After struggling with those XTs the Codes just worked. I'd prefer to standardize around 1 brand for ease of stocking spares so I was ready to just go Codes for future brake purchases. Until I started having issues getting SRAM stuff because they won't let vendors in the US or UK sell to Canada. Not even a fork seal or a brake pad which was annoying. Hence after reading the NSMB review about the Deore XTs that seemed like a reasonable option since Shimano falls to hand easily, they seem to have resolved the issue I was having and I have some older Shimano brakes that are going strong so sticking with that option keeps things simple.

All these new brakes have to do is not having any highly annoying performance issues like the wandering bite point and I'll be happy. I don't have highly specific tastes around brake performance. Before those problematic XTs if you had asked me why I bought Shimano brakes I would have just shrugged my shoulders and said they work.

I forget the perspective of someone who spends a week or more on their bike touring. I'd go shimsram too if I did that. I dont ever have trouble getting magura parts but could see it being problematic outside larger centers. Also, shim levers have always been nice.

Dec. 27, 2020, 12:31 p.m.

I'm happily running Maguras, but personally I'd avoid them for bike packing/all out reliability due to the playdough master cylinder.

Shimano's wandering bite point is still a thing. Went through 3 pairs of XT's. Honestly I don't care if they have the best engineered stuff and all the power, fuck them for not listening to end users and fixing a glaring issue.

Code's will be my next brakes. Hate DOT and they feel somewhat weaker than Shimano, but tired of thinking about brakes. 

Make it reliable, make it simple to bleed.

Dec. 27, 2020, 2:05 p.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

Shimano's wandering bite point is still a thing. Went through 3 pairs of XT's. Honestly I don't care if they have the best engineered stuff and all the power, fuck them for not listening to end users and fixing a glaring issue.

Are these the current generation of XTs?

Dec. 27, 2020, 4:13 p.m.

I love the shape of shimano levers and the action is always really light but a pox on wandering bite point! 

I've put Guide (RSC) levers with old style Code calipers. Not the all out power of shimano but the feel is great, consistent throw, easy to do top up bleeds between pad changes and they have modulation for days.

I never understood why everyone talks about all out power. We're not meant to be skidding everywhere....

Dec. 27, 2020, 9:36 p.m.

Late Xmas gift to myself - thank you boxing day.

New Carbon dropper bar for my road bike - reg 558 down to 189 :)

Trying out a pair of compression shorts - Ale speedfondo bibs. A bit worried about the tight "compression" fit but it's supposed to make long rides better. Top end bibs for $100 - who can say no to that?

Dec. 28, 2020, 6:27 a.m.

Fresh pedals, Works Components angleset, a courtesy bell and a digital pressure gauge (got royally fed up with trying to read 2psi increments from a coin sized dial that goes to 350psi).

Dec. 28, 2020, 10:51 a.m.

I got a fullDan merino from NF and if their pants are as well made and as luxurious feeling then I'll have to sign up for the mid January drop.

Dec. 28, 2020, 1:26 p.m.

NF DP3 pants

Christmas greeting from Tippie

Treated myself to fresh tires on my bike

Dec. 28, 2020, 2:08 p.m.

Posted by: Vikb

Posted by: Hepcat

Are these the current generation of XTs?

Weird , have had guides, maguras and the new gen XTs have been by far the best brake I have ever had.

Dec. 28, 2020, 10:30 p.m.

Still waiting for mine. Was supposed to be a early Xmas gift. Has turned into sometime in the New Year. I ordered a Marin Alpine Trail XR and upgraded to Code discs. Got new shoes and helmet in the works as well. Too bad I have 8in of snow on the ground.

Dec. 29, 2020, 1:19 p.m.

I got myself a chromag wide angle built up with a 160mm lyric ultimate, 11 speed xt drive train, carbon hoops and shigura brake setup. Shiguras are so good!