Whatchu get for Xmas?

Jan. 8, 2021, 2:35 p.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

Don't know how I feel about the motto "Bikes over B#tches"

How did this survive the "me too" movement

Can someone explain how this isn't at least slight misogynistic?

As an update to my Xmas. My spoke tensionometer tells me that I don't need it and my years of experience and spoke squeezing is pretty darn close.

I also picked up some post Xmas deals that have worked out really well.

Got a new carbon bar for my road bike. 1cm shorter reach and 2cm wider has done wonders for my comfort. Also, the ride feel is remarkably better than the aluminum bar that came on the bike. It also feels way stiffer for out of the saddle sprinting than my old one while being way more comfortable. I can see why they wanted $489 for it - I love boxing day 70% markdowns!

You are right...it is a bit mysogynistic, sort of. Although I never saw it that way, which is weird. Personally, there is a story and a why...which does not really matter in the big picture. Guess I no longer get them. 

Got myself a set of DMR deathgrips in Miami colour scheme (blue and pink marble) and a Renthal fatbar with a 30mm rise. Which feels good. Life is good.

Jan. 9, 2021, 10:04 a.m.

Posted by: Mic

Me, myself and I got a new used bike...and wow....what a ride. 

Now I only need a different front tire, a different set of handlebars and grips. 

A friend surprised me with a CP Gang sticker pack .... she wanted to get the Bikes Over B#tches rim stickers as well, but apparently out of stock at present.

What bike you get? 👀

And what an absolute sensible reasoned response to RAH. 🍺

Jan. 9, 2021, 10:41 a.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

Netflix has a new docuseries out called History of Swear Words, narrated by Nicolas Cage. While being funny, it's actually quite informative. One of the episodes is on the word bitch and they talk about some of the different connotations RAH and Mic bring up. The word bitch can be entirely misogynistic, not really, or not at all depending on the context. For example it can be a good thing kind of like how the word sick can mean awesome. It's also become similar to the N word in that women have reappropriated it to a certain extent. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XByiHpUvrj0

Jan. 9, 2021, 10:56 a.m.

Yes, saw the trailer yesterday after watching The Social Dilemma. Plan on watching it with one of my boys tonight. Also watched a doc on Spielberg last night that I thought was really good.

Jan. 9, 2021, 12:21 p.m.

I got a glove and shoe dryer. I've used it almost every single day since Christmas between commuting by bike and weekend riding and it's been rain-tastic lately.

Last edited by: thaaad on Jan. 9, 2021, 1:23 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 9, 2021, 12:30 p.m.

Posted by: thaaad

I got a glove and shoe dryer.  I've used it almost every single day since Christmas between commuting by bike and weekend riding by bike and it's been rain-tastic lately.

Tungsten's wife was gonna get him one of those too, but then she realized how much hot air he blows all the time and spent the money on some fuzzy slippers instead.

Jan. 9, 2021, 2:03 p.m.

Me, myself and I got a new used bike...and wow....what a ride.

Now I only need a different front tire, a different set of handlebars and grips.

A friend surprised me with a CP Gang sticker pack .... she wanted to get the Bikes Over B#tches rim stickers as well, but apparently out of stock at present.

What bike you get? 👀

A used 2018 Kona Process 165 AL. Sooo awesome. A bit slow on the ups...but so far ridiculous fun on ze downs.

Re: Bikes over B#tches and that b word. 

I always understood that b.o.b. was meant to be used in a positive, biking related sense, with biking as more important and supportive and giving and the like than all that criticising and bashing of my riding by a certain type of person that can be either male or female, bitching about life while being a total (....what....dick? Or bitch? Or the like....) about my need for and interest in riding. 

Background story: I came across the stickers while at my first Loose Fest when one of the guys from CP Gang was there, shortly after my marriage was ended in not so nice a way - and when I saw them I instantly thought "I want them. I never ever want to cut back on my dreams or my riding for a relationship or partner again. All or nothing! All about the ride" and thoughts like that. 

And RAH...thanks for that reply. 🤙🍺

Last edited by: Mic on Jan. 9, 2021, 2:11 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 9, 2021, 6:35 p.m.

I second this. It seems that online, people just get their backs up about everything. Your response reminds me why this is my favorite bike forum.

I asked my wife about those stickers before posting - she is my sounding board. Her response was, what if it said "bikes over nword" or "bikes over jews" or bikes over any slang for any nationality? She didn't think it sounded any better being bitches. I agreed. So I thought I'd check to see if anyone here could explain it so it made sense in a different way I hadn't thought of. Its nice being able to ask a loaded question like that and not have the entire board jump down your throat a la pinkbike style.

Jan. 10, 2021, 12:59 a.m.

Posted by: syncro

Posted by: thaaad

I got a glove and shoe dryer.  I've used it almost every single day since Christmas between commuting by bike and weekend riding by bike and it's been rain-tastic lately.

Tungsten's wife was gonna get him one of those too, but then she realized how much hot air he blows all the time and spent the money on some fuzzy slippers instead.

i heard he once flew around the world in 90 days in a hot air balloon without any fuel

Jan. 10, 2021, 7:47 a.m.

Posted by: syncro

Netflix has a new docuseries out called History of Swear Words, narrated by Nicolas Cage. While being funny, it's actually quite informative. One of the episodes is on the word bitch and they talk about some of the different connotations RAH and Mic bring up. The word bitch can be entirely misogynistic, not really, or not at all depending on the context. For example it can be a good thing kind of like how the word sick can mean awesome. It's also become similar to the N word in that women have reappropriated it to a certain extent. 

I watched two episodes of this last night. Fuck was all right, Shit was ok, we got to bitch and thought meh. Switch to a Joe Rogan stand up that was pretty good.

Jan. 28, 2021, 10:37 p.m.

Santa stuffed this in my stocking. 30bones on Amazon with 2 day prime shipping free. Works well actually. Never really wanted to drop 100$ for a tool I only use every so often. This one fits the bill.

Been using this since getting it at Xmas. Never used one before. Never had issues with my wheels either. Figured I should have one when building carbon hoops. Great product. Works really well and for just 30$ on Amazon with free prime shipping. Turns out my natural instincts aren't too far off but it's nice to be able tighten to rim spec without worrying about over tightening.

Last edited by: RAHrider on Jan. 28, 2021, 10:38 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 29, 2021, 9:16 a.m.

Santa stuffed this in my stocking. 30bones on Amazon with 2 day prime shipping free. Works well actually. Never really wanted to drop 100$ for a tool I only use every so often. This one fits the bill.

Been using this since getting it at Xmas. Never used one before. Never had issues with my wheels either. Figured I should have one when building carbon hoops. Great product. Works really well and for just 30$ on Amazon with free prime shipping. Turns out my natural instincts aren't too far off but it's nice to be able tighten to rim spec without worrying about over tightening.

Might have to add one to my bike tools. I have a truing stand already.

Jan. 29, 2021, 10:35 a.m.

Present to myself, I finally got new ski boots after 5 or 6 seasons on my old ones. Turns out it was a bit of the 'boiled frog' syndrome and I can't believe I was putting up with how packed out and crap my old ones have gotten now that I've gone skiing with a new well fitting pair.

Last edited by: Kevin26 on Jan. 29, 2021, 10:35 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 29, 2021, 5:57 p.m.

I got professionally fitted ski boots 4 years ago for the first time. Mind blown and my skiing got so much better. 

I was always too cheap before but will never do that again.

Jan. 29, 2021, 8:24 p.m.

Posted by: DemonMike

Might have to add one to my bike tools. I have a truing stand already.

For 40$ it's hard to justify not having one if you build your own wheels. Turns out I was tensioning to around 90, which is about right for rims 20 years ago when I learned to build wheels. My rims all recommend up to 120 or so, which is pretty tight.

As for custom fit boots - I got the fisher fully moldable boots 5 years ago. They didn't catch on but did they ever work well for my low instep feet with flat archs. When I wear them out I too will go custom. You lose so much control with a sloppy boot fit.