What seats do people recommend?

June 20, 2022, 6:55 a.m.

New to cycling, my wife got me a Cube Ariel from a family friend while she was over in the Oxford, UK. Im loving it but the seat on it is destroying my crotch. Do people have any suggestions for a nice seat brand?

June 20, 2022, 8:13 a.m.

SQ Lab 611.

June 20, 2022, 8:28 a.m.

Chromag Trailmaster

June 20, 2022, 8:52 a.m.

Seats are entirely personal. It’s not possible to recommend one for another person. Sit bone width, upright position versus leaned over versus something in between. Rounded profile versus flat, cut outs or relief channels or just a soft bit. Do you wear proper cycling bib shorts with a chamois or cotton boxers all bunched up? 

Some seat manufacturers have a demo program where you can borrow a seat from a shop and ride it, try different models which is a great way. WTB and Fizik used to offer this and many shops will also let you demo a seat which you can return if it’s not marked up or muddy.

June 20, 2022, 9:03 a.m.

I'm partial to WTB saddles mounted slightly nose high but every asshole is different so get one that you like

also it takes a few days of riding to get the butt in shape after taking  the winter off riding IME

if you sit on a piece of corrugated card board you will leave a big impression that can be measured for a kind of fit thing

June 20, 2022, 9:33 a.m.

Which local shops (Vancouver, Sea to Sky, etc.) are good for fitting people for saddles?

June 20, 2022, 10:24 a.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

also it takes a few days of riding to get the butt in shape after taking  the winter off riding IME

An important point. Not to say you won't find a different saddle more comfortable, but if you're quite new to riding it's worth mentioning that the first maybe, dozen rides or so will be brutal regardless. It'll get better. 

As a starting point as a saddle many people find comfortable that is not too pricey, try a WTB Koda.

June 20, 2022, 11:26 a.m.

Posted by: LittleBigDavie

New to cycling, my wife got me a Cube Ariel from a family friend while she was over in the Oxford, UK. Im loving it but the seat on it is destroying my crotch. Do people have any suggestions for a nice seat brand?

That's a road bike yeah? 

Local shop will sort you out, and probably save hassle of buying the wrong saddle online.

The progression is funny, often beginners who ride short distances will buy an enormous wide cruiser saddle with springs and inches of gooey soft padding, while at the opposite end of the spectrum elite road cyclists who put in thousands of miles a year ride a narrow comparatively rock hard saddle.

-----------------

@Bull_Dozer last time I was home I went by Dizzy and sat on their digital butt meter. All the Specialized dealers I've seen have the same tool. Pretty sure every shop has something to measure sitbones with though? I know a bunch of different saddle brands include a measuring device of some kind for dealers. I've tried a handful.

Cardboard at home is honestly the most accurate method I've found though. Thick cardboard on a hard stool, mimic your lean angle.

June 20, 2022, 11:31 a.m.

Gotta harden up the gooch after time away from the bike. 

I haven't bothered to go down the SQ Lab saddle rabbit hole; so for now I've had success with Chromag Mood DT and before that WTB Deva. The Deva needs a longer nose similar to the Mood to bring it into the 2020s imho.

June 20, 2022, 1 p.m.

Posted by: andy-eunson

Seats are entirely personal. It’s not possible to recommend one for another person. 

This ^^^. It's like some asking you what size and brand/model of shoe they will I find comfortable? 

WTB has a saddle calculator that will make suggestions based on the info you input. I tried it and it recommended some of their saddles I enjoyed riding. I can't really vouch for it beyond that, but they seem like a company that wouldn't waste time if the customer was frequently unsatisfied by the recommendations.

https://www.wtb.com/pages/fit-right-system

June 21, 2022, 5:29 p.m.

Posted by: Bushpilot

SQ Lab 611.

+1 for this. Getting your sit bones measured before dropping cash on a fancy saddle is a good idea. Most saddles, like handlebars are roughly the same length and width and if you're outside of that you'll always be uncomfortable. There are a few companies that offer more options but you to get measured to know.

June 22, 2022, 4:40 a.m.

A good starting point are the seats that come stock on high-end bikes by large brands (e.g. Specialized Bridge, WTB Volt/Silverado, Selle Italia SLR). These usually are models which work well for many people. Measuring sitbones is helpful to get the correct width. Don't need a dealer for that, you can do it yourself with a piece of compressible cardboard.

June 23, 2022, 7:38 a.m.

Posted by: Timer

These usually are models which Measuring sitbones is helpful to get the correct width.

https://www.sq-lab.com/out/pictures/ddmedia/SQlab_Sittingposition.PDF

Not sure if +2cm or +3cm is more appropriate. Says +2 for "most mountain bikers" but +3 for enduro. Is "enduro" referring to [the type of mountain biking we do around here] or is that referring to something different?

Last edited by: Bull_Dozer on June 23, 2022, 7:38 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 23, 2022, 1:52 p.m.

Posted by: Bull_Dozer

Posted by: Timer

These usually are models which Measuring sitbones is helpful to get the correct width.

https://www.sq-lab.com/out/pictures/ddmedia/SQlab_Sittingposition.PDF

Not sure if +2cm or +3cm is more appropriate. Says +2 for "most mountain bikers" but +3 for enduro. Is "enduro" referring to [the type of mountain biking we do around here] or is that referring to something different?

My understanding when I looked at this was that +3 was more appropriate for steep seat tubes and upright seated position, where +2 was closer to an XC riding position.

I was deciding between these sizes (which for me meant either 13 or 14) and ended up with a 14cm Ergowave 611, which I find very comfortable, though I'm curious what the narrower would be like.

June 23, 2022, 4:06 p.m.

Posted by: eriksg

My understanding when I looked at this was that +3 was more appropriate for steep seat tubes and upright seated position, where +2 was closer to an XC riding position.

That sounds right... so +3 is likely the what I am looking for.

Anyone know any local shops that carry SQ Lab saddles?