What seats do people recommend?

June 23, 2022, 7 p.m.

Posted by: Timer

A good starting point are the seats that come stock on high-end bikes by large brands (e.g. Specialized Bridge, WTB Volt/Silverado, Selle Italia SLR). These usually are models which work well for many people. Measuring sitbones is helpful to get the correct width. Don't need a dealer for that, you can do it yourself with a piece of compressible cardboard.

Yeti & santa cruz both use WTB saddles with their brand logo

Aug. 5, 2022, 9:51 a.m.

My backside enjoys Chromag Trailmaster saddles.  I think lots of backsides do too.

Aug. 5, 2022, 10:22 a.m.

What makes butts go to sleep I wonder? On a recent ride at the top of a two hour climb everyone in the group couldn't feel their butts.

Aug. 5, 2022, 6:12 p.m.

I thought I'd found my grail, then tried it on the other bike. No joy.

I suspect the relationship between saddle and bar height, plus STA and ETT change the relationship with a saddle.

Aug. 6, 2022, 7:09 a.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

What makes butts go to sleep I wonder? On a recent ride at the top of a two hour climb everyone in the group couldn't feel their butts.

My guess would be a saddle that's too narrow. If a saddle is the correct width then your weight is carried through the sit bones. If anything most stock saddles will be too narrow for some which means you're carrying your weight between the sit bones.

Aug. 6, 2022, 2:51 p.m.

A couple of years ago I saw a guy at whistler bike park with a brooks B17 on his dh bike.  I wanted his autograph.

Aug. 8, 2022, 7:28 a.m.

I've used a few different saddles over the years - never fell in love with anything in particular. Right now, I'm pretty happy with my Specialized Bridge. It comes in a few different price points (mainly due to rail material), and a few different widths as well. It's nearly two years old now, and has stood up surprisingly well.

Many shops will have some kind of butt measuring machine that analyzes where your sit bones are, and can help suggest a saddle size and shape.

Aug. 8, 2022, 7:40 a.m.

Posted by: BC_Nuggets

A couple of years ago I saw a guy at whistler bike park with a brooks B17 on his dh bike. I wanted his autograph.

I had a leather saddle [waterproof version] on my 2009 SC Nomad for a few years. Super comfy and held up much better than I expected.

Last edited by: Vikb on Aug. 8, 2022, 7:40 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 8, 2022, 9:13 a.m.

Posted by: Vikb

Posted by: BC_Nuggets

A couple of years ago I saw a guy at whistler bike park with a brooks B17 on his dh bike. I wanted his autograph.

I had a leather saddle [waterproof version] on my 2009 SC Nomad for a few years. Super comfy and held up much better than I expected.

Back in the 80s the saddle to have was an Ideale Model 92. Similar to Brooks but French. The 92 IIRC was the shorter woman’s model. Never owned one.

Aug. 8, 2022, 9:27 a.m.

Posted by: andy-eunson

Back in the 80s the saddle to have was an Ideale Model 92. Similar to Brooks but French. The 92 IIRC was the shorter woman’s model. Never owned one.

I am pretty comfy on plastic saddles for MTB rides even all day affairs since there is a decent amount of standing. I only find saddle comfort get challenging for long seated rides. I could make leather saddles work fine for MTB use, but they usually require more maintenance so it's easier to stick with plastic unless comfort becomes an issue. That said people in all sorts of climates did fine with leather saddles for a long time so it's not like they explode into dust with hard use.

Aug. 8, 2022, 2:21 p.m.

What I like about the trailmaster is it seems to be comfortable for me in various parts of the saddle and at various levels of upright to bent forward.  As long as I have the fore/aft and tilt set right for me.

My B17 (on my gravel/commuter) is super comfortable in one spot as long as the seat and bar positions are just right.  Outside of that range and me no likey.