What is wrong with users of mountain bicycles? And why do they get so emotional on the announcement of a new bottom bracket?

Jan. 24, 2018, 6:01 p.m.

I've always thought wheel size should be directly related to body size. Could anything be more logical?

Jan. 24, 2018, 6:16 p.m.

Honest question for people... when you break something and want to ride right now, do you generally have no issues getting a replacement part on the spot at the first LBS you visit?

In my experience I’ve found I get whatever I need faster from the UK or Germany. I always try LBS first in these situations.

Cam, what stores scoffed at stocking additional shrapnel?

Last edited by: ReductiMat on Jan. 24, 2018, 7:12 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 24, 2018, 7:05 p.m.

Posted by: blackfly

There was a time when you could mix something old with something new and it worked, worked fine and perhaps better than what is out there, but now it is all about new, and it is not so much for the "better" factor but to get you to buy new.

Jan. 25, 2018, 10:27 a.m.

Posted by: ReductiMat

Honest question for people... when you break something and want to ride right now, do you generally have no issues getting a replacement part on the spot at the first LBS you visit?

In my experience I’ve found I get whatever I need faster from the UK or Germany. I always try LBS first in these situations.

Cam, what stores scoffed at stocking additional shrapnel?

Anything Shimano has always been available at my LBS.  I don't fuck with SRAM anymore.  Pikes don't count.

I haven't lived there in over 15 years but when I was there whistlers shops were understandably lacking in small parts.

Jan. 25, 2018, 10:43 a.m.

For consumables like rotors, pads, chains, tires, I keep extra stock at home.

Otherwise I just ride the secondary bike, or borrow smaller parts from my secondary bike, ie. Drivetrain, brakes, cockpit.

Bigger things like fork and wheels, I personally wouldn't just waltz into a shop and buy on the spot anyways

Jan. 25, 2018, 12:15 p.m.

Posted by: tashi

Posted by: ReductiMat

I haven't lived there in over 15 years but when I was there whistlers shops were understandably lacking in small parts.

This is definitely not the case now. Fanatykco has an incredible selections of specialty bits. Considering the range of bikes they have to be ready to support plus whatever limps out of the bike park ready to blame them for ruining their vacation I'd say they do better than city shops. They even havespare shocks available.

Jan. 25, 2018, 12:20 p.m.

Yeah, I’d hope things have improved up there by now. The growth in lift Bikin has been staggering.

Jan. 25, 2018, 5:05 p.m.

Fanatykco were the ones who kept me riding for the last two weeks because they had the shrapnel needed to get that Zee crank on my Tues.  They had to order in a new Fox DHX2 for me though, as I managed to crack something inside my Fox Float shock.  Forutnately, it only took them two days to get it in.

When I went there to see if they could find a crank that fit, he did the, "Oh man, I don't know...", went to one of his many small-parts-holders and came up aces.  We cheered.  I was lucky he said.

Every year I always think, "Alright!  I've got all the parts that will likely break in duplicate".. last year I managed to break a fucking headset cup.  Only one store had my headset sizing (Evolution) and lucky for me it was a cheap Chris King one.  They didn't actually have the crown race, but fortunately I punctured the top one, so I ran a frankenstein headset.  Chris King on top, CC on the bottom.  They had to order in the race.

Scoff indeed.

Jan. 28, 2018, 12:01 p.m.

Posted by: g_k

Hi,

Help me out. The comment section of a certain pink web page is cooking over of hate towards SRAM on releasing DUB. Why? Not getting it.

a.) It is only about bottom brackets, not the end of the world. Nobody gets killed using or not using it.

b.) It is not the only bottom bracket in the world, nor are people forced to buy it.

c.) Regardless what people say, looking back now on 1990 when I started riding MTBs, bikes have never been that good and that affordable as today (Disclaimer: Of course you can spent 12000 CAD on a bike, but a third of the money gives you the same riding experience)

Why the hate?

Mostly only industry folks uses the the word hate. Mountain bikers might use disappointed. What ever word you use, the fear and the reason for it are real. I hear all the time you do not have to adopt the new standards. Everything is better now than it was X years ago. Truth the new 27.5 and 29 inche bikes are heavier. They have to be they are bigger. And the biggest fear! You do not build tires, untapered steer tubes or even 26 inch forks. Although you can use a 27.5 on a 26 frame if it has a tapered head tube.

It is obvious they are discontinuing older standards to force us to spend money to upgrade to standards that are not better and in some cases inferior. I mention the press fit bottom bracket. So industry talking heads stop using the word stiffer nobody ever notices. We just keep having fun.

Last edited by: dorse on Jan. 28, 2018, 12:02 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spelling
Jan. 28, 2018, 12:42 p.m.

Posted by: craw

Posted by: craw

We are fully in a golden age of bikes. Amazing, varied, great pedalling, light, reasonably durable, and a huge range of options? Yes. Affordable, no.

Golden age is past.  I remember  when any BB could work in any bike, you only worried about 26" wheels, whether it was high pivot or 4 bar link and it ran a front derailleur so you could use pretty much any rear cog and rear derailleur.  Most high end frames were hand welded in Canada or the US, and copious amounts of CNC machining was the norm.  But a bike for life doesn't make the industry much money, does it.....

I am building a new bike now with all new parts, and it seems the more compartmentalized you can make it, the better.  I can't understand the thinking behind fat bikes, although I like them, in the fact that:  where are you going to find tires, parts, hubs and all of the ancillary specific parts in 5 years?  10?  Being a fan of Hope, they have a fully Hope bike that uses its own hub standard and Hope fitting.  Nice to begin with but not very sensible long term.  I remember a time when the long term part was a given,  if that sounds a bit naive.

Even if a bike could last forever would you want to ride it forever? Technology, attitudes, skills and trails evolve. There are plenty of bikes from the 90s still around but likely you're not riding one every day for one of these reasons.

I get a new bike every 2-3 seasons. That's about as long as it takes me to wear it out, and that's about as long as it takes each batch of new ideas to solidify. My current bike is by a wide margin the best bike I've ever had. Better than any XC or DH or freeride bike I've ever had. Not only is it better in all of those respective categories but it's lighter and more reliable too.

I don't really get fat bikes either but then again I don't live in Minnesota or Michigan, where they have a huge scene built around fat bikes. For some people in some places they are clearly awesome. 

Maybe you weren't working in shops in the early 90s when shops stocked 68/78 shell BBs in a dozen axle widths and before that they were dealing with a mix of old road standards. Or when 6 speed freewheels switched to 7 speed cassettes then 8,9,10 and beyond. And then Gripshift then SRAM showed up. We have never had drivetrain interchangeability.

It is funny you would challenge the statement with "weren't working around shops etc...".  I was around.  At least then you could cook something up to make it work, and usually just fine.  Now, adapt or nothing works.  Convenient marketing.  Moreover, when everyone had 26" wheels, it was easy and a given that the tire would fit, and to find tubes (I prefer them for the longevity).  My current bike has Suntour XC Pro 8 speed shifters on them:  why?  They work and don't break, and how old is that?  (I have a spare set just in case).  

There was a time when you could mix something old with something new and it worked, worked fine and perhaps better than what is out there, but now it is all about new, and it is not so much for the "better" factor but to get you to buy new.  

FWIW:  just think how many good older frames are now obsolete if 27.5 or 29 is the norm.  Consider a Chris Bailey handbuilt, fillet brazed thunderbolt but alas, no 26 inch wheels.  Progress?

You can still get 26 inch carbon rims from China and Lightbike. They have four 26 inch offerings.

https://www.lightbicycle.com/carbon-mountain-bike/carbon-mountain-bike-rim/26er.

Very light and half the price of Stan no Tubes carbon rims.

Jan. 29, 2018, 10:36 a.m.

Posted by: dorse

Posted by: g_k

Hi,

Help me out. The comment section of a certain pink web page is cooking over of hate towards SRAM on releasing DUB. Why? Not getting it.

a.) It is only about bottom brackets, not the end of the world. Nobody gets killed using or not using it.

b.) It is not the only bottom bracket in the world, nor are people forced to buy it.

c.) Regardless what people say, looking back now on 1990 when I started riding MTBs, bikes have never been that good and that affordable as today (Disclaimer: Of course you can spent 12000 CAD on a bike, but a third of the money gives you the same riding experience)

Why the hate?

Mostly only industry folks uses the the word hate. Mountain bikers might use disappointed. What ever word you use, the fear and the reason for it are real. I hear all the time you do not have to adopt the new standards. Everything is better now than it was X years ago. Truth the new 27.5 and 29 inche bikes are heavier. They have to be they are bigger. And the biggest fear! You do not build tires, untapered steer tubes or even 26 inch forks. Although you can use a 27.5 on a 26 frame if it has a tapered head tube.

It is obvious they are discontinuing older standards to force us to spend money to upgrade to standards that are not better and in some cases inferior. I mention the press fit bottom bracket. So industry talking heads stop using the word stiffer nobody ever notices. We just keep having fun.

Nobody forced me onto 29" wheels. For me they are better in every possible way. I was chomping at the bit for an option that fit me better and rejoiced when one became available. Early 29er bikes sucked so I sat back. When good slack 27.5" bikes came out I thought they were an improvement but not good enough to justify swapping bikes so I sat back. Then the Enduro 29 came out and suddenly it all worked. Long travel, steep STA (for the time), short chainstays, big ass wheels and appropriate tires. Finally. Couldn't care less that it's heavier because it works better for me, period. 

Not sure where you live but around here weight isn't everything. It doesn't matter how little something weighs if it doesn't work well or survive. Lot of people around here ride what would be considered heavy bikes anywhere else.

I guess my point is that for some of us these evolutions represent products for edge case users that didn't exist before. Option that might seem superfluous if they don't apply to you.

Jan. 29, 2018, 5:33 p.m.

at 32 lbs for an entry level 6000$ mtn bike ok maybe its a bit heavier but its still faster up and down.

I hadn't bought a new mtn bike in 12 yrs, got on a 29 enduro and everything just works better so cha-ching, the shitfting is next level I know that 12 yrs ago I could not run a mtn bike for a season and not drop a chain, better brakes, better suspension, better handling, with 29" wheels I don't need to pick a line ... I just ride over everything

Last edited by: XXX_er on Jan. 29, 2018, 5:34 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 29, 2018, 6:24 p.m.

For reasons that fascinate me, hobby-industries can typically poop in a bucket and everyone assumes it is a step forward.  For non-hobby industries, there is some serious scrutiny on any and all changes that break shit.

While this topic would be best suited for a behavioral psychological journal, it'd be great to see a hobby-based media company investigating such a thing.  That said, it'd likely result in reduced revenue.

Life is really hard.