What is wrong with users of mountain bicycles? And why do they get so emotional on the announcement of a new bottom bracket?

Jan. 19, 2018, 11:20 a.m.

Hi,

Help me out. The comment section of a certain pink web page is cooking over of hate towards SRAM on releasing DUB. Why? Not getting it.

a.) It is only about bottom brackets, not the end of the world. Nobody gets killed using or not using it.

b.) It is not the only bottom bracket in the world, nor are people forced to buy it.

c.) Regardless what people say, looking back now on 1990 when I started riding MTBs, bikes have never been that good and that affordable as today (Disclaimer: Of course you can spent 12000 CAD on a bike, but a third of the money gives you the same riding experience) 

Why the hate?

Last edited by: g_k on Jan. 19, 2018, 11:20 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 19, 2018, 12:03 p.m.

Because now they gotta' spend beaucoup $$$$$$$$$ to keep their ride drool worthy at the trailhead, eh?

Jan. 19, 2018, 12:08 p.m.

Rich peoples lives are good enough that luxury consumption choices are what we left to object to.  

<div>Welcome to the first world. </div>

Jan. 19, 2018, 12:12 p.m.

...that being said I’m not interested in a new B.B. format, but I won’t waste my limited time on bitching about it. I’ll just continue to not buy SRAM stuff (except Pikes of course, Pikes are excellent).

Jan. 19, 2018, 9:17 p.m.

Posted by: g_k

Hi,

Help me out. The comment section of a certain pink web page is cooking over of hate towards SRAM on releasing DUB. Why? Not getting it.

a.) It is only about bottom brackets, not the end of the world. Nobody gets killed using or not using it.

b.) It is not the only bottom bracket in the world, nor are people forced to buy it.

c.) Regardless what people say, looking back now on 1990 when I started riding MTBs, bikes have never been that good and that affordable as today (Disclaimer: Of course you can spent 12000 CAD on a bike, but a third of the money gives you the same riding experience) 

Why the hate?

Because it's complete and utter shit.

I can appreciate your need to post this if your well being is tied to bringing bread to your table, but until "the industry" can quantify the benefits beyond the tasting notes of a wine dilettante, it's shit.

Circa 2014ish, remember when the "engineers" told us how 650b was perfect for downhill, but 29'ers didn't work for it?

In a perfect world, the marketing copy would read, "This is the newest shit we're throwing against the wall, hope it fucking sticks because no one else is tooled to deliver this!1!!1".

Jan. 20, 2018, 2:59 a.m.

Posted by: g_k

Hi,

Why the hate?

Your post if far too rational. This is the internet!

Jan. 20, 2018, 8:42 a.m.

We are fully in a golden age of bikes. Amazing, varied, great pedalling, light, reasonably durable, and a huge range of options? Yes. Affordable, no.

Jan. 20, 2018, 3:57 p.m.

A big part of the outrage is 1.01mm difference. 

1. Fricken. Mm.

Could they not foresee inadequate sealing when they first brought 30mm axle cranks to market in their 'lab' tests? What was the engineering process 'back then'?

Jan. 20, 2018, 6:57 p.m.

Yeah, I really don't get all the wining either. It's a bottom bracket. Unless you buy new SRAM cranks this has no impact on your life. Being able to swap cranks between bikes is a good thing IMHO, but I can already do that with all of my Shimano cranks.

Jan. 20, 2018, 7:09 p.m.

As has been mentioned many times, the more SKU's a shop needs to stock, the greater the chance the shop won't have what you need when you need it.

That said, I'm at the point where I simply stock everything myself for the season.  It's a lose-lose for everyone selling shit from stores around me.

Jan. 21, 2018, 12:51 p.m.

Posted by: UFO

A big part of the outrage is 1.01mm difference. 

1. Fricken. Mm.

Could they not foresee inadequate sealing when they first brought 30mm axle cranks to market in their 'lab' tests? What was the engineering process 'back then'?

Well, truth is that the idea of putting a BB30 axle in a normal frame is not SRAMs nor do they produce or endorse this combination (looking at you, Race Face). For normal frames they have GXP 24mm axles. 

So a lot of people blame SRAM for something thats not from SRAM. Thats the first issue I have. To downsize BB30 to something not as small as GXP to then consequently not require a steel spindel while gaining compatiblity with all(!) frames, being then lighter and have (marginally) larger bearings is in principle a smart move. 

I do agree that the press release and emphasis on 28.99 mm was not a smart move.

Jan. 21, 2018, 5:53 p.m.

People lapping up marketing copy that something is better without knowing if it's 0.000001% better or 75% better is only a smart move when the change is inconsequential and the costs are the same.

Jan. 21, 2018, 8:31 p.m.

Posted by: craw

We are fully in a golden age of bikes. Amazing, varied, great pedalling, light, reasonably durable, and a huge range of options? Yes. Affordable, no.

Golden age is past.  I remember  when any BB could work in any bike, you only worried about 26" wheels, whether it was high pivot or 4 bar link and it ran a front derailleur so you could use pretty much any rear cog and rear derailleur.  Most high end frames were hand welded in Canada or the US, and copious amounts of CNC machining was the norm.  But a bike for life doesn't make the industry much money, does it.....

I am building a new bike now with all new parts, and it seems the more compartmentalized you can make it, the better.  I can't understand the thinking behind fat bikes, although I like them, in the fact that:  where are you going to find tires, parts, hubs and all of the ancillary specific parts in 5 years?  10?  Being a fan of Hope, they have a fully Hope bike that uses its own hub standard and Hope fitting.  Nice to begin with but not very sensible long term.  I remember a time when the long term part was a given,  if that sounds a bit naive.

Jan. 22, 2018, 9 a.m.

I still have one of them 15 or 20 yar old  golden age steel HT's setup for bike touring but nowdays one can buy a nice commuter with 700 wheels for about 700 $ which is faster and has better brakes & everything

Not sure where you live but fat bikes make a lot of sense up narth in the 5 months of winter, a dealer in PG recently had a fat bike demo in the snow, 50 people came out lots of interest and 1 bike sold which is pretty good for a demo

Last edited by: XXX_er on Jan. 22, 2018, 9:02 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 22, 2018, 9:29 a.m.

Posted by: blackfly

Posted by: craw

Golden age is past.  I remember  when any BB could work in any bike, you only worried about 26" wheels, whether it was high pivot or 4 bar link and it ran a front derailleur so you could use pretty much any rear cog and rear derailleur.  Most high end frames were hand welded in Canada or the US, and copious amounts of CNC machining was the norm.  But a bike for life doesn't make the industry much money, does it.....

I am building a new bike now with all new parts, and it seems the more compartmentalized you can make it, the better.  I can't understand the thinking behind fat bikes, although I like them, in the fact that:  where are you going to find tires, parts, hubs and all of the ancillary specific parts in 5 years?  10?  Being a fan of Hope, they have a fully Hope bike that uses its own hub standard and Hope fitting.  Nice to begin with but not very sensible long term.  I remember a time when the long term part was a given,  if that sounds a bit naive.

Even if a bike could last forever would you want to ride it forever? Technology, attitudes, skills and trails evolve. There are plenty of bikes from the 90s still around but likely you're not riding one every day for one of these reasons.

I get a new bike every 2-3 seasons. That's about as long as it takes me to wear it out, and that's about as long as it takes each batch of new ideas to solidify. My current bike is by a wide margin the best bike I've ever had. Better than any XC or DH or freeride bike I've ever had. Not only is it better in all of those respective categories but it's lighter and more reliable too.

I don't really get fat bikes either but then again I don't live in Minnesota or Michigan, where they have a huge scene built around fat bikes. For some people in some places they are clearly awesome. 

Maybe you weren't working in shops in the early 90s when shops stocked 68/78 shell BBs in a dozen axle widths and before that they were dealing with a mix of old road standards. Or when 6 speed freewheels switched to 7 speed cassettes then 8,9,10 and beyond. And then Gripshift then SRAM showed up. We have never had drivetrain interchangeability.