What is the best HT MTB around $1,000?

July 19, 2019, 7:53 a.m.

Posted by: pedalhound

I agree, I used to be a full suspension snob like nouseforaname, but the new progressive HT's are pretty amazing.

Here's another one to look at:

https://www.marinbikes.com/ca/bikes/2019-mountain-hardtail-trail-27.5-san-quentin-1

I've logged 600+KM on dirt on a 2019 Chromag Primer 29r since April 15 - squamish, loamers, whistler, epic ish rides. I know how good the new progressive HTs are.

But..... Coming 'back into the sport' why beat yourself up? Sorry if i hurt anyones feelings with the hardtails are for poors comments. It's still true though. 95% of folks who have a hardtail that they ride around here, do so with a FS bike in their quiver also.

Hardtails are fun, but hardtails make things harder. Why would you want that as a novice, or returning rider? That's just backwards. Unless it's for budgetary reasons - which is the best reason to ride a hardtail (other than also possessing a desire to be whipped and spanked in your off bike time. In that case only riding a hardtail makes perfect sense.) 

If it's because you enjoy making things harder for yourself OP - buy a hardtail. Flaunt your masochistic tendency every chance you get - don't ever let anyone know how much more awkward a hardtail has made things; just act like it's the most normal thing in the world. Read some (all) of Andrew Majors posts (even though even he has a FS bike). Embrace the life.

Or - buy a second hand full suspension bike - (re)grow your skills faster and rock the trails.

Last edited by: nouseforaname on July 19, 2019, 9:12 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 22, 2019, 8:38 p.m.

Depending on the length of your legs, an XL hardtail from most of the main manufacturers (like from your initial list above) will probably fit you at 6'4". If you have freakishly long legs - that is, a long inseam - then most will be too small.

I had but recently sold a Norco Torrent HT that was awesome, but turns out it was too short in the seat-tube for me and my saddle was super high out of the frame at full height. That said, the Torrent was about $2,000 brand new and is a solid bike for big guys.

If the Torrent fits you in XL and you can find a used one for sale, it's a great option that won't break the bank.

July 23, 2019, 1:44 p.m.

Posted by: nouseforaname

I've logged 600+KM on dirt on a 2019 Chromag Primer 29r since April 15 - squamish, loamers, whistler, epic ish rides. I know how good the new progressive HTs are.

But..... Coming 'back into the sport' why beat yourself up? Sorry if i hurt anyones feelings with the hardtails are for poors comments. It's still true though. 95% of folks who have a hardtail that they ride around here, do so with a FS bike in their quiver also.

I went a few years with a bike quiver: 29er hardtail and modern DH bike. By choice. 

I can’t say I’d purchase another hardtail if looking for another bike. I get a DoctaHawk and I’m riding the same trails as on my MOJO G16 29 but without 6+”  of rear wheel travel likely at the same weight as well. 

The new crop of short travel trail bikes are ace too. Geometry has caught up and likely better than my 29 HT. NIColai Saturn, new NS 120mm trail bike, Mondraker, Giant Anthem. 

I’ve noticed the 2017-2019 thing to do is yell: “HEY EVERYBODY. LOOK AT ME.  I’M RIDING A HARDTAIL ON THESE TRAILS!  IM MORE CORE THAN YOU BECAUSE OF IT.” 

Bikes hold almost zero value besides what the seller believes they have. Find some 29ers from a few years ago and politely lowball the seller.

July 23, 2019, 4:06 p.m.

Hardtails are fun, but hardtails make things harder. Why would you want that as a novice, or returning rider? That's just backwards. Unless it's for budgetary reasons - which is the best reason to ride a hardtail (other than also possessing a desire to be whipped and spanked in your off bike time. In that case only riding a hardtail makes perfect sense.) 

If it's because you enjoy making things harder for yourself OP - buy a hardtail. Flaunt your masochistic tendency every chance you get - don't ever let anyone know how much more awkward a hardtail has made things; just act like it's the most normal thing in the world. Read some (all) of Andrew Majors posts (even though even he has a FS bike). Embrace the life.

Or - buy a second hand full suspension bike - (re)grow your skills faster and rock the trails.

Isn't it a bit self righteous to be assuming to know why someone might want a hardtail and what another rider considers to be fun?

I also tend to highly disagree that one will "(re)grow your skills faster" on a fs bike than a hardtail. just because they might be riding faster sooner with a fs bike doesn't mean their skills are progressing faster than on a hardtail.

July 29, 2019, 9:27 p.m.

One of my friends bought a Commencal hardtail on my recommendation.  He loves it. 

https://www.commencalusa.com/meta-ht-am-ride-29-c2x29149197

July 30, 2019, 7:56 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

Isn't it a bit self righteous to be assuming to know why someone might want a hardtail and what another rider considers to be fun?

I also tend to highly disagree that one will "(re)grow your skills faster" on a fs bike than a hardtail. just because they might be riding faster sooner with a fs bike doesn't mean their skills are progressing faster than on a hardtail.

Well I'm a self righteous asshole a bunch in real life too.