What happened to the pedalable 7" bikes?

April 26, 2012, 10:29 p.m.

haha I was just about to post that video.

I ride the same stuff on my 4-5" hardtail as my 6-7" fs bike and always wonder why I bother with the bigger bike.

April 26, 2012, 10:32 p.m.

IMG_2555-2.jpg by crashmtb, on Flickr

Mine also self balances. Though it's so heavy it creates its own gravity.

April 27, 2012, 12:14 a.m.

My bad on the Coves; took another look at the STD/STI and am confused. In all the pics, it has a single ring in front with a chainguide, but it also mentions that there's a top swing front derailleur option…need to give them a call and check into that. Looks like a good deal on the complete build, IMHO.

To split hairs though, was looking at bikes with two rings up front, out of the box (or out of the showroom). None of the " hey, you could ditch the chainguide and spend a few hundred more on a front shifter, derailleur, and a two ring setup". As it is now, even still (after all the options graciously thrown out), I've only seen a couple of bikes with that 2x9 or 10 option out there from a factory build. From that particular standpoint, the SX Trail and the Truax (perhaps the Cove, I'll clarify that) are the only showroom ready bikes with a two-ring front setup. Feel free to add ones I haven't seen. ;)

The Uzzi looks so gaddamn sexy, it's hard to concentrate. But also very expensive. Edit- the new ones look great, but the older versions, as I've read (not experienced and probably wouldn't at my riding level) have issues with rear triangle flexiness.

-C

April 27, 2012, 5:52 a.m.

There may be a bit of flex in the Uzzi swingarm but I don't notice it, so don't let that be a major detraction from the frame.

April 27, 2012, 7:48 a.m.

The bike is so well balanced it just stands by itself.

It only really falls over when I get on it.

LOL.. hahahah nice one.

April 27, 2012, 8:23 a.m.

hahahah this is what happened to them..

you guys all lose.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Is-Your-XC-Bike-This-Fun-to-Ride.html

thanks for that amazing video.

The reality seems to be: The new breed of bikes equal or exceed the performance of bikes with more suspension from a couple years ago. Do more with less.

April 27, 2012, 8:28 a.m.

Transition Blindside falls into this category.

case rested..

I really don't know why people are still posting on this thread. My learned friends Messrs Shirk and Connor have answered the question.

April 28, 2012, 10:58 p.m.

Ok, so it's firmly stated, they're still out there.

The other opinion is to do "more with less".

Would a said individual feel comfortable taking a less slack, 160mm bike to Whistler to hit Freight Train or A Line if were forced to have a one-bike quiver?

April 28, 2012, 11:20 p.m.

Wait doesn't Knolly still make the Delirium?

160mm+ rear with a 170mm fork sounds pretty darn good in my books

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

April 29, 2012, 1:30 a.m.

Would a said individual feel comfortable taking a less slack, 160mm bike to Whistler to hit Freight Train or A Line if were forced to have a one-bike quiver?

Yes, and I have done so many times last year. Granted, I stay away from the gnar chunder trails….

April 29, 2012, 9:26 a.m.

For a trip, yes.
For twenty days in the park, no.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

April 29, 2012, 10:01 a.m.

I have a Nomad and I am amazed at how capable it is with a 55 RC3 Ti up front. I can't imagine wanting anything more if I was going to pedal up anything. Climbs amazing, even with 1x10 and a coil shock with the super plush "push link". Also running -1.5D angleset. Feels low and slack and very similar to my V10 shrunk down. Freight Train and Aline? No problem. In Deep and Goats? Sure, just not at race pace. 4 days at the park would be fine, 40 days I'll take a V10.

April 29, 2012, 10:12 a.m.

I've taken everything from a steel 'xc' hardtail with 2004 Z1s to a Session 10 with Shivers into the park and had a good laugh on everything. Admittedly Joyride got a bit 'interesting' at one point on the HT…..but I'm still alive. Depends what you want from your day and your abilities. I'm sure all the slopeystyle doods hit up Crabapple hits on DJ HTs with no problems….

treezz
wow you are a ass

April 29, 2012, 10:14 a.m.

I've taken everything from a steel 'xc' hardtail with 2004 Z1s to a Session 10 with Shivers into the park and had a good laugh on everything. Admittedly Joyride got a bit 'interesting' at one point on the HT…..but I'm still alive. Depends what you want from your day and your abilities. I'm sure all the slopeystyle doods hit up Crabapple hits on DJ HTs with no problems….

just because you can doesn't always mean that you should. Comfort and margin for error count for a lot when we're talking about longevity.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

April 29, 2012, 10:48 a.m.

just because you can doesn't always mean that you should. Comfort and margin for error count for a lot when we're talking about longevity.

The longevity of the rider maybe, but my 2006 Reynolds 853 frame did a season of guiding in Whistler, endless Shore rides and I only sold it on a year or so ago as I found the head angle a bit steep. Conversely I've seen countless broken alu DH frames during this time period (including my Session 10). Obviously if it was physically possible to ride an XC bike at the same speed down Goats Gully as a DH bike, then the DH bike will last longer but it's not.

I'm sure I'll take my Chromag Aperture into the Park this year, and I'll pretty well guarantee the frame will not fail. Who buys a DH bike for comfort?! If you find it comfortable, you are going too slow.

treezz
wow you are a ass