What happened to the pedalable 7" bikes?

April 26, 2012, 12:50 p.m.

I've often seen this with people who come for BC Bike Race with an 80mm xc racerc which is more than enough travel at home for the most tech trails, but here on the island would leave you broken…

I remember a couple years ago a half dozen frames were broken by the time they got to Earls Cove!
Those Olympic XC bikes probably aren't the best choice for coastal BC unless you are a dedicated XC racer

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

April 26, 2012, 1:05 p.m.

I think that they're going back to the lift served crowd, and the all mountain crowd, and leaving us in the dust to fangle with head tube angle sets to get the slack geometry we want.

Yup. Most people who want to ride gnar, would prefer to shuttle an 8" behemoth. And most people who want to pedal up, prefer not to ride gnar.

The emerging exceptions seem to be park-specific bikes like the Entourage, and some of bikes aimed at enduro racing with 170mm Lyriks. And of course the other ones mentioned here that are kinda leftovers from the FR era.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

April 26, 2012, 1:52 p.m.

another for the Uzzi, it's pretty awesome.

34ish lbs, pedals well, descends great and can be lowered and slacked out for bike park laps.

April 26, 2012, 2:07 p.m.

Don't forget we're in our own world here in BC. Travel anywhere else and their idea of a dh / xc bike changes considerably.

Last year in Bend we hit up the double black diamond trails and really didn't need more than 4 inches of travel.

I've often seen this with people who come for BC Bike Race with an 80mm xc racerc which is more than enough travel at home for the most tech trails, but here on the island would leave you broken…

This. It applies to bike genres, amounts of suspension, tires, even rotor sizes.

She said, why don't you stop your crying/
Go outside and ride your bike
- Sliver, Nirvana

"If stars were all that mattered, why would I go to the trouble of writing a review?" - Roger Ebert

April 26, 2012, 2:22 p.m.

April 26, 2012, 3:38 p.m.

Don't forget we're in our own world here in BC. Travel anywhere else and their idea of a dh / xc bike changes considerably.

Last year in Bend we hit up the double black diamond trails and really didn't need more than 4 inches of travel.

Same goes for the skiing… The mentality out here is a lot more gnar-savvy than outside of 'here'.

I was talking with my wife about the absence of "freeride" models in several/many manufacturers' line ups. I'm a little perplexed, thinking more product covers more wants of the buying public, therefore translates into more sales/potential market share. My wife had a great counterpoint - collude industry wide to remove a sub-category of products, therefore increasing sales on a slimmer line-up of products. Saves R[HTML_REMOVED]D and product manufacturing costs.

Wvr, I couldn't be happier with my SXC90, but it's not a bike for the WBP. No way.

"I'm addicted to surfing."

April 26, 2012, 3:44 p.m.

Yup. Most people who want to ride gnar, would prefer to shuttle an 8" behemoth. And most people who want to pedal up, prefer not to ride gnar.

The emerging exceptions seem to be park-specific bikes like the Entourage, and some of bikes aimed at enduro racing with 170mm Lyriks. And of course the other ones mentioned here that are kinda leftovers from the FR era.

I'd say that modern AM bikes are getting so good downhill that the need for a heavy bike that you can just about pedal up is getting less and less.

After all, there's very little gnar that you can't ride on a modern 150mm bike. Sure you won't be as fast as on a DH bike, but that's what shuttle days are for. If you're getting in and out under your own steam you generally don't want to go quite as balls out as you would when shuttling anyway as you still need to pedal yourself out of there!

April 26, 2012, 4:51 p.m.

I have an enduro evo 33lb and coil sprung its awsome

April 26, 2012, 5:03 p.m.

Norco Truax?

Shed head!

April 26, 2012, 6 p.m.

Damn that's nice…

April 26, 2012, 8:21 p.m.

Knolly Chilcotin. Seriously.

April 26, 2012, 9:13 p.m.

They got cut up and thrown in the recycling bin where they belong! :trinity:

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

April 26, 2012, 10:12 p.m.

another for the Uzzi, it's pretty awesome.

34ish lbs, pedals well, descends great and can be lowered and slacked out for bike park laps.

How's that bike staying upright?

"I'm addicted to surfing."

April 26, 2012, 10:22 p.m.

How's that bike staying upright?

The bike is so well balanced it just stands by itself.

It only really falls over when I get on it.

April 26, 2012, 10:28 p.m.

hahahah this is what happened to them..

you guys all lose.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Is-Your-XC-Bike-This-Fun-to-Ride.html

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.