What happened to the pedalable 7" bikes?

April 25, 2012, 10:04 p.m.

Just venting here a bit. A while back, purchased my 2011 SX Trail. Awesome bike, but on a bad word of advice from someone in-the-know, I purchased a frame one size too small for my height. So I'm returning to the market to potentially sell mine off and find something else. Spesh just doesn't seem to make enough bikes/frames to find a size Large.

What I'm finding is remarkable. Looks like the industry is moving away from the self-shuttle 180mm bikes? A notable option was the Trek Scratch, but that is now gone, replaced with the 160mm Slash, and much more unattractive to me (not just because of the lack of travel). Devinci has done away with the Frantik. I checked out the Scott Voltage, but upon looking, it doesn't look like it has an option for a front derailleur. Looks the same for the Cove bikes. I the HTA of the Giant Faith seems steep (unless you're Kurt Sorge who could ride a Huffy on the terrain that he does), and although the Reign X looks cool for most stuff, I'm not sure it would do well at the Whistler bike park. One viable option seems to be the Norco Truax. But are we really running out of options? Or is this being phased out due to such a niche not making any money, or is it up to me (us) to do more with a smaller bike? I can't include a bigger bike, because I can't pedal a Demo up the Mtn Hwy on Fromme (though someone probably could).

I want a bike that can handle rough terrain (granted, the technology of bigger suspension helps out an average guy like myself who wants to go to the rough terrain of the Shore) and still pedal, although it might be laborous.

What am I forgetting about? Truax, SX Trail, Giant Faith. Dying breed? What say you.

Chad

April 25, 2012, 10:09 p.m.

Just venting here a bit. A while back, purchased my 2011 SX Trail. Awesome bike, but on a bad word of advice from someone in-the-know, I purchased a frame one size too small for my height. So I'm returning to the market to potentially sell mine off and find something else. Spesh just doesn't seem to make enough bikes/frames to find a size Large.

What I'm finding is remarkable. Looks like the industry is moving away from the self-shuttle 180mm bikes? A notable option was the Trek Scratch, but that is now gone, replaced with the 160mm Slash, and much more unattractive to me (not just because of the lack of travel). Devinci has done away with the Frantik. I checked out the Scott Voltage, but upon looking, it doesn't look like it has an option for a front derailleur. Looks the same for the Cove bikes. I the HTA of the Giant Faith seems steep (unless you're Kurt Sorge who could ride a Huffy on the terrain that he does), and although the Reign X looks cool for most stuff, I'm not sure it would do well at the Whistler bike park. One viable option seems to be the Norco Truax. But are we really running out of options? Or is this being phased out due to such a niche not making any money, or is it up to me (us) to do more with a smaller bike? I can't include a bigger bike, because I can't pedal a Demo up the Mtn Hwy on Fromme (though someone probably could).

I want a bike that can handle rough terrain (granted, the technology of bigger suspension helps out an average guy like myself who wants to go to the rough terrain of the Shore) and still pedal, although it might be laborous.

What am I forgetting about? Truax, SX Trail, Giant Faith. Dying breed? What say you.

Chad

I agree. I ride a RM SXC 90, great - great bike. I love it. Not that old, maybe a 2008 or '09 model. Now that I'm back into it, I HAD to look at what else is out there… I was surprised - where'd the 180s go??

So ya, valid question - but don't have the answers. But it's an interesting observation fo'shizzle.

"I'm addicted to surfing."

April 25, 2012, 10:11 p.m.

My Bullit pedals ok now I've got a u-turn fork, though thats made me go back down to 160mm on the front with 180mm on the rear so not quite your 7". Could still do with being able to lock out the rear shock though!

April 25, 2012, 10:18 p.m.

being phased out for mid travel 29'ers???

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

April 25, 2012, 10:37 p.m.

My Bullit pedals ok now I've got a u-turn fork, though thats made me go back down to 160mm on the front with 180mm on the rear so not quite your 7". Could still do with being able to lock out the rear shock though!

EXACTLY. Which leads me to my next observation….rear coil shocks without propedal/ or similar option in this genre.

I had to backpedal to a 2009 DHX 4.0 coil (couldn't afford a 5.0 used coil…on a strict budget) just to get a propedal option back for my bike. It's an FSR, so of course, it pedals with lots of bob, although I do focus on smooth pedaling.

I called FOX today to talk to them about the DHX RC4, but they didn't have a solid answer for me. "Uhh….it could be, but it's not set up for that". And even though I don't have anything against a long travel air shock, the reviews out there on the DHX 5.0 Air aren't impressive. Disclaimer here; haven't heard much about the Vivid Air shock. But again, I'm on a budget so that's a moot point.

Sigh. I think that they're going back to the lift served crowd, and the all mountain crowd, and leaving us in the dust to fangle with head tube angle sets to get the slack geometry we want.

We need to rise above somehow. Can't Cam McCaul bring back the Scratch for us? Damn.

Crap, they don't even make the Rocky Mountain Slayer SS series anymore. Orphaned!

April 25, 2012, 10:51 p.m.

Pick up a Nomad. It's slightly less travel than you think you want, but the VPP will make it feel like more. It's a light weight all mountain bike so you know it's ready to climb, and I watched a 200 plus pound man slam it in the bike parks for a couple of years so it should hold up to your abuse.

April 25, 2012, 10:59 p.m.

1. Modern angles will make a whole pile more difference than an extra 20mm. (insert your mom joke here) Today's 160mm bikes are pretty effing capable.
2. Hammerschmidt? There are probably lots gathering dust in shops that'd sell em cheap…

Me. Car/Web Work. Twitter. FFFFound.

April 25, 2012, 11:07 p.m.

Maybe just bite the bullet and go down to 160mm?

After much hesitation I did and have been very impressed by how well I'm able to ride my old lines. Pedaling up has been more enjoyable too.

Lack of stock coil suspension in the 160mm market was a bit of a p.i.t.a though.

Or…

this?

https://nsmba.ca/product-category/memberships/

April 25, 2012, 11:09 p.m.

Cove STD as well as what others mentioned. Check out the Specialized Status too. Might be worth your time to sniff around a few shops to see if ghey have any Sratches laying around.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

April 25, 2012, 11:18 p.m.

1. Modern angles will make a whole pile more difference than an extra 20mm. (insert your mom joke here) Today's 160mm bikes are pretty effing capable.

serious question here as you're more in the know than i am, where is the line or crossover point these days in terms of rugged xc bikes vs light am bikes or are they essentially the same thing?

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

April 26, 2012, 12:18 a.m.

serious question here as you're more in the know than i am, where is the line or crossover point these days in terms of rugged xc bikes vs light am bikes or are they essentially the same thing?

Isn't the line drawn at the head tube angle, and bottom bracket height?

April 26, 2012, 12:29 a.m.

Check the Enduro Evo -

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCProduct.jsp?spid=62193[HTML_REMOVED]scid=1100[HTML_REMOVED]scname=Mountain

Slap on a 160-180 Talas and you'll be good to go. I tried it stock on Forbidden and was really impressed. At 6'2" 225lbs I'm not light but the bike was quite capable. Probably a bit of speed loss compared to a true dh bike but for climbing ability it more than makes up for it.

Play : Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

April 26, 2012, 2:52 a.m.

what about a knolly delirium?

April 26, 2012, 3:25 a.m.

Canfield One?

The new version is a lot burlier than the old One, though. Less XC and more DH, it just may be what you're looking for.

The best things in life all start with the letter B
Hooray for: Bacon, Bikeys, Boobies, Boards, and Beer!

April 26, 2012, 4:40 a.m.

intense uzzi

(im a long time intense rider, never owned or even ridden an uzzi though so cannot comment)

looks cool though