What happened to the pedalable 7" bikes?

May 2, 2012, 6:28 a.m.

Originally Posted by PUNKY

Anywho. Someone needs to post hat Hopkins "Freeride is dead" clip again.

Here you go…..

https://vimeo.com/26286235

Ironically, Hopkins doesn't ride a 7[HTML_REMOVED]7 bike and never has. I was talking to him when I put a 7" fork on my AM bike (6.7" rear- my first ever 7[HTML_REMOVED]7 "Freeride" bike). He figured they're too much compromise up and down, so he just rides his 8" for FR, or a 5" for pedally stuff.

May 2, 2012, 9:48 a.m.

Sweet pics.I think you just voided your warranty:lol:

Yeah, but I pulled the warning stickers off the forks, so I should be safe right? :)

Awesome pics Kram. I want to try one of those Blur 4x, think it would be ideal.

It was a hard decision to get rid of the 4X because it was a really fun bike. I wanted to keep it, but 3 bikes is enough and I needed to help fund my Nomad. In the end, the main reason I sold it is because I wanted a slacker bike without jacking the front higher as I was having a hard time switching back and forth between that and my V10 which sagged out to 4D slacker. So I went with a Nomad that I could put an angleset in. The first few rides on the Nomad I thought I'd made a mistake, but I've since grown to like the Nomad better. It's just that much harder to overpower, whereas you could quite easily find the limit of the 4X on the right terrain. I'd feel like I was going to tear the ass off it, but surprisingly I never did. While sometimes less is more, there are times when a little is not enough.

May 2, 2012, 12:31 p.m.

^^ holy fuck dude, I would never consider going that big on my 4x hahahaha. Is that second shot to flat? props to ya.

did your's get all flexy and squoodgy over the years? I think I finally have to retire mine because of this.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

May 2, 2012, 1:14 p.m.

^^ holy fuck dude, I would never consider going that big on my 4x hahahaha. Is that second shot to flat? props to ya.

did your's get all flexy and squoodgy over the years? I think I finally have to retire mine because of this.

Thanks mate. The second shot has a good smooth tranny out of view past the tree, so the landing was not too hard on the bike.

Mine did get a bit wobbly in the back, but not too bad once I rebuilt it.

Apparently the slop is a result of wear in the black link at the bottom that attaches to the chaistay and the BB. You can buy replacements for it on the SC website. I think this, plus a pro-pack rebuild kit and your frame should be as tight as it was when it was new. So I'm told. Also, as an alternative, you can file a millimetre or two off the axle that passes through that part, which allows you to tighten it up more. That's what I did and it was a decent improvement.

May 2, 2012, 1:17 p.m.

4x seemed to outperform the Nomad on the Grin 'n Holler jumps last night…:D

May 2, 2012, 1:33 p.m.

4x seemed to outperform the Nomad on the Grin 'n Holler jumps last night…:D

And it was very colour coordinated while doing it. I think the Nomad had the 4X on Antithesis though. Collectively good showing for a couple of old f@#$ers.

May 2, 2012, 1:50 p.m.

Just had my new 55 RC3 Ti lowered from 170mm to 160mm. Sometimes less is more.

are there spacers avaiable?

May 2, 2012, 2:55 p.m.

Naz lowered it for me. I'm not sure how this was achieved but he could sort you out I'm sure.

May 2, 2012, 3:08 p.m.

Delirium x2.

If I had to have one single bike it would be a Delirium (or something like it) with a light build.

x3

I am running the second gen. Delirium as my only bike. It's a bit on the chunky side w/ a coil shocky and stuff but it pedals and handles great (even tight uphill switchbacks are very managable). The weight does become a bit of a liability on some climbs. Not sure that I'm willing to sacrifice too much from my current build to get the weight down tho. I'm curious to see what refinements happen with the next generation that comes out.

May 2, 2012, 8:17 p.m.

Your name is SXT sounds like you need a SX Trail, unless you call your bike a SX Truax.

Anywho. Someone needs to post hat Hopkins "Freeride is dead" clip again.

I have an SX Trail ( read the OP), just ended up with one size too small on some advice I shouldn't have taken. As it stands now, the purchaser seems to have signed off, so I'll see if I can stretch the cockpit out a bit and keep it for a while. Shame ill miss out on the Truax, though. Sure was sexy.

May 2, 2012, 8:39 p.m.

Especially if the focus of your ride is gnar and steeps and most of your climbing is straight-up fireroads. When your riding is primarily straight up to go straight down, this style of bike does really well.

That's a good way to put it, and yes, that's where I'm at. Galbraith is 15 minutes from my front door, and the shore (including border crossing ) is about 1hr 10min. Most of the stuff I'm interested in getting better at/learning involves fire road climbs and gravity descents. Combined with true fact I'd like to try out Whistler this year, seems like this kind of bike would be a good choice for me. More experienced riders might enjoy these same trails on a smaller, lighter bike, but for now that's no me. Though I am cognizant of the fact that a bigger bike can isolate from really learning, so my other plan is to get a DJ bike this year and cut my teeth on some jumps.

May 2, 2012, 11:24 p.m.

Naz lowered it for me. I'm not sure how this was achieved but he could sort you out I'm sure.

Next time i'm in .ca maybe, till then i would need to rely on cosmic sports, better to do it myself then ;)

May 3, 2012, 9:56 a.m.

Next time i'm in .ca maybe, till then i would need to rely on cosmic sports, better to do it myself then ;)

dropping suspension is pretty straightforward usually, just a matter of finding something kicking about the workshop to stick above the top out. dropped my totem to 160mm using (iirc) a skateboard bushing, and just lowered a roco air shock w/ a chunk of pvc pipe. chop shop ghetto fab rocks.

May 3, 2012, 10:50 a.m.

That's a good way to put it, and yes, that's where I'm at. Galbraith is 15 minutes from my front door, and the shore (including border crossing ) is about 1hr 10min. Most of the stuff I'm interested in getting better at/learning involves fire road climbs and gravity descents. Combined with true fact I'd like to try out Whistler this year, seems like this kind of bike would be a good choice for me. More experienced riders might enjoy these same trails on a smaller, lighter bike, but for now that's no me. Though I am cognizant of the fact that a bigger bike can isolate from really learning, so my other plan is to get a DJ bike this year and cut my teeth on some jumps.

For what it is worth, I would buy the bike to fit the majority of your riding and figure out something else for those times you need something bigger.

I was in a similar situation a few years back. Had an SX Trail that was stolen and ended up going for something smaller - Transition Preston. I am definitely not as good a rider as some of the others here (I have only been riding the shore for about 6 years or so) but I actually found the smaller bike to be more forgiving on the shore. I have ridden it in Whistler once and it was fine. Not ideal but fine.

May 3, 2012, 1:01 p.m.

dropping suspension is pretty straightforward usually, just a matter of finding something kicking about the workshop to stick above the top out. dropped my totem to 160mm using (iirc) a skateboard bushing, and just lowered a roco air shock w/ a chunk of pvc pipe. chop shop ghetto fab rocks.

which one is the top out?