What does the North Shore think? (merged)

Aug. 2, 2011, 4:21 p.m.

I am curious to know what everyone thinks of Recon Instruments and the goggles they have created. For those who haven't had the experience, I tested them out at crankworx. They have a heads mounted display located in the bottom right corner of the goggle. It tells you how fast your going, altitude and all that other fancy stuff. Before I give my opinion I was wondering what others thought. Will it work for downhill mountain biking?

dominate.

Here is a link I found on the tube! Watch

Aug. 7, 2011, 11:02 p.m.

….. I'm all for tech but how is this actually going to make me ride better. seems like a pointless toy.

Aug. 8, 2011, 9:21 a.m.

it would be kinda neat for skiing and biking, but the tech should be smaller to make the gogs less bulky, I would love to know how fast I am going at any given time, the remote camera with the in gog screen would be distracting though…little pricey too…

mtbskierdad

Aug. 8, 2011, 9:51 a.m.

One big problem is that they are using GPS, and the positional error on GPS is quite large at lower speeds, so a sport like biking where your speed isn't all that fast, and you are changing speeds a lot, the error on the reading will be huge (inaccurate).

Aug. 8, 2011, 10:17 a.m.

I can think of 10 ways I can spend 1000 that will improve my biking that aren't these things. SuperDuper neat toy though

Aug. 8, 2011, 10:22 a.m.

Im not sure what the real need is, unless your someone who needs the latest piece of tech. We aren't flying Jet fighters, we are riding bikes. Hell, if someone answer's their cell phone on a ride its all i can do to keep from beating them with a log. I'm also not sure I would feel comfortable riding with someone who looks like Robocop.

Master of Puppets

Aug. 8, 2011, 4:09 p.m.

My DH rig, my pass, my carbon helmet, my sport specific armour, my ultra tiny HD digital camera, gas, none of it expensive enough. I think I need to spend $600 on goggles…

Aug. 8, 2011, 5:24 p.m.

What do I think?

I think the OP works for Recon :lol:

I saw the goggles at CWorx and they were neat, but not something I'd ever buy really.

Aug. 8, 2011, 6:16 p.m.

ummmmmmmmmm NO!

I saw them at Crankworx as well. Talked to one of the guys and I basically blew holes in almost every technical aspect of a heads up display while riding DH. The guy looked at me and shrugged in a way indicating that he agreed with me.

While they are cool and all, having to look down into the corner of your goggles at data about your speed/altitude or location is suicide.

If you are riding slowly and need to know where your next trail junction is then they might work, but I see their use in riding somewhat limited.

www.FVMBA.com 

"If everything seems in control, you're not going fast enough."
-Mario Andretti-

Aug. 8, 2011, 6:31 p.m.

If they had a map and directions i could see rich tourists gobbling them up as rentals, like a personal guide.

Aug. 8, 2011, 8:58 p.m.

I used one of the test goggles they had at the start of the previous ski season.. was super pumped on them hearing all the info.. but once I used them, you couldn't take them off my head fast enough.

Pros:
The speed is cool, but slow to react
….

Cons:
-the temp reading can be WAY off.. to get temp between your face temp and the air is very hard, and very inaccurate
-the goggles are huge and heavy
-the lenses are no good (maybe just the ones I tested, prefer my Oakley lenses WAY more)
-the screen is not adjustable and on my face, I could only see half of it.
-thats all i can think of off the top of my head

I did one run in them, and just handed them back.. no thanks

Aug. 8, 2011, 9:18 p.m.

If it uses GPS for speed, wouldn't it be extremely off the pace? I mean we often ride VERY steep slopes. So the GPS readout would display speed between two points ignoring elevation? So on a 45 degree slope, and the gps reads 50km per hour. You would actually be doing 75km per hour?

Aug. 9, 2011, 9:30 a.m.

I think recording some of that data for a days' riding would be cool. Do I need to see it fly by in real time distracting me from, you know, riding? No thanks.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Aug. 9, 2011, 10:16 a.m.

I am curious to know what everyone thinks of Recon Instruments and the goggles they have created. For those who haven't had the experience, I tested them out at crankworx. They have a heads mounted display located in the bottom right corner of the goggle. It tells you how fast your going, altitude and all that other fancy stuff. Before I give my opinion I was wondering what others thought. Will it work for downhill mountain biking?

dominate.

Here is a link I found on the tube! Watch

Work for what? If you need a gps to get around a bike park you're retarded and shouldn't be there in the first place. Go sell your worthless shit somewhere else.

Aug. 9, 2011, 10:22 a.m.

If it uses GPS for speed, wouldn't it be extremely off the pace? I mean we often ride VERY steep slopes. So the GPS readout would display speed between two points ignoring elevation? So on a 45 degree slope, and the gps reads 50km per hour. You would actually be doing 75km per hour?

'
GPS also carries elevation, so that shouldn't be an issue. All within the limits of gps accuracy though.