What does it mean when "my rotors are cooked"?

May 31, 2021, 8:12 a.m.

I've heard the comment before, but never seen an explanation. I understand that rotors are finished when they get thin, are horribly warped beyond truing or horribly gouged.  However, I do have some discoloration (browning) that fades inside of the brake-contact area. I would guess that this could be heat-related - hence the "cooked" comment. Brake power is fine -  rear, 180mm rotors on Zee brakes.

May 31, 2021, 10:34 a.m.

Is cooked  an all-purpose term for facked ?

discs can get pretty hot, I have blued discs and they still work ok, I have seen people with disc shaped brands on their shins

I did wear out the disc material between the holes before the rest of the disc material so the disc was eating  thru pads really quick and I had to replace the discs

May 31, 2021, 2 p.m.

To me the discolouration isn't an issue unless it's related too contamination.

I'd describe my rotors as cooked if they were worn out.  The one that collapsed on me during a ride I'd consider cooked.  Overcooked even. 

Bent and worked and otherwise damaged rotors I'd describe as fucked.

May 31, 2021, 2:32 p.m.

We are getting so scientific... "over-cooked", "facked"...love it.

I figured that the discoloration wasn't an issue unless I had a performance problem. I sanded and re-bedded some pads the other day after they were absolutely howling. They were quiet during the bedding process, so I am hopeful.