What do you carry to remove tight tubeless and procore Presta valve locknuts?

Feb. 23, 2017, 8:13 a.m.

Its nice to not have a pack on hot summer days

On regular presta stems (tubelss or non) I usually put a little o ring between the knurled lockring and the rim - keeps the lockring snug and it always comes off easy.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Feb. 23, 2017, 8:48 a.m.

So am I the only one who carries a proper tool kit when riding?

-park folding tool
-small crescent wrench
-valve stem tool
-leatherman
-pump
- 3 tubes
-chain tool
-spoke wrench
- a few misc bolts the same size as ones on my bike

….maybe now i know why im always the trailside mechanic for others……it must weigh all of 2 lbs.

Scale shot plz. I carry less than this and it is certainly more than two pounds.

March 6, 2017, 8:49 a.m.

Posted by: Bryce

On regular presta stems (tubelss or non) I usually put a little o ring between the knurled lockring and the rim - keeps the lockring snug and it always comes off easy.

Yeah, everyone should be using that o-ring on all tubeless setups, or there is a good risk of either small leaks or sealant filling that space for you, which will gum things up.

Carrying pliers and a small blade have proved as important as a multitool recently because everyone carries a multitool but not a lot of people have pliers or a blade. My pliers came out twice in the last three days - apparently mtb media suck at carrying tools, too. I carry one of these: https://www.sogknives.com/industrial/multi-tools/reactor.html

That leatherman for $32 weighs only 44 grams, has a blade, and is TSA approved for carry-on. That's pretty much perfect and lighter than that SOG above by at least 60 grams. But the SOG's pliers are damn good.

March 7, 2017, 10:57 a.m.

Posted by: three-sheets

well in my HUMBLE opinion, we take somewhat complicated machines into the forest and push them and ourselves to their limits…it would be fool hardy to not bring repair kits for the bike and rider with us.

Its just me perhaps but ive seen the needle and the damage done so i ride prepared for the worst possible scenario….not being able to remove a valve stem is pretty ….uh….amateur.

Short of an aed or a frame…anyone i ride with can feel assured that we will get home in one piece..I pack like a guide because hey, im my own guide. Not being able to fix a flat 40 km from the truck isnt an option in my world

But, but, aesthetics bro! If it doesn't fit in a DaKine Camo Hot Laps 1.5L fanny pack, I don't need it!

...Just in case, I'm being totally sarcastic BTW...

June 6, 2017, 2:21 a.m.

If you don't want a full-on leatherman, and just want something that'll cram in no space, how about a good old victorinox swiss army knife (like this: https://assets.victorinox.com/mam/celum/celum_assets/6fc/01c/8868162535454_celum_129760_560Wx490H.jpg?1)? 

90mm/3 1/2" long, and pretty skinny (you could even tape it to your bottle cage if you want to go full enduro...) - plus there's a whole load of other useful bits on it.

I never leave home without mine...

June 6, 2017, 9:22 a.m.

Pretty slick alternative. I have a swiss army knife with the larger/locking blade, that also includes scissors (essential) and a small saw (works ok on smaller branches). How good are those pliers?

June 7, 2017, 7:33 a.m.

Wish I had one of those - Locking knives aren't legal carry over here (UK).

They're good for small stuff, and you'll get enough purchase for valve cores, cables, stripped bolts etc - but they obviously aren't as beefy as a proper pair. They're basically limited by how hard you can squeeze them (the handle being a small-ish steel bar).

June 9, 2017, 3:43 a.m.

Posted by: Bryce

Jeez I've been doing it wrong for so many years. Will remember to do this the next time I redo sealant. 

I usually carry a Leatherman Skeletool with me in my pack. But I don't always ride with a pack...