What do you carry to remove tight tubeless and procore Presta valve locknuts?

Feb. 20, 2017, 5:13 p.m.

That's a handy little piece of kit for anyone who doesn't have the space/desire to carry a Leatherman.

Space in even the smallest fanny pack…

Who's fanny are you calling small? [HTML_REMOVED]#128579;

Feb. 21, 2017, 2:57 p.m.

Where'd ya get it? Don't see it online

I work in the industry and got it from the Stan's rep directly. I would think it would be on their website?? Is it not??

so this clamps onto the stem or the little nut ?

The little nut/lockring. Slip the circular part over the lockring, pinch the other end and turn as a wrench. Works like a charm.

Also can be used to pinch the flattened tooled parts on a valve with removable core.

Ride, don't slide.

Feb. 22, 2017, 10:05 a.m.

I had LB drill out my rims for Schrader valves and then bought some of these:
http://speed-evolution.com/product/pink-schrader-valve/

Presta sucks.

Feb. 22, 2017, 10:42 a.m.

I had LB drill out my rims for Schrader valves and then bought some of these:
http://speed-evolution.com/product/pink-schrader-valve/

Presta sucks.

interesting, those probably help with airflow when trying to seal up as well.

BCpov on YouTube

www.instagram.com/BCPov

www.facebook.com/BCpov

Feb. 22, 2017, 10:57 a.m.

So am I the only one who carries a proper tool kit when riding?

-park folding tool
-small crescent wrench
-valve stem tool
-leatherman
-pump
- 3 tubes
-chain tool
-spoke wrench
- a few misc bolts the same size as ones on my bike

….maybe now i know why im always the trailside mechanic for others……it must weigh all of 2 lbs.

Pastor of Muppets

Feb. 22, 2017, 11:20 a.m.

-park folding tool
-small crescent wrench
-valve stem tool
-leatherman
-pump
- 3 tubes
-chain tool
-spoke wrench

….maybe now i know why im always the trailside mechanic for others……it must weigh all of 2 lbs.

Im with you on carrying a proper tool kit. In addition to what you have stated above (more or less) also have a replacement hanger, tire boot, folding spoke, gorilla tape, zip ties, spare master links and chain pins, and spare shifter cable.
Ive had to use almost all of the above for myself or others in my group, so it would feel weird going out for a ride (especially a full day ride) without it.

Feb. 22, 2017, 11:26 a.m.

folding spoke

Wait what? Folding spoke?

Depends on the ride what I carry, big epic out in the boondocks gets a bigger more extensive tool kit. Backyard rides on Fromme get a minimal tool kit.

Feb. 22, 2017, 11:30 a.m.

Depends on the ride what I carry, big epic out in the boondocks gets a bigger more extensive tool kit. Backyard rides on Fromme get a minimal tool kit.

maintain your bike at home, not in the woods. plus my back is fucked from too many years of big packs on big rides, and treeplanting. anything close to home and under a few hours is a couple tools in the pocket.

Just a speculative fiction. No cause for alarm.

Feb. 22, 2017, 11:31 a.m.

Definitely lighter than the seven spokes inside my seat post!

flickr

Feb. 22, 2017, 11:32 a.m.

http://www.fiberfixspoke.com/

Feb. 22, 2017, 2:47 p.m.

I work in the industry and got it from the Stan's rep directly. I would think it would be on their website?? Is it not??

Alas, it is not
All that was happy in life
Is sad and empty

:lol:

https://nsmba.ca/product-category/memberships/

Feb. 22, 2017, 2:49 p.m.

-park folding tool
-small crescent wrench
-valve stem tool
-leatherman
-pump
- 3 tubes
-chain tool
-spoke wrench

That doesn't sound like it would fit in an endurbro fanny pack.

Ride, don't slide.

Feb. 22, 2017, 2:50 p.m.

Alas, it is not
All that was happy in life
Is sad and empty

Seriously though, it can't be hard to machine something like this. Get NSB on the case! They'll make dozens of dollars in profit!

Ride, don't slide.

Feb. 22, 2017, 9:56 p.m.

That doesn't sound like it would fit in an endurbro fanny pack.

well in my HUMBLE opinion, we take somewhat complicated machines into the forest and push them and ourselves to their limits…it would be fool hardy to not bring repair kits for the bike and rider with us.

Its just me perhaps but ive seen the needle and the damage done so i ride prepared for the worst possible scenario….not being able to remove a valve stem is pretty ….uh….amateur.

Short of an aed or a frame…anyone i ride with can feel assured that we will get home in one piece..I pack like a guide because hey, im my own guide. Not being able to fix a flat 40 km from the truck isnt an option in my world

Pastor of Muppets

Feb. 23, 2017, 7:12 a.m.

Picked up one of these at MEC yesterday:

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5023-536/Squirt-PS4-Multi-Tool

Tiny, super light, should do what I need it for, though obviously at this size it won't do what a full sized Leatherman (or real pliers) would.

Incidentally, after looking at my tire more closely, I can't blame the sealant for failing. In fact it's surprising that the tube I finally put in even held on my ride down Pipeline / BP afterward because there was at least a 1/4" long cut through my sidewall. It was obviously a cut as it extended into the tread area so I must have run over a good chunk of broken glass or sharp metal to do that. Kind of strange on the Fromme access road climb practically going at a walking speed.