What do you carry to remove tight tubeless and procore Presta valve locknuts?

Feb. 19, 2017, 9:47 p.m.

I had a flat today on the Mt Fromme fire road on my Procore'd rear tire that sealant wouldn't seal. I'm guessing it might have been too cold and wet out.

Long story short, I couldn't get the locknut on the Presta valve undone with only my Crank Bros M19 Multi tool, until I finally hammered the 10mm "wrench" opening onto it pretty much mutilating it. Finally got a tube in it after screwing around with it for an hour in the freezing rain.:swearing:

What's the lightest / most compact tool anyone has found to carry along on rides for this purpose? I'm thinking a really compact and light pair of plyers or are there other options?

Feb. 19, 2017, 10 p.m.

I carry a leatherman with me in my pack. There are various sizes and features depending on what you think you will need.

Feb. 20, 2017, 1:22 a.m.

I carry a Leatherman too. Just an old clunky one but there are lots of lighter versions now. I've used it for tubeless valves, valve cores, bending rotors straight, clipping zip ties… always handy on the trail.

I had a similar situation (although just a valve stem vs. ProCore replacement cost wise) in my minimalist no-pack days. Can't beat a free rock from the side of the trail. One quick wham and it's easy to remove the broken valve. Better than walking home because my calve stem was stuck.

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

Feb. 20, 2017, 6:37 a.m.

Does sealant ever actually work? Aside from helping seat my tire I always wind up using a tube to get me home if I do flat.

Feb. 20, 2017, 6:49 a.m.

Does sealant ever actually work? Aside from helping seat my tire I always wind up using a tube to get me home if I do flat.

Yes but most people probably don't notice it. I've had a race where I front flatted on stage 6 (sprayed in the face by fluid) didn't want to bother or have time to put in a tube and finished 2 more stages.

Feb. 20, 2017, 8:46 a.m.

Fresh sealant works to heal surprisingly large leaks. Even one time when I had a knob tear out of the centre casing.

It's like anything else on a bike that requires upkeep. When a flat occurs in my ride group the sealant is usually dried out (and sometimes waterlogged).

Feb. 20, 2017, 9:14 a.m.

The Stans Race sealant seems to work pretty good , I have over 800km of riding and racing on my wheelset and had 2 flats .

1st ride I flatted due to a loose valve stem , 2nd flat was from a double puncture between the knobbies on my rear tire . I had to walk out as my pump crapped the bed as well so I never put a tube in the tire . The bike sat for a few days and when I went to air up the tire to check it for punctures ,it had sealed and it,s still holding air today .

#northsidetrailbuilders

Feb. 20, 2017, 10:14 a.m.

I use the Stan's Tight Valve Lockring Removal Wrench. :lol:

Ride, don't slide.

Feb. 20, 2017, 11:10 a.m.

That's a handy little piece of kit for anyone who doesn't have the space/desire to carry a Leatherman.

Space in even the smallest fanny pack…

Feb. 20, 2017, 11:44 a.m.

Also works okay as a makeshift pair of tweezers, but not the best for that.

Ride, don't slide.

Feb. 20, 2017, 11:51 a.m.

Also works okay as a makeshift pair of tweezers, but not the best for that.

Re. Tweezers I started riding with a set of hooked tick removers that double as decent splinter removers in a pinch. F***ing disgusting little disease carrying parasites.

Feb. 20, 2017, 1:14 p.m.

Leatherman Skeletool. Light and tough enough to cut a gear cable with.

Feb. 20, 2017, 2:33 p.m.

Now that is cool. I'll have to get out my calipers and see how much difference there is in diameter between the Stan's, DT Swiss and Schwalbe Procore locknuts. If they are all close to the same, that could be the hot ticket.

I hate the weight of a multi-tool although having a small knife and pliers would be a nice addition to the CB M19 I normally carry. My riding pack is already too heavy.

Feb. 20, 2017, 2:45 p.m.

so this clamps onto the stem or the little nut ?

#northsidetrailbuilders

Feb. 20, 2017, 3:13 p.m.

Where'd ya get it? Don't see it online

https://nsmba.ca/product-category/memberships/