What bike will make me faster/bolder?

Nov. 20, 2015, 2:56 p.m.

i agree the 'crisis' part never ends especially if you ride with some guys who have chops or balls that you don't. and if you view it that way. i'm getting better but it's slow going and sometimes you gotta take it easy on yourself. i was following a faster buddy yesterday down a big berm trail in Squamish (we were there as he was buying a used bike). fast berms are a bit foreign to me and fun/scary. i had a high speed crash popping off a rock, clipping a boulder (psudo tsuga, you guys prolly know the boulder) and landing into rocks. bumps and scrapes but i'm ok. it's going to happen but not my preference… mastering this sport and going big at speed involves serious risk/reward tradeoffs.

fun trail Psudo Tsuga , myself I prefer Angry Midget , suits my style better , Psudo is too bermish and flowy , I like hanging on for dear life at speed LOL .

#northsidetrailbuilders

Nov. 20, 2015, 3:53 p.m.

Slight threadjack, on the BMX front, are there any pumptracks in East Van that are lit at night? I see they opened one at the hastings fairgrounds this summer but I can't find when it's open.

Nov. 20, 2015, 5:38 p.m.

I'd also be curious as to any pump tracks in Vancouver period

Nov. 20, 2015, 5:49 p.m.

Slight threadjack, on the BMX front, are there any pumptracks in East Van that are lit at night? I see they opened one at the hastings fairgrounds this summer but I can't find when it's open.

I think that Hastings Park is open general "park hours" so till 10pm or whatever. The pump track isn't directly lit but the fields and track right beside it are well lit, so it might receive a good amount of ambient light. I haven't checked it out at night to be honest, but I live a 5 minute walk away and could definitely swing by for an update.

Nov. 20, 2015, 7 p.m.

I think that Hastings Park is open general "park hours" so till 10pm or whatever. The pump track isn't directly lit but the fields and track right beside it are well lit, so it might receive a good amount of ambient light. I haven't checked it out at night to be honest, but I live a 5 minute walk away and could definitely swing by for an update.

I bet there would be a lot of sketchy shadows.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

Nov. 20, 2015, 8:31 p.m.

it's a pretty mellow park; could toss on a headlamp [HTML_REMOVED] be fine.

Nov. 20, 2015, 8:49 p.m.

Probably that Nicolai MOJO gearbox bike would be best

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Nov. 21, 2015, 3:28 a.m.

This thread seems pretty busy, nice!

I am in Europe, in a medium sized city in Germany. So I don't know about Vancouver pump tracks. But over here a lot is changing in a good way. Pump tracks, trails and other bike stuff was merely or sometimes not tolerated before, but because interest in biking exploded again and a lot of the "best agers" (which were nay-sayers because of "environmental concerns" against trails) swapped their fancy weekend cabriolets for Pedelecs and now start to become avid fire road bikers and suddenly they don't oppose trails.

Our bike club had been trying to get a permission for building a legal trail for five years, no luck. Suddenly this summer we got a permission and after the mayor threw a shovel of dirt and doing so landed on the cover page of a local newspaper with a favoring article, several other communities contacted our club and "demanded" that if community A gets a trail, they for sure want to have some too. So our world is suddenly upside down, but good. :dizzy:

And if you have trails with bigger jumps and features and real berms, riding skills need to grow. And also you have the possibility to progress, because you can ride there regularly.

So maybe my crisis :smokey: is based on current events and in reality is not a crisis at all. I don't feel I am super bad on the bike, it's just that I want to progress further and there is so much to achieve.
Sometimes I feel great, sometimes I am just amazed how shockingly shitty I rode a certain part of a known trail.
World Cuppers probably suffer from the same issue, just on a totally different level.

Transition 27.5 hardtail frame is ordered and I am about to pull the trigger on a 2016 Lyrik 170 (they seem to be in stock) - which will go on the Strive, the current Pike will be set to 140mm (I have a matching air shaft in my parts bin) and go on the Trans Am.

I am just too long for BMX, loved them when I was a kid, rode a lot, but now I am long and lanky, like a Orang-Utan. They just don't fit. The hardtail will be fine…

Nov. 21, 2015, 7:22 p.m.

You already mentioned you were too tall and lanky, but here's another vote for getting a BMX. There are plenty of tall and lanky dudes who kill on BMX.

It sounds like you already have a pretty decent mountain bike, so I wouldn't worry so much about that. And riding with people who are better than you is a great way to improve your skills. But if you really want to get better on your mountain bike while incurring as little cost as possible - pick up a decent BMX (get a long top tube for your tall and lanky self). You have to have patience though - you'll suck at BMX for a long time, especially if you're just picking it up at your age. This is ok: persevere, and you'll reap the rewards. If you're easily discouraged, then maybe it's not for you. I've seen plenty of guys try BMX, and then quit because they weren't throwing tailwhips after the first week. The reason why you'll suck is because handling a BMX is hard - way harder than a mountain bike. Ride dirt, ride park, ride street. For gods sake, learn how to bunny-hop PROPERLY (i.e.: NOT using your clipless shoes OR suspension). Learn how to pick a line and flow without all the cheating that a mountain bike allows you to do. THEN, when you've broken yourself into pieces becoming a man on that little bike, you'll throw a leg over that pansy-ass mountain bike of yours and say to yourself: "Holy shit! This thing is so easy to ride! It's basically riding itself!" And with that comment, you'll be foreshadowing the future, because mountain bikers are soft - and we won't be happy until technology reaches the point where we merely have to THINK about mountain biking, and that'll be good enough.

So yeah, get a BMX :)