What bike will make me faster/bolder?

Nov. 19, 2015, 2:40 p.m.

Hi folks,

I'd appreciate your thoughts on the following matter:

I've been riding mountain bikes for the last 15 years and am now approaching my 32th birthday. I've had a great season on the bike this year (big BC trip etc.), but while I still feel that my riding skills are progressing and I am fitter than ever, I think that I don't really descend and jump as good and fast as I "should". I enjoy riding tremendously though. I know it is 90% rider and less than 10% bike, I got smoked by crazy kids on various contraptions over the years. But it's not that simple, I promise!

I very, very rarely crash and that's probably part of my problem, I tend to ride too safe and shy.
If I am not absolutely sure about a move/stunt, I won't try it. When I do, I feel exceptionally great. Often I lack the courage. I've spent most of my riding life on ENDURO style bikes, I like descending, but also like pedaling. I am not a bad rider, I can ride trails like Microclimate or steep techy trails in the Alps and really enjoy them, but big doubles and longer jumps which require a lot of speed (more than 8-10 meters from lip to landing) often let me shy away. And I often feel kind of slowish when descending, compared to other "experienced" riders.

For 2016 I want to become faster and do bigger and longer jumps. I'll visit several skill clinics and am planning a lot of riding holidays all over Europe, that includes bikepark riding and built trails riding - with a slight bias on pedaling then descending as gnarly as possible. It's mainly a fear/mind game probably, so riding lots and with skilled riders should help.

But now I am in kind of a dilemma in regard for proper gear.

I recently got a Canyon Strive CF as my main ride. I really love it. Compared to my Specialized Enduro 26 (sold) it is much more confidence inspiring. I got faster and gained security, because I trust the bike more. So that'll serve me well. I do however ride a lot and bikes break and have niggles. So I need/want a second bike, because I really can not stand NOT riding because of a defect or some other hiccup. Life is too short for such nonsense and I saved up for second bike.

Also while I enjoy the Strive in the bike park, it'll just wear out too quick and pedaling full on DH tires is overkill on my home trails.

I am now deciding between three things:

1. Buy a full on DH bike. Have the pedally Strive and a really sturdy 650b DH bike for shuttling and full on park riding. Never owned a full DH bike. Always wanted to. Might be ridiculous, because I am such a pansy. Might give me a reason to finally go for all these bigger jumps. I find the idea of a bike which can not climb at all pretty ridiculous though. Incredible deal on those: http://www.yt-industries.com/detail/index/sArticle/443/sCategory/78

2. Buy a nice second 170mm Enduro style bike with the new Lyrik and burlier wheels and tires. Ride all the resort days on this bike and enjoy the nimbler handling and lower weight. I'd be able to pedal a bit and ride this bike on my home trails when the Strive has an issue. Still it's slacker than the strive and shouldn't hold me back too much in the park. (Remember, I am not a WC pro) http://www.radon-bikes.de/bikes-2016/mountainbike/superenduro/swoop-170/swoop-170-90-1x11/

3. Build a transition Trans AM 27.5 hard tail single speed, buy a new 170mm Lyrik and swap the current 160mm Pike from the Strive, travel change it (for the Trans am) and then improve my riding skills and finally really master the Manual.
And become faster every time I return from the hard tail to the full suspension Strive? I like the idea and did enjoy a trial HT I had ten years ago, back wheel hopping it and goofing around obstacles, but somehow hard tails don't really tickle my fancy on the trails. Too uncomfortable and I am really used to the rear suspension doing some wierd stuff while cornering, hopping, wheelieing and jumping. The HT could be a total letdown?

In the long run I could see three bikes. But let's not get too decadent. Money wise the hard tail build would be almost as expensive as the mail order bikes, components are pretty expensive nowadays.

What are your thoughts?

Any input is appreciated.

Greetings across the pond to the country with the beautiful trails.
I'd love to have a couple of runs on Leopard, Oil Can or CBC. Maybe in a couple of years again :)

Znarf

Nov. 19, 2015, 2:58 p.m.

32? it's all downhill from here…:P

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

Nov. 19, 2015, 3:03 p.m.

Well I am 47 and am faster now than I ever was at 32. The bike helps sure but just riding, taking some chances that are worth the risk and keeping fit made me a better rider. Buy what makes you happy, don't over-analyze and go shred is my advice.

Nov. 19, 2015, 4:07 p.m.

Your plan to do trips and clinics is perfect. I would find a suitable DH bike and get your bike park pass.

There's nothing like laps in the bike park to get you out of your comfort zone and go faster, further, bigger. The ability to hit the same features 30 times in a day is amazing for growing your skills. A DH bike (and good protective gear!) gives you the extra margin for error that you need to take some chances.

Buy a DH bike and get it set up right for you, do an early season DH skills clinic and hit the bike park!
The Coast bike park is open all winter…

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Nov. 19, 2015, 4:16 p.m.

Bike park riding is without doubt the best way to improve your skills and confidence. I would go with the dh depending on how close the nearest bike park is.

Nov. 19, 2015, 4:34 p.m.

All of the above. Then go ride with people who are faster/better than you and don't mind you tagging along.

Nov. 19, 2015, 5:05 p.m.

Well I am 47 and am faster now than I ever was at 32. The bike helps sure but just riding, taking some chances that are worth the risk and keeping fit made me a better rider. Buy what makes you happy, don't over-analyze and go shred is my advice.

ditto

came to that realization racing the last stage of a enduro race at Bear mtn couple years back . was on a pedaly section of the old DH course and was out of the saddle putting power to the ground . raced DH there back in the 90,s was gassed in that section and was only riding for a couple of minutes by then , not 20+ min .

every bike I have gotten in the last 3 years I have gotten faster on . every one I ride with that has gotten a new bike has improved on all levels as well .

today there are so many quality designs it all comes down to ones personal choice . I think most of the bikes in the 150mm to 170mm range will improve most riders over a couple year old design .

oh and if i was doing mainly park i would get a Kona Precept 200 , not a true race DH bike but still 200mm of fun , a Darkside would be fun as well

#northsidetrailbuilders

Nov. 19, 2015, 7:35 p.m.

Really any current bike will be an improvement over whatever bike you have now. They're like computers. Want to be a better rider? Ride with people that are better than you, they'll push you out of your comfort zone.

If you want advice on a specific bike I would shy away from a dh bike. They make riding too easy and that makes you a lazy rider. Get an 'enduro' bike like a Nomad, Range, Reign, Patrol, Canfield Balance (which I have).

Nov. 19, 2015, 7:47 p.m.

… Want to be a better rider? Ride with people that are better than you, they'll push you out of your comfort zone…

I didn't read any of you post because this is all you need to know about getting faster.

As far as the bike, when you're having your legs torn off is when you'll best know what you need to change.

Nov. 19, 2015, 7:49 p.m.

Ride with faster people. They will push you beyond what you are comfortable with. Honestly, the bike doesn't matter much, and you're bike is plenty for the stuff you want to work up to. Look at what slope guys are using and what they are jumping, half of them are on hardtails.

I'd sell the 160mm, get a new Lyrik for the Canyon and buy a 130-140mm trail bike and make that your primary whip.

Shed head!

Nov. 19, 2015, 8:16 p.m.

Don't be too hard on yourself. Most people on the boards would be happy if they were able to "only" hit gaps 7m and smaller with confidence.

Nov. 19, 2015, 8:45 p.m.

[QUOTE

I'd sell the 160mm, get a new Lyrik for the Canyon and buy a 130-140mm trail bike and make that your primary whip.

smart idea

#northsidetrailbuilders

Nov. 19, 2015, 11:36 p.m.

Thank you for all the great opinions!
Very much appreciated.

I really dig the Strive, it is a lot of bike, still climbs great. So I'll just get out as much as I can. And ride with some fast people. And book the skill clinics right now. And do more strength training. And watch some online tutorials.

Ah - that's probably why mountain biking is so fantastic - there's always room for improvement and things you can try to get better at.

I just ordered a Trans Am frame, will build it as a spare parts based single speeder with the shortened Pike and spice my commutes up sometimes or ride it as a backup bike. If I don't like it at all, I'll just swap it for a Scout frame next summer. Having a trailbike around can't be wrong. If I feel like it I might just rent a DH bike for a couple of park days. Otherwise the Strive will do fine on the intermediate park runs…

Enjoy your great trails (while Europe has fantastic stuff, I still miss the BC stuff)

Thanks

Znarf

Nov. 20, 2015, 12:06 a.m.

DH bikes are confidence boosters for sure. But since you've ordered a hardtail: Go ride pumptrack/DJ. It will make you fitter, and you will get better at jumping and riding berms. More control =[HTML_REMOVED] more confidence. But then, I really shouldn't talk about jumping and berms, 'cause that's what I'm really no good at.

Nov. 20, 2015, 12:47 a.m.

That's a plan. With the renewed popularity of mtb around here, there are pump tracks, jumps and legal trails popping up all over the place in my hometown. Good times.

So far I am riding pump tracks with the strive and high compression settings. But that sure is tiring :)