What Bearing Tools Do I need?

May 30, 2020, 11:25 a.m.

I moved about a month ago and my new home has an actual garage. 1st thing I did is saw an old Ikea table in half and turn it into a workbench. I've been waiting 40 some odd years to actually have a workshop. Now that I have improved workshop circumstances I am expanding my tool set. I used to keep things pretty simple, wheel builds, gear cables and the such. Since I moved, I have bought bleed kits for my brakes, a vice etc. The next step is bearings and headsets...

My question is what is the best/least expensive solution so that I can remove headsets/bearings from my bikes?

I was thinking the Wheels Manufacturing bearing press

and a couple of the park headset/bearing removal tools (the RT-1 and the RT-2

Would these also be satisfactory for pressing bearings into frames? It would allow me to do BB bearings. I could probably even do headsets with the bearing press as most of my headtubes are less than the 137mm span of the bearing press.

Thoughts?

May 30, 2020, 12:34 p.m.

I have an RRP press, and the few drift sets I need for my Process frame. Works great. Wish I bought it years ago. You could save some money by buying just the drifts and using threaded rod, appropriately sized, with a few nuts and wrenches rather than the handles included in the set. 

The park headset remover you show would remove BBs ok, I doubt it could be useful for frame bearings. 

I find a drift and hammer is pretty good for headset removal too.

May 30, 2020, 1:53 p.m.

For pivot bearings, I bought some RRP kits a couple of months ago, but not their ridicuoulsy overpriced press. As mrbrett said, $5 worth of ready-rod, a few washers, and a couple of nuts work just fine.

The local distributor is on Dollarton Hwy and let me pick up at their office to avoid shipping.

https://reciprocators.ca/products/rrp-bearing-kits

Last edited by: PaulB on May 30, 2020, 1:54 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 30, 2020, 2:57 p.m.

These guys manufacture an excellent set for specific bike models. The only thing I added was a wheels manufacturing economy press as I prefer the thread pitch

I've been extracting and repressing the full bearing set on my process for several years now. 10 mins to pop em all out, 15 minutes to press new ones back in.

https://www.bearingprotools.com/

May 30, 2020, 4:06 p.m.

^ Those bearing pro tools blind pullers would be great for an older Santa Cruz - for those little trunnion bearing sized ones in the lower link. As long as the bearing doesn't shred up, anyway.

May 31, 2020, 9:59 a.m.

I have also used the real tools and they were nice  but for pressing head sets I just use a large nut/bolt & some fender washers for <10$

redi-rod would be better than the bolt, I havent done any frame bearings with the mcgyver press but it would work

pounding out bearings I used an old straight handlebar

June 2, 2020, 12:54 p.m.

Posted by: PaulB

https://reciprocators.ca/products/rrp-bearing-kits

Right in North Van. Good find. 

Jillion dollar bikes being the norm bearing presses are more topical than ever.

Appreciate the info.