What are you doing to prolong bearing life?

Aug. 4, 2022, 11:23 a.m.

I'm pretty sure that's the stuff - probably under another name.
Pop the seals, clean em out as much as I can, repack, but not too heavily, then use finger / drill head to rotate the bearings through the grease, pop seal back on until it goes crunchy and has to be replaced

Last edited by: DanL on Aug. 4, 2022, 11:25 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 4, 2022, 5:30 p.m.

Prolong bearing life? Easy not riding for three months while healing from knee surgery.

Aug. 6, 2022, 2:46 p.m.

Timely info on the grease. Thanks. I was just replacing my cassette tonight. I have some red grease to throw in. I have only been using waterproof grease and Slickoleum for my various bike bits, but will gladly try this. I’ve only used it for mower spindles thus far.

Last edited by: Stihlgoin on Aug. 6, 2022, 2:47 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 7, 2022, 9:32 a.m.

Posted by: Stihlgoin

Timely info on the grease. Thanks. I was just replacing my cassette tonight. I have some red grease to throw in. I have only been using waterproof grease and Slickoleum for my various bike bits, but will gladly try this. I’ve only used it for mower spindles thus far.

Be careful there. Grease that's too heavy can cause Free hub  pawls to stick and possibly not engage properly.  This happened to a friend of mine in the winter when the low temperature made the problem worse. I'm not too particular about grease for most applications, but for freehubs I get the proper stuff. Dumondetech is highly recommended.

Aug. 9, 2022, 1:48 p.m.

Posted by: skooks

Posted by: Stihlgoin

Be careful there. Grease that's too heavy can cause Free hub  pawls to stick and possibly not engage properly.  This happened to a friend of mine in the winter when the low temperature made the problem worse. I'm not too particular about grease for most applications, but for freehubs I get the proper stuff. Dumondetech is highly recommended.

I used the Dumondetech on the pawls and seal, red grease in the cheap bearing only.  Waterproof grease on the endcap seal.  The hub was clean inside, but the bearing was in need of some grease for certain.  We will now see how long this bearing lasts with some minor attention.