What am I doing wrong?

May 24, 2022, 1:48 p.m.

I have a SRAM dub pf92 bottom bracket going into its fourth season. I pulled off the cranks to check the bearings and they are smooth like buttah and they do not creak. Surely that’s indicative of something wrong? Aren’t press fit bottom brackets and DUB in particular absolute shite? Could it be that those that have legitimate problems with any part or standard are just really vocal like the radical right?

Last edited by: andy-eunson on May 24, 2022, 1:48 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
May 24, 2022, 1:50 p.m.

We had a couple PF BBs in the fleet for ~4 years and never had any creaking or premature wear with them. I am still not excited about PF BBs, but if a frame was perfect for me in everyway except that it had a PF BB I'd still buy one.

May 24, 2022, 3 p.m.

My only PF BB worked fine. 

The threaded BB in adaptor worked fine in that bike too. 

My threaded BB’s work fine too, but I can easily service them myself with tools I already own. 

Amazing.

May 24, 2022, 6:27 p.m.

I've had two sets of DUB cranks they were both conspicuously problem free. I hadn't heard that they were prone to problems?

Currently on the first non-dub crank I've had in four years, and the bearings already need to be replaced 5 months in...

May 25, 2022, 7:36 a.m.

I haven't had any issues with 2 consecutive personal bikes with PF BB either - knocking on wood.

The first one was a GXP PF BB. Given the bad rep I bought a spare BB to be ready for when the shit would hit the fan. 5 years later the original BB was still spinning smoothly and I gave the unused spare BB to the guy who bought the bike from me.

Currently on a DUB PF BB, so far so good.

Over the years I've had premature wear issues with a few other PF bearings though, specifically rear hub and suspension pivots. In all cases I highly suspected the issues to be related to poor tolerances. The rear hub one was just too tight a fit, putting pressure on the bearing. The pivot ones suffered from poor alignment of the frame parts.

May 25, 2022, 8:16 a.m.

I had one implode causing my crank arm to fall off and then I fell off a cliff and died.  Other than that smooth sailing.

May 25, 2022, 2:52 p.m.

Alright, we'll call it a draw.