What Alu Tubless rims have you've been happy most with

July 10, 2019, 12:59 a.m.

I've been using a set of i9 enduro wheels for the last 4 years : very satisfied with those.

Regularly 20% off at Jensonusa.

July 10, 2019, 4:09 a.m.

if on 30-40% sale, I9s are the ones to go.. their Enduro-S line is fantastic...although if you get into the details of stiffness and alloy/carbon frame combination, I rather get more compliant wheels (enduro S ones have std spokes vs alloy ones in their higher end ones)

July 10, 2019, 9:39 a.m.

Posted by: trumpstinyhands

From a wheel building perspective I've been impressed with Chromag rims. While I'm sure they are not made in a special factory, when applying equal spoke tension during the tensioning phase they are actually round which is a sad rarity. I also agree on Bontrager Line 30 wheels with the POE upgrade being good cheap options. J bend spokes, brass nipples, pretty sturdy rims.

And the rims in that wheelset are the same as the rims in the Line Elite, making them a great value wheelset. Especially as they come with a tubeless strip and valve stem. I really think that tubeless strip is what is allowing me to keep shredding on my Line Elites with very awful dents from running too low tire pressure.

The rim by itself is a $120ish rim, so being all set to go for $250 (i think) just need to install tire is a bargain.

July 10, 2019, 4:10 p.m.

Posted by: nouseforaname

Posted by: trumpstinyhands

From a wheel building perspective I've been impressed with Chromag rims. While I'm sure they are not made in a special factory, when applying equal spoke tension during the tensioning phase they are actually round which is a sad rarity. I also agree on Bontrager Line 30 wheels with the POE upgrade being good cheap options. J bend spokes, brass nipples, pretty sturdy rims.

And the rims in that wheelset are the same as the rims in the Line Elite, making them a great value wheelset. Especially as they come with a tubeless strip and valve stem. I really think that tubeless strip is what is allowing me to keep shredding on my Line Elites with very awful dents from running too low tire pressure.

The rim by itself is a $120ish rim, so being all set to go for $250 (i think) just need to install tire is a bargain.

That's cool, I didn't know the rims are the same, so that weight diff is just in the hubs eh? I agree the rim strip seems to help them as well.

July 20, 2019, 9:37 p.m.

Posted by: Brocklanders

e*thirteen LG1.

Beat the crap out of them. They have stayed true and only one spoke snap in a year of use. Still rolling them.

Just killed my backwheel it is all cracked to shit. I'm hard on sports gear but didn't think they would fail after only a year and a half. Have a cheap substitute until I decide what wheel set to get next. Prob the DT Swiss? I'm too scared to buy carbon, will destroy them. Something that will last a couple years would be nice.

Help me Obi Wan Kenobi... You are my only hope.....

Last edited by: Brocklanders on July 20, 2019, 9:47 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
July 21, 2019, 12:12 a.m.

Does e13 only lifetime warranty LG1r’s?

That said, not having any luck with their stuff on my new TUES and am looking to replace all of their parts.

July 21, 2019, 1:32 p.m.

e*thirteen LG1.

Beat the crap out of them. They have stayed true and only one spoke snap in a year of use. Still rolling them.

Just killed my backwheel it is all cracked to shit. I'm hard on sports gear but didn't think they would fail after only a year and a half. Have a cheap substitute until I decide what wheel set to get next. Prob the DT Swiss? I'm too scared to buy carbon, will destroy them. Something that will last a couple years would be nice.

Help me Obi Wan Kenobi... You are my only hope.....

Are you on the Plus level rims? If you’re super hard on gear and a heavy guy sounds like getting a year and half out of a rim is pretty good. That said reaching out to E13 might be worth it. Their customers service was awesome when my buddy contacted them about an issue he had. You might at least get a crash replacement deal or something.

The E13 Plus rims are noticeably stronger than their base stuff, but that’s true for most brands I think. Their Plus stuff is made from a stronger aluminum and the rims are welded.

My friend has the entry level aluminum Capra with the DT Swiss M1900 wheels and detonated them after a month. Those are DT’s lowest level wheel though, so I think the problem is more with product managers specing lower level rims/wheels to save money on some models.That stuff just doesn’t last under some riders.

I’ve had awesome luck with all my E13 stuff (wheels, cassette, and tires), and friends of mine on their wheels have no complaints either.

July 21, 2019, 4:39 p.m.

Ya the warranty was up. I will just try and get a replacement. I ran the tires too soft on a ride and dented the rim pretty bad. From there the wheel just failed. I was really happy with them until that point, my bad. Been looking online for a replacement and haven't found one yet. Yes as stated for the amount of riding I do on the shore, 1.5 years on a backwheel isn't so bad. I'm 190 pounds w/o gear for some reason I destroy back wheels. Don't even ask about the RF wheels I had.... Sorry about the earlier post, was just kinda emotional....

Last edited by: Brocklanders on July 21, 2019, 4:44 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 23, 2019, 7:48 a.m.

My e*thirteen LG1plus rear rim now has dents. Sad face.

I think I ran too low pressure also. Was so pleased with until this point. They even stayed true with a couple of loose spokes on a ride.

I'd love to get a replacement and maybe put some sort of insert in as well for extra protection. Perhaps this is the way forward for us fatties?

Aug. 25, 2019, 2:05 a.m.

I can really recommend the DT Swiss 1501 30mm wheels and also their ex511 and xm481 (front only) rims.

They’re holding up great and offer a compliant and snappy ride quality, no dents and no flats and NO trueing stand needed for two full seasons of hard riding.

Unfortunately the complete wheelsets have fugly decals which are under very durable clearcoat. 

I bought a NEWMEN A.30 wheelset a couple of weeks ago and the rear wheel is toast already. Bad luck, maybe. But also, while light and with a nice freehub feel, the ride quality is harsher than the DT SWISS or FLOW MK3. 

I wouldn’t have thought, but I really enjoy wheels with a bit more compliance. Also they seem to protect themselves better from tire defects and dents. 

I use the FCK flats from marsh guard on the rear wheel. Great stuff. 

Nukeproof ARD inserts work too, but the special valves are not working for me (and some buddies). They loose a bit of air all the time.

Aug. 29, 2019, 5:27 p.m.

Posted by: Znarf

Nukeproof ARD inserts work too, but the special valves are not working for me (and some buddies). They loose a bit of air all the time.

I had a lot of trouble getting those things to work properly. First the valves were not sealing to my rims (Flow MK3) so I bought some cushcore valves, which worked better but still kind of finicky. Once I solved the valve issue I was still having problems - the inserts seemed to beat the crap out of my rim tape causing slow leaks (not 100% sure that was the issue but that's my hunch). Finally got them to work after re-taping the rim with Gorilla tape and some additional trial & error.

Last edited by: Bull_Dozer on Aug. 29, 2019, 5:29 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 30, 2019, 9:50 a.m.

just started out on a Flow EX3 with a RimpactMTB insert in the rear.  Good reviews on both products.

#nodignoride

Last edited by: LoamtoHome on Aug. 30, 2019, 9:50 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 31, 2019, 6:59 a.m.

Posted by: Bull_Dozer

Posted by: Znarf

I had a lot of trouble getting those things to work properly. First the valves were not sealing to my rims (Flow MK3) so I bought some cushcore valves, which worked better but still kind of finicky. Once I solved the valve issue I was still having problems - the inserts seemed to beat the crap out of my rim tape causing slow leaks (not 100% sure that was the issue but that's my hunch). Finally got them to work after re-taping the rim with Gorilla tape and some additional trial & error.

That is some good intel! I will double check and report back, once I have to remove my tire.

My buddy, whom I gave my spare ARD, had a strange incident with a hole in the tubeless tape, too. A couple of days after he installed the ARD. No punctured tire, but sealant oozing our of spoke holes...

Also the Nukeproof valve wouldn’t seal in his Syntace rims. A cut out valve from an old tube worked without issue 

I had great success with the FCK Flats.

Funny how high tech a supposedly low-tech thing like a foam insert can be :)

Sept. 26, 2019, 9:21 a.m.

Talked to Spank directly.  The 359/350 stand up the best.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ca/en/spank-350-vibrocore-boost-mtb-wheelset/rp-prod165512

Not a bad price