What Alu Tubless rims have you've been happy most with

July 5, 2019, 10:27 a.m.

Another E13 fan here. Been on the TRS+ 30mm internal for a while now with no issues. Super strong and seating tires has been a breeze. Think they were renamed "LG1 EN" this year (not to be confused with LG1 DH). I think "Plus" refers to their welded rim made out of a stronger alloy than the non Plus stuff....

Last edited by: Jenkins5 on July 5, 2019, 10:27 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 5, 2019, 11:27 a.m.

EX471 or EX511 without question

July 5, 2019, 1:04 p.m.

Posted by: Jenkins5

Another E13 fan here. Been on the TRS+ 30mm internal for a while now with no issues. Super strong and seating tires has been a breeze. Think they were renamed "LG1 EN" this year (not to be confused with LG1 DH). I think "Plus" refers to their welded rim made out of a stronger alloy than the non Plus stuff....

I ran OEM TRS (30mm id) on my YT for 2 years with only one minor ding in the back and I weighed up to 225lbs at the time (lighter now). Only broke two spokes too.

New bike just came with TRS Race carbon wheels, will see how they fair.

July 5, 2019, 5:53 p.m.

Posted by: grambo

I ran OEM TRS (30mm id) on my YT for 2 years with only one minor ding in the back and I weighed up to 225lbs at the time (lighter now). Only broke two spokes too.

New bike just came with TRS Race carbon wheels, will see how they fair.

My buddy runs the carbon and he’s a big guy (205) and loves them. The fact that they come with lifetime warranty is nice peace of mind too.

Last edited by: Jenkins5 on July 5, 2019, 5:54 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 5, 2019, 7:02 p.m.

Posted by: coolatt

I'm leaning towards one of the many Spank rims or an MK3. 

I can't see what the difference is between the Spank 345 and 350 other than 20 grams and $10

Anyone recommend a shop to get this built?

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2363/5997/files/SPANK_HF_1140x500web_Rims_Wheels_2.jpg?v=1561012750

here,s a cross-section view of the Spank rims, The 350 is not as tall in height

July 7, 2019, 7:52 a.m.

As an aside, if I wanted to replace my Flow MK3 (605 ERD) with a Flow EX3 (602 ERD), can I reuse the same spokes or do I need shorter ones?

July 7, 2019, 3:36 p.m.

They are just cheapies but my Bontrager line comp 30s with 108t upgrade have been awesome. I run them on my chromag so especially the rear gets pummeled.

Cheap, durable, hub makes some noise but not obnoxious, good engagement, good width, and the factory tubeless "TLR" strips work really.

They're a little heavy at around 2080g for the set. They work well enough if I decided to splurge on some lighter aluminum wheels I'd be tempted by the line elites, at just under 1800g and $800cad

Last edited by: Kenny on July 7, 2019, 3:38 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 7, 2019, 9:11 p.m.

Chromag Phase 30. Best rims I've had. Broke 3 rims (XT, Flow mk3 and Giant carbon) before running these. I've beaten the snot out of them on my hardtail for the past 18 months and, apart from an initial re-tension after the first couple of rides, haven't touched them. No dents, stayed true. Highly recommended. 

I know a few people that run the beefier one (BA30) in the back too for a bit of extra security. I haven't felt the need though

July 8, 2019, 3:20 p.m.

Jesus killed the dinosaurs then died so we could all ride fantastic plastic bicycle rims.  

Just saying. 

¯\(ツ)

July 8, 2019, 3:34 p.m.

Posted by: DemonMike

Posted by: coolatt

I'm leaning towards one of the many Spank rims or an MK3. 

I can't see what the difference is between the Spank 345 and 350 other than 20 grams and $10

Anyone recommend a shop to get this built?

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2363/5997/files/SPANK_HF_1140x500web_Rims_Wheels_2.jpg?v=1561012750

here,s a cross-section view of the Spank rims, The 350 is not as tall in height

Strange chart. The rim I'm using is the lightest there, and is rated for enduro, freeride and DH, but not trail. 

Guess I'm doing it wrong.

July 9, 2019, 9:57 a.m.

chain reaction has hope wheels on sale for 44% off - could be worth a look

July 9, 2019, 2:08 p.m.

Posted by: PembyRocks

Chromag Phase 30. Best rims I've had. Broke 3 rims (XT, Flow mk3 and Giant carbon) before running these. I've beaten the snot out of them on my hardtail for the past 18 months and, apart from an initial re-tension after the first couple of rides, haven't touched them. No dents, stayed true. Highly recommended. 

I know a few people that run the beefier one (BA30) in the back too for a bit of extra security. I haven't felt the need though

Seriously considering a set of those as well!

Los

July 9, 2019, 6:50 p.m.

I've found DT and Praxis the most durable, and it the event of dents, they tend to pull out ok without cracking.

July 9, 2019, 8:26 p.m.

From a wheel building perspective I've been impressed with Chromag rims. While I'm sure they are not made in a special factory, when applying equal spoke tension during the tensioning phase they are actually round which is a sad rarity. I also agree on Bontrager Line 30 wheels with the POE upgrade being good cheap options. J bend spokes, brass nipples, pretty sturdy rims.

July 9, 2019, 9:11 p.m.

Posted by: craw

I was researching this very question recently and everyone I spoke with loves the DT Swiss EX 511. A little bit heavy but most had used them for a long time and were still holding air nicely.

x2 for this. I actually use the DT Swiss EX471 (25mm Inner width versus the EX511 30mm inner) rims because I'm still not totally a wider (and heavier) rim fan boy but these rims are about as good as aluminum rims can get. I've had a set that I have been seriously abusing on and off for 3 years now and they are still going strong. The back one will probably get replaced in the next year as it does had some very minor dings and flat spots but for 3 years I'd call that good value.

These days though carbon rims are a temping option if you can get ones that are built to take abuse and don't try to go too light. I have a set of Light Bicycle (LB) rims on wheels that I had built that I'm also super happy with. I initially cracked the rear rim with a heavy rock strike on the rim edge after only a month of riding but they replaced it under warranty and offered to give me a extra heavy layup (only maybe 50grams heavier) on the replacement if I was okay with that option. I took them up on that offer and have not regretted it. Overall the wheel is about the same weight as the EX471 but the great thing about carbon rims is that unless you crack the carbon, all you have to do is periodically check spoke tension and they'll stay as true and round as the day you bought them. That is, at least, until the day you crack them in which case you can pretty much throw them away and start over. They are also pretty much at least twice as expensive though (for the bare rim), even for cheaper off brands like L.B.. Because of this I doubt I'll go carbon again the next time round as long as the DT EX rims are still available but it really is a tough call.

BTW, my riding weight is around 235 lbs and I like to plow (Ned's on Seymour may be one of my favorite rides on the North Shore) so when a rim lasts for me, I'd say that's a pretty good recommendation.  I actually don't understand how rims this light can take the stress I put them through; its nothing short of miraculous.  Considering I broke the damper rod on a DB inline, and aerated a freshly bled RS Super Deluxe in about 3 months riding and cracked the rotating shock link on my last bike, I have to say if wheel lasts for me it should last for anyone short of a world cup downhill racer.

Last edited by: Xorrox on July 9, 2019, 9:27 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spelling and additions