Wet weather glove suggestion

Sept. 27, 2021, 8:12 a.m.

With the wet weather upon us, I've started to realize that my regular riding gloves and hands need some help

I've been looking at the getting a dedicated pair of wet weather gloves vs the latex gloves under the glove mod

Any input from the hive would be appreciated, from what I've found so far

100% brisker for cold/damp days

100% brisker hydromatic for downpours

Any other suggestions?

Sept. 27, 2021, 9:17 a.m.

I like the TLD Swelter for general purpose fall and winter rides. If it gets really cold and wet I have some Pearl Izumi (Cyclones I think).

Sept. 27, 2021, 10:46 a.m.

i like the fox ranger water glove for the local rainy days. nice thin palm with a waterproof(esque) back.

Sept. 27, 2021, 12:44 p.m.

100% Brisker would be my vote if it's wet.

I also recently got some Chromag Terro gloves, which are merino and therefore a bit warmer than some other options. They're nice for cooler days that aren't miserable.

Sept. 27, 2021, 2:12 p.m.

you could try neoprene gloves

Sept. 27, 2021, 3:28 p.m.

I have both the Brisker and the Brisker Hydromatic. I'm not a fan of the hydros unless it's truly a deluge. I sweat them out and get cold on descents because they don't breathe well enough - this is my beef with anything that has a membrane. I find 2 pair of Briskers is a more comfortable option, or switch into the Hydromatics only for the descent. The hydros also fit almost a size smaller than the "normal" Briskers.

Sept. 27, 2021, 5:58 p.m.

When it's really wet out I reach for my 20 year old pair of Northwest River Supplies kayaking gloves. Thin neoprene backing keeps comfortably warm but can also use a poly liner glove if really cold. Kayaking/rafting supply shops still have them around and often on sale relatively cheap for the thin (.5 to 1mm) neoprene.

Sept. 27, 2021, 7:06 p.m.

This is the last piece I need for wet weather, thanks all, looking forward to trying them all out.

Sept. 27, 2021, 8:04 p.m.

Wet and not very cold Fox Ranger is excellent. Really good dexterity with this one. Waterproofing is “okay” but probably above average for the mountain bike market. You’ll want more than one pair for real rain for longer rides. 

Wet and cold 100% Brisker Hydromatic. Dexterity isn’t as good as the Fox Ranger but this one is warm. I’ve been happy with them down to sleet. Waterproofing is also average but probably above average for the MTB market. But, these ones are warm when wet so there’s that.

Sept. 27, 2021, 9:19 p.m.

I would suggest multiple gloves regardless of what you do. I bring a second pair of gloves in a ziploc and switch out mid ride. I find waterproof gloves to be tricky as they are either bulky, don't breathe or simply don't work very well. As with all my other waterproof gear, I've lowered my expectations from 'I'll be perfectly dry' to 'I'll be more comfortable for longer'.

Sept. 27, 2021, 11:08 p.m.

Posted by: JVP

I have both the Brisker and the Brisker Hydromatic. I'm not a fan of the hydros unless it's truly a deluge. I sweat them out and get cold on descents because they don't breathe well enough - this is my beef with anything that has a membrane. I find 2 pair of Briskers is a more comfortable option, or switch into the Hydromatics only for the descent. The hydros also fit almost a size smaller than the "normal" Briskers.

Agree with this 100% 

For coast winter the brisker can be used for 95% of the winter rides. It is a great glove and my go to even if it is raining. Hydromatic only if it is really cold and raining (maybe 3 x per year)

Sept. 28, 2021, 6:27 a.m.

Posted by: DangerousDave

I would suggest multiple gloves regardless of what you do. I bring a second pair of gloves in a ziploc and switch out mid ride. I find waterproof gloves to be tricky as they are either bulky, don't breathe or simply don't work very well. As with all my other waterproof gear, I've lowered my expectations from 'I'll be perfectly dry' to 'I'll be more comfortable for longer'.

After buying more high end wet weather gear than I care to admit I’ve learned that (here on the Coast at least) warm when wet and dries quick are much easier to achieve than stays dry.

Sept. 28, 2021, 9:04 a.m.

I bought these for gravel riding in cold weather.  

https://showerspass.ca/collections/waterproof-gloves/products/crosspoint-knit-waterproof-gloves

I won't ride in full monsoon, but they were warm down to freezing temps on 90-120min rides including light rain.  Might be too thick for MTB application, but YMMV.

Sept. 28, 2021, 9:56 a.m.

Thanks for all the great ideas- off to the LBS to see whats in stock

Sept. 29, 2021, 2:52 a.m.

For the UK winter (which I think is similar to coastal BC i.e. not super cold but generally fairly wet, 100% Briskers are the defacto choice.