Wet weather gear

Sept. 8, 2010, 11:39 a.m.

What do you guys wear for riding in the wet weather? I'm going to Whistler this weekend and would like to be prepared.

Andy

Sept. 8, 2010, 12:12 p.m.

Chassless aps.

Wrong. Always.

Sept. 8, 2010, 1:07 p.m.

Smartwool jerseys next to the skin, and a normal jersey over that. Wool is unbelievably comfy in hot, cold [HTML_REMOVED] wet, plus they don't get funky.

If it's really cold and pissing rain, bring 3 sets of gloves and put a dry one on when you can't feel your hands, throw one of those garbage bag-ish things on, ride till numb, hit hot tub, drink whiskey.

-- Founder of Abit Gear MTB shorts --

Sept. 8, 2010, 1:20 p.m.

In the wet, nothing will keep you dry, so the best approach is to stay comfy.
If you wear a waterproof layer, you will sweat because it doesn't breathe well. Like jvp said, a thermal layer close to your skin is the best option.

I have a friend who wears nitrile gloves (the thin rubber gloves that mechanics sometimes use) under his riding gloves, and it acts like a windbreaker. I'm not so sure how well it works, but he swears by it.

Sept. 8, 2010, 1:37 p.m.

I have ultra thin merino wool gloves which I plan to wear under a pair of my normal gloves when it gets cold. Will advise as to how well it works.

Wrong. Always.

Sept. 8, 2010, 3:18 p.m.

Neoprene paddling gloves! I got some from MEC for pretty cheap, kept my hands nice and toasty all through last winter.

I also agree about a nice merino base layer. You're going to get wet regardless, you might as well wear something that will keep you warm even when soaking wet.

Sept. 8, 2010, 5:02 p.m.

Neoprene paddling gloves! I got some from MEC for pretty cheap, kept my hands nice and toasty all through last winter.

What he said. But don't use them in dry cold weather as they don't offer much warmth.

In the wet, nothing will keep you dry

I pray to the goretex gods. I swear by my $200 MEC goretex pants for gravity fed or slightly pedally rides. Just whip 'em off after to reveal dry shorts underneath. So, so good :)

Sustainable will be around forever.

Sept. 8, 2010, 6:19 p.m.

I use an event jacket if it is really raining, with merino woll base layer or mec short or long sleeve underwear. I use merino wool base with a riding jersey if it is not too cold or too rainy. I have not gone to a waterproof bottom . The best I have arrived at is some sort of nylon short with a DWR coating to repel water (if I shuttle I may bring along an extra pair of shorts to change into between laps)

For gloves I try to stay as light as possible as big gloves equal less grip on the bars. I have a pair of wind blocker road gloves for the wet/cold. Then I carry another two or three pairs of regular full finger gloves and simply switch them once they are wet.

Socks are always merino wool defeat wooli boolies. Great for warmth when wet. I know some guys who go goretex socks as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sept. 8, 2010, 8:22 p.m.

rainy days at whistler… hoody and shorts.

Sept. 8, 2010, 8:30 p.m.

Garbage bags……….j/k. Layer with a wind and waterproof shell. You may not stay completely dry but at least you'll be better off than sopping wet:)

Shed head!

Sept. 8, 2010, 10:08 p.m.

I also agree about a nice merino base layer. You're going to get wet regardless, you might as well wear something that will keep you warm even when soaking wet.

Yeah so these glove really err..stink after about the 3rd ride. Sorry, but while you're warm the stench is just too much and I pitched mine in the garden. Those kayaker's must be filty animals to put up with that.

Recommend the merino gloves with stuff on the fingers for grip (deFeet ones). They'll get wet like everything, but you stay warm and don't smell.

The other downer is the seal skinz sock. Just go woolie boolies and let the water drain somewhat whilst staying warm. So long as you've got wool and some form of wind-break, life is good.

NSMBA member.

Sept. 9, 2010, 8:26 a.m.

Yeah so these glove really err..stink after about the 3rd ride. Sorry, but while you're warm the stench is just too much and I pitched mine in the garden. Those kayaker's must be filty animals to put up with that.

The ones I use have a leather palm and fingers and I haven't noticed an ungodly stink.

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302885971[HTML_REMOVED]PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442507823[HTML_REMOVED]bFlashEnabled=true

That said I could totally see the ones made entirely of neoprene developing a funk pretty quickly.

Sept. 9, 2010, 9:53 a.m.

I'll second that. I have a pair of those that I haven't touched in years. You have to be really careful to dry them after every ride, and they still reek after a while.

flickr

Sept. 9, 2010, 10:21 a.m.

I wear merino wool 3/4 tights under my shorts. These ones from IO/BIO

Then for upper base layer merino short sleeve shirt.

Then either another long sleeve merino top or a light fleece depending on temps.

Top that off withe best breathable jacket you can get. Event seems to be the best from the research I've done.

Short is kinda the fail point. Just a regular pair of riding shorts for light rain, or if it's a shuttle day and pouring then a pair of waterproof over shorts over that. I've taken inexpensive rain pants and cut them down to long shorts. I have yet to see a good pair of waterproof shorts, but have not fully checked out the Enduro ones yet.

Gloves look for a pair of the wool ones hunters use that have little traction nubs on them.

Sept. 9, 2010, 11:30 a.m.

Rain does suck tho. It takes Five Tens forever to dry after they've been through a serious downpour. I'd like some sort of semi-water proof 3/4 short that will cover a good chunk of my 661 kyle straits. I don't like it when they get too wet. Feels very odd.

Wrong. Always.