weird tubeless problem...

Oct. 13, 2008, 11:06 p.m.

… where my Stan's sealant, rather than remaining a consistant liquid solution, becomes a large, odd and useless rubbery curd-ball inside my tire.

:S

it's happened two or three times now in thick and thin wall tires 2.35 and 2.7.

I'm running ghetto tubeless.

has anyone else had this happen? know how to prevent it? I'm considering mixing stans with latex mold builder and water to see what happens.

Disclaimer: the above text is in no way or form intended to harm you. if by any chance you are offended by it, please take a moment to Harden the F*** Up. thank you.

"Trust that little voice in your head that says, 'wouldn't it be interesting if…'; and then do it."
-Duane Michals

FOR SALE: NEW Small/med KBC Moto/ATV/MTB Helmets - $70!!!
WANTED: Argon cylinder! 55-125cf
also WANTED: SRAM Rear Derailleur. AND 2.35" 60a hard rubber MTB tire.

Oct. 14, 2008, 5:18 a.m.

stan's sealent is not very effected by colder weather due to the anti-freeze they put into the mix, so i don't think its a temp. issue causing the problem

I can only assume that your sealent is reacting to either the soap (detergent) you are using to seat / seal your setup or your ghetto tire strip material (although this is unlikely as it should be butyl rubber like the stan's strip)

I use dish washing detergent and don't have any problems with it reacting with sealent, the sealent stays liquid for months here in England

another possibility is your inflation system if using an air compressor with an oil lubrication system misted oil may be finding its way into your tire inner space and reacting with the sealent

Mythic / Da Kine / Esher Shore / Freeborn

http://hampsteadbandit.blogspot.com/

Oct. 14, 2008, 6:59 a.m.

the sealent has dried up and needs to be replaced… it dosent last for ever so the only option is to replace it!

Oct. 14, 2008, 7:24 a.m.

It happens after a while. Remove the ball and add a bit more…

Make sure the inside of your tire is really clean when installing.

The best things in life all start with the letter B
Hooray for: Bacon, Bikeys, Boobies, Boards, and Beer!

Oct. 14, 2008, 9:46 a.m.

Is it possible that you are not cleaning the white powdery stuff out of the innertube effectively prior to assembly?

Maybe that ball is the talc combined with the stan's?

--just a thought….

Oct. 14, 2008, 10:28 a.m.

I'm betting that you're using CO2 Cartridges? The CO2 reacts with the latex and makes it harden up into weird balls…

Get a nice pocket pump or change over to Bontrager Super Juice :)

Oct. 14, 2008, 11:41 a.m.

well, I always clean the tire and tube inside and out thoroughly before mounting, and did not use soap for mounting.

I don't know if it is a compressor oil problem because this only happens after the sealant is topped-up a couple times, then inflated with a floor pump. previously I used a compressor at a gas station, but I have an oil-less compressor now.

I have never used Co2.

I'm thinking it could be related to quickly letting air in and out of the tire (re-filling etc.), but it could just be the age of the sealant. I just think it's odd to have it lump up the way it did.

and I've never heard of the bontrager stuff before. I guess it's worth a look!

Disclaimer: the above text is in no way or form intended to harm you. if by any chance you are offended by it, please take a moment to Harden the F*** Up. thank you.

"Trust that little voice in your head that says, 'wouldn't it be interesting if…'; and then do it."
-Duane Michals

FOR SALE: NEW Small/med KBC Moto/ATV/MTB Helmets - $70!!!
WANTED: Argon cylinder! 55-125cf
also WANTED: SRAM Rear Derailleur. AND 2.35" 60a hard rubber MTB tire.

Oct. 14, 2008, 12:19 p.m.

I think its normal, especially over the summer. You air them up with relatively dry air (ie on a hot June day), the air absorbs a little moisture inside and releases it when you air it down. Repeat 50 times over the summer and it'll totally dry out

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Oct. 14, 2008, 1:17 p.m.

I think its normal, especially over the summer. You air them up with relatively dry air (ie on a hot June day), the air absorbs a little moisture inside and releases it when you air it down. Repeat 50 times over the summer and it'll totally dry out

X2. Add a bit of water every now and then to re-dilute and prevent drying.

Oct. 14, 2008, 3:34 p.m.

happens to me too… i just put a new cup of stans in… a bit of a hassle but after adding stans once or twice my tires are usually worn out anyways…

Oct. 17, 2008, 7:18 a.m.

I use a special mix of Liquid latex(mold builder), Slime, PE Antifreeze and glitter. Works quite well. I've had a 3" long nail puncture my tread, hit the rim and curl out to put a gapping hole in my sidewall. Sealed it right up. However after 6 weeks I got a snot ball of latex similar to this.

Whats odd is that I still had some left over of this concoction in a clear bottle and its perfectly stable.

All propaganda has to be popular and has to accommodate itself to the comprehension of the least intelligent of those whom it seeks to reach.

Oct. 17, 2008, 4:54 p.m.

lol glitter, the secret ingredient

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Oct. 18, 2008, 3:08 p.m.

Because the sidewalls of all non-tubeless tires are somewhat porous, air and some water vapour will be lost over time. This causes the nature of the sealant to change over time as it dehydrates. The end result is partial or complete coagulation and hardening of the sealant. This will not happen if you remember to regularly add more sealant.

"Walk a mile in another man's shoes. Then, you'll be a mile away from him and have his shoes."

http://www.valleyvetservices.com
www.vmta.ca

Oct. 18, 2008, 3:28 p.m.

how often should i be adding sealant?

Oct. 18, 2008, 10:53 p.m.

This depends on the porosity of the tire sidewalls (and this various from tire to tire). The Continental Explorers on my XC bike need top-up once per month for sure while the Nevegal 2.5's on my big bike can easily go 6-8 weeks. Summer temperatures will tend to shorten the interval.

"Walk a mile in another man's shoes. Then, you'll be a mile away from him and have his shoes."

http://www.valleyvetservices.com
www.vmta.ca