Waterproof glove liners. NBR

Dec. 1, 2007, 5:46 p.m.

Hello Gearheads, need some advice.

I've had a pretty good look at some of the past posts here and there are some good suggestions but nothing that really specifically fits my requirements so I'll try my luck before I have to resort to plan b.

I'm currently working as a landscaper/home maintenance bloke and its getting a bit cold sometimes.
I'm looking for waterproof glove liners that can be worn under heavier work gloves. I have discovered sealskins and they are pretty good, however they don't seem to be completely waterproof or I sweat a lot under them as by the end of a long day my hands are wet. Ideally someone would make some Gore-Tex ones. Does anyone know if there is a glove equivalent of these?
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302734333[HTML_REMOVED]PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441772599[HTML_REMOVED]bmUID=1196559402158

I'd be wearing them under my Atlas therma fits usually. Of coures if I could find something good enough they would probably be worn under MTB gloves as well.

Failing that can anyone recommend any particular waterproof gloves? I occasionally have to clean gutters all day and when you have to be breaking ice and dipping fingers into water all day the difference between waterproof and water resistant is very important. I've considered cheapo latex ones but suspect that I'll sweat too much. A heavy duty work glove with a Gore-Tex layer that doesn't affect dexterity too much would be good as a second option.

Any suggestions?

I ride Bikes

Dec. 2, 2007, 8:20 a.m.

no gloves are waterproof except maybe full on rubber (except when water gets into them or your hands sweat…. always happens)
those atlas gloves are not warm at all
try leather ones with small thin wool liners (separate gloves…the leather ones breathe, the wool keeps you warm)
or watson makes thin white poly ones that work well too.
either way, you'll have to learn to not worry about wet hands and be happy with wet, warm hands!

(BTW….i have worked on concrete formwork for 15 years so far in all climates and these are the only solutions i have found. my hands are NEVER warm AND dry, except for the first five minutes of the day!!!! hahahahaha)

Dec. 2, 2007, 11:20 a.m.

try the work glove rack at marks WWW ,they have those fabric gloves with the working area dipped in rubber. You will still have wet hands but they give protection and a little warmth .They come in several grades of rubberizing depending on how much dexterity you need for about 12$

I was using the lightest grade for field work up in the bush where I needed to be able to write as well as have protection for grabbing small spruce/cutting disc samples/needle samples .They were warm enough for rain but the few times it was snowing my hands were cold

Dec. 2, 2007, 11:31 a.m.

I work at a nursery. I usually rock these:

But I'm not sticking my hands into water all day. If it's raining really hard I'll usually go with the nitrile underneath. I've never really found anything that will allow you to maintain dexterity if you load up with layers. Just get a few pairs and change after lunch/break/whatever.

Check my stuff for sale!

Dec. 2, 2007, 12:34 p.m.

When I was working as a land surveyor on the north shore and digging around in the muck all day long, I layered MEC polypropolene glove liners under nitrile-coated work gloves and just changed to dry ones a few times a day.

There is absolutely nothing out there that combines dexterity, warmth, breathability, durability, and water-resistance.

Mighty Riders
On The Rivet Cyclewear
Vallie Components
Novex Clean Delivery Solutions

Dec. 3, 2007, 11:02 a.m.

There is no one easy solution to this. Best bet is to have a quiver of gloves and switch them up as needed. Just be warm you'll never be warm and dry working outside in the wet winter around here.

Total waterproof and warm. But if you are workng too hard and start sweating to breathability. So use em when it's cold.

Not waterproof but will keep you warm when wet. Basically just a warmer version of your Atlas gloves. These are really warm and will allow the sweat breath some.

Can't find the third pair to show, but basically just a less warm version of the above. They are warmer than the typical Altas glove. They are black and available at Save On for about 3.50 a pair. My hands are usually pretty warm and I have been using these ones so far this fall/winter.

Dec. 4, 2007, 11:31 p.m.

Ta for the advice everyone, I'll try a few things out………coldest winter in 15 years apparently, can't wait.

I ride Bikes

Dec. 5, 2007, 5:38 p.m.

…….coldest winter in 15 years apparently, can't wait.

don't get your hopes up. It might be 8 degrees instead of 9 in the city.

Dec. 6, 2007, 4:53 p.m.

don't get your hopes up. It might be 8 degrees instead of 9 in the city.

Don't burst my bubble, I'm hoping to appear hardcore to people back in Oz :)

I ride Bikes

Dec. 9, 2007, 8:26 p.m.

Just make sure to wash your gloves often as sweaty/wet/dirty gloves can lead to a hand fungus that isn't too fun. My hands just finished a molt because of it.

I'm the best at being modest !