Waterproof backpack

Sept. 18, 2014, 8:52 p.m.

Anyone got a recommendation for a good waterproof riding pack?

I generally use a Kriega Hydro 5 during the summer which works great, but in the winter I need something a bit bigger to stick a spare layer etc. I have a Mule NV with the pull out rain cover, but would really prefer something that is truly waterproof so I can simply hose it off when I get back and it'll drip dry by the next day. Any suggestions?

Sept. 18, 2014, 9:55 p.m.

I ride to/from work everyday and do the majority of my wet/winter riding using an ACRE roll top pack by Mission Workshop.

USA Made. Expensive. Super Comfortable. Very Adjustable. Weather Proof (not waterproof in a submersible sense). AWESOME.

http://acre-supply.com/bags/ : I use the 10L.

On The Rivet sells them locally (I don't know if they stock them all the time), and if you are ever in North Vancouver - don't mind putting on a stinky pack - and want to try one on swing by SuspensionWerx and you can try mine (maybe fire me an e-mail the day before because on the odd big-load day I have a larger pack).

D

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

Sept. 18, 2014, 10:05 p.m.

Thanks for the suggestion Drew, looks like just what I'm after. I might take you up on having a look at yours if I am down in the city sometime.

Sept. 18, 2014, 10:18 p.m.

Just purchased one from Acre earlier this week and am very impressed, which I better be for the price.
Good value. Good Product

Sept. 18, 2014, 10:26 p.m.

Just purchased one from Acre earlier this week and am very impressed, which I better be for the price.
Good value. Good Product

Did you get it shipped up from the states? Any customs duties if so?

And which size did you go for? The 10 or 14?

Sept. 18, 2014, 11 p.m.

Thanks for the suggestion Drew, looks like just what I'm after. I might take you up on having a look at yours if I am down in the city sometime.

No problem -- and anytime!

To each their own, but if you like supporting cool, local (local-ish coming from Squish) businesses my ACRE from On The Rivet was ~ the same price (CAD : CAD factoring in shipping) as buying direct online.

Full disclosure: I work in the bike industry, but I don't get any kind of deal there (I get a decent break on other well known brands of packs and I would still pay full pop for my ACRE again, which either says something about me or the pack). I've always had good/friendly/helpful service (they respond to e-mails fairly efficiently), and I never go in without seeing something cool that I haven't come across anywhere else or noticed on the internet.

D

Sept. 19, 2014, 7:06 a.m.

A slightly less expensive (but not cheaper) option is the Orlieb Velocity pack. I've had mine for nearly 2 years and use it most days. Very durable, waterproof, German made and OntheRivet is a dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NSMBA member.

Sept. 19, 2014, 8:02 a.m.

Acre Hauser 14 litre for me since June. Not seen much weather yet but it is the most comfortable pack I have used because it is wide and flat as opposed to narrow and sausage shaped which spreads the load and is more stable. Plus the straps are very adjustable.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Sept. 19, 2014, 8:08 a.m.

A slightly less expensive (but not cheaper) option is the Orlieb Velocity pack. I've had mine for nearly 2 years and use it most days. Very durable, waterproof, German made and OntheRivet is a dealer.

+1 - I've got an Ortlieb Velocity I've used nearly daily since 2008. 100% waterproof and still going strong. When it wears out I'll buy another.

I use it road biking and on my moto. I wouldn't wear it trail riding on the MTB.

Sept. 19, 2014, 8:48 a.m.

For road commuting: absolutely this!

I have a bit of gravel (and a tiny bit of dirt triple track) that allows my inner teenager to get stoked on MtBing to work, and I definitely
find that commuter packs move around too much.

Never thought about it being wide/flat but the Old Fart makes a great point re. Why this pack is comfy -- that plus hugely adjustable.

D

Sept. 19, 2014, 10:08 a.m.

I ride to/from work everyday and do the majority of my wet/winter riding using an ACRE roll top pack by Mission Workshop.

those acre packs look great. i hadn't heard much of substance about them, so assumed my want was mostly based on hype, and therefor having been trying to strangle it - but everyone i know who has one (and drew you are maybe the only person i know who's paid for one!) loves theirs. i know you're a super thoughtful guy when it comes to the gear you use and recommend, so the fact that you own and love one says a lot. the camelback charge you sold me 5 years ago is still going strong and works for me in the winter with a custom water proof lining (plastic shopping bag) but when it dies…

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Sept. 19, 2014, 10:38 a.m.

Indeed, am speaking from experience as a road commuter. For mtb, the extra pockets of the Acre packs will undoubtedly make a bumpy ride settle better than the open space of the Ortlieb. The Velocity pack itself has a sternum and waist belt, and so doesn't move around much if you use them.

NSMBA member.

Sept. 19, 2014, 12:08 p.m.

Have a look at the Patagucci Blackhole and Stormfront series of bags.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Sept. 19, 2014, 1:12 p.m.

There's a surprising dearth of waterproof day/riding packs. IMO those Acre and Patagonia leave a lot of room for improvement in the price/weight/volume equation. Even this bag from MEC looks better. Kinda.

I would keep looking or just keep using a simple pack cover until something better comes along. Or a regular pack with a dry bag inside.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Sept. 19, 2014, 2:05 p.m.

Or a Sealline dry bag pack

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.