Walk Bike? Or other bikes for infants/toddlers

Jan. 30, 2008, 6:48 p.m.

Ok, now that I know the Gear forum exists I'll ask this here instead of NBR. What was that about a Walk Bike near the start of Vish's baby jumping photo thread? I have a 1 y/o nephew and want to get him something to introduce him to biking. Something quality that we can pass down when he's done with it. No Toys R' Us crap!

Anyone parents here with suggestions?

Jan. 30, 2008, 7:11 p.m.

http://www.norco.com/bikes/kids-childrens/run_bikes/

I am definately getting one of these whe the time is right.

These http://www.likeabikeusa.com/?gclid=CM2f0_e_n5ECFQgeYAodDlOSCw are cool too but $$. Apparently they work great indoor.

"May a commune of gay, Marxist Muslim illegal immigrants use your tax dollars to open a drive-thru abortion clinic in your church."

Jan. 30, 2008, 7:14 p.m.

Norco's got some pretty sweet kids bikes :D

Check out my Buy/Sell items on Pinkbike: http://truvativ21.pinkbike.com/buysell/

Jan. 30, 2008, 8:51 p.m.

i'm all over this. pretty trick for a kids bike. of course the norco is probably 1/3 the price…

Jan. 30, 2008, 10:10 p.m.

have made a comeback. We got one for our guy - but he has been to small so far so my wife actually found a "mini" big wheels which he just loved! I think he is big enough for the full sized big wheels now - so it will be coming back with me to the island.

He's 2 now and still doesn't quite get the whole pedalling thing, but he is very interested in the 2 wheeler we have for him - just needs to get a little taller.

The run bikes are pretty cool - but you can also pull the cranks off of a normal kids bike and get almost the same thing…

Finally - BUY USED! There is so much used kids stuf out there and anything fo kids aged 1-3 hardly gets used at all before it is grown out of. Our boy owns almost nothing that came new from a retail store.

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

Jan. 30, 2008, 10:41 p.m.

Run bikes are a great way to teach balance, but I agree that you can just take the crankset off a kids bike and get the same thing. Just make sure the seat will go low enough. Kid's bikes are uber cheap at garage sales or on craigslist.

Jan. 30, 2008, 10:56 p.m.

If you've see the norco run bike you'd understand how LOW the seat goes. I too thought about going with the used mini and just taking the cranks off. Two probs I have with this is A) my kid is tiny B) the exposed BB shell is a great place to ding a little shin on and turn the two wheeled menance into an arch enemy ala Calvin and Hobbes.

If you can make a modified,used bike work, I say go for it but I don't think it is an early option for us.

"May a commune of gay, Marxist Muslim illegal immigrants use your tax dollars to open a drive-thru abortion clinic in your church."

Jan. 30, 2008, 10:57 p.m.

i'm all over this. pretty trick for a kids bike. of course the norco is probably 1/3 the price…

Kokua = to take care, help or assist (in Hawaiian) That's a cool bike though, looks
like it has rear sus?

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

Jan. 30, 2008, 11:17 p.m.

Now those are some bikes I could definitely tailwhip!

The Kokua Bike pic looks like a SolidWorks model. I wonder if it's manufactured yet? I looked at the website and it's a German company so it's funny that it has a Hawaiian meaning. Especially one that's applicable. Looks like they only have wooden bikes on the market so far but the website didn't work too well with my browser.

I know what you mean about used kids stuff. I bet there's tons of those Norcos out there that have been ridden once or twice at the most. I'm sure I can find one on CL.

Big Wheels will always rule! It's how I got introduced to bikes and the world that existed beyond my frontyard. Thanks for the posts!

Jan. 31, 2008, 6:28 a.m.

The Kokua Bike pic looks like a SolidWorks model. I wonder if it's manufactured yet? I looked at the website and it's a German company so it's funny that it has a Hawaiian meaning. Especially one that's applicable. Looks like they only have wooden bikes on the market so far but the website didn't work too well with my browser.

kokua is the parent company that makes the wood like-a-bikes as well. the aluminum bike has been out for a while (i've seen them at modernkid in gastown).

Jan. 31, 2008, 3:11 p.m.

What wrong with a tricycle?

total scam. he put food before beer.