Wade's ride

Nov. 11, 2012, 9:07 a.m.

Yesterday had a chance to ride Wades rocky altitude 27.5" (I think that's what it was) I only tried it for a few minutes, so can't really comment about the bike but man he rides a stiff bike! The suspension was set-up really stiff I felt (he is 175lbs and I'm 155lbs but still) and his tires pressure… those tires where rock hard. Anyone else ride with a similar setup?
btw thanks Wade!

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

Nov. 11, 2012, 9:36 a.m.

I am 180-185 and ride a fairly stiff bike. My intense ss uses a 500lb spring and a pretty heavy setup in my totem. It is great at Whistler where the speeds are high. I am experimenting with a 400lb spring and softer setup. Will see how that goes. I don't like overdoing compression and stuff so I don't know how long it will last.

Nov. 11, 2012, 9:49 a.m.

I think a stiff suspension setup works really well for high speed hits… that's the trend for suspension tuners it seems. I tend to agree based on my own un-scientfic testing.

Nov. 11, 2012, 10:03 a.m.

+1 what Playboy said, I had Authur from Suspension Therapy set up both of my bikes and he set them both failry stiff, especially in the front and I found I was riding much quicker at Whistler with more confidence afterwards. Everyone who tried my bike out though thought the front was way to stiff but it worked great. Just a little more tiring on the hands.

Nov. 11, 2012, 10:09 a.m.

i have slowly stiffening up mu suspension set-up and it.s working way better for me , as for tire pressure i run around 25 to 30 lbs

#northsidetrailbuilders

Nov. 11, 2012, 10:17 a.m.

Having ridden 'with' Wade down Neds on a Race Face dealer day the other year, it's easy to see why he runs high pressures on both suspension and tyres, on a small bike at least. The way he flew down the trail he'd have got 10 pinch flats if he had his tyres at 20psi!

Running stiffer spring and relying on the spring rather than heavy compression damping is certainly preferable. The bike continues to feel nice and composed when things get gnar, but still react quickly. If a bike feels great at 7kph it's probably set up wrong!

treezz
wow you are a ass

Nov. 11, 2012, 12:03 p.m.

Having ridden 'with' Wade down Neds on a Race Face dealer day the other year, it's easy to see why he runs high pressures on both suspension and tyres, on a small bike at least. The way he flew down the trail he'd have got 10 pinch flats if he had his tyres at 20psi!

That's assuming his tires hit the ground which I think is also up for debate…

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Nov. 11, 2012, 12:58 p.m.

+1 what Playboy said, I had Authur from Suspension Therapy set up both of my bikes and he set them both failry stiff, especially in the front and I found I was riding much quicker at Whistler with more confidence afterwards. Everyone who tried my bike out though thought the front was way to stiff but it worked great. Just a little more tiring on the hands.

The rear felt ok but it's his fork that felt really stiff to me (even if I'm ~20lbs lighter) but I can see that being debatable. The most surprising was the tire pressure, those things where rock hard, seemed confusing to me as most, even for XC, ride lower PSI.

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

Nov. 11, 2012, 1:06 p.m.

I personally rock super stiff suspension for my weight, i find i'm able to pop better and stuff my bike into things better. I also tend to run my tires pretty high, i notice that people tend to run exceedingly low pressures because they aren't running the right tires for their application, and need more grip out of them. Personally when I get a new bike/tires/suspension, i set up tire pressure for optimal grip, and adjust suspension accordingly.

Nov. 11, 2012, 1:51 p.m.

I personally rock super stiff suspension for my weight, i find i'm able to pop better and stuff my bike into things better. I also tend to run my tires pretty high, i notice that people tend to run exceedingly low pressures because they aren't running the right tires for their application, and need more grip out of them. Personally when I get a new bike/tires/suspension, i set up tire pressure for optimal grip, and adjust suspension accordingly.

Winnah

IMO most folks set their bikes up way too soft and slow.

Pastor of Muppets

Nov. 11, 2012, 1:56 p.m.

Fast riders tend to put a lot more weight over the front end, hence the stiff fork.

The hard tires, I still don't get down with. As little as I can get away with is my deal.

flickr

Nov. 11, 2012, 2 p.m.

way too soft and slow.

isn't that what yer wife is always criticizing you for?

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Nov. 11, 2012, 2:22 p.m.

isn't that what yer wife is always criticizing you for?

No mate, that was too soft and too fast.

Cheers Ben

Nov. 11, 2012, 2:55 p.m.

i've been slowly reducing the air pressure to get a plusher ride from my suspension. i find it both more comfortable and provides more control, but i think that's a factor of my intermediate skill level. the more confident and skilled you are barreling down technical trails, i suspect you get more performance out of a firmer set up. that's my theory anyways!

Nov. 11, 2012, 4:17 p.m.

Super stiff is the new slow rebound

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave