Very Sexy Six

April 7, 2007, 5:10 p.m.

Beautiful!

So, what's the weight on that thing?

She's sitting at 32lbs. Any lighter and I'd be putting on some cro-mo bars or something… And the match maker clamp is an aftermarket upgrade….completely spec'ing a bike in a way that it doesn't require an upgrade would defeat the purpose of a consumer industry.

April 7, 2007, 5:17 p.m.

"sick six !" said the sly slithering snake. sexy time!!!!

anus

April 9, 2007, 8:47 a.m.

Got it a few days ago. Yes the parts spec is impressive, but what surprised me the most was the frame. It has a super nice hydroformed downtube, and the seat mast rails are shaped nicely so that they don't stick out too far. Only bad thing I can say about the frame is the long headtube. I did order a large i guess. Maybe a drop stem and a flat bar will fix this.

Last years six has the same downtube, it was a big surprise to me too. When you start riding it, be prepared for lots of people trying to deny that it is a light bike because it's Norco :)

April 9, 2007, 11:16 a.m.

Got it a few days ago. Yes the parts spec is impressive, but what surprised me the most was the frame. It has a super nice hydroformed downtube, and the seat mast rails are shaped nicely so that they don't stick out too far. Only bad thing I can say about the frame is the long headtube. I did order a large i guess. Maybe a drop stem and a flat bar will fix this.
QUOTE]

Try flipping your stem upside down at first. It worked for me and I never ended up having to buy a lower rise bar.

I'm the best at being modest !

April 9, 2007, 6:10 p.m.

All built up, it's a sexy beast. 33.44 lbs. I don't know how someone else got their's to 32, I couldn't imagine a place to cut weight.

The parts spec is outrageous.

Crossmax wheelset, X.0 shifters and rear derailleur, XTR front derailleur, Sram 990 cassette, Fox 36 Talas RC2 fork, DHX 5.0 shock, a liberal sprinkling of Syncros bar [HTML_REMOVED] stem combo, Chris King, Juicy 7's, Nevegal 2.35 wire beads….the list goes on.

It's 3.2 lbs lighter than my wife's 2006 Six 1. I imagine that's in the wheelset, fork and I put a 2.50 tire on my wife's.

Now get over here Leah and get this thing out of my garage before I take it out and abuse it!

April 9, 2007, 6:21 p.m.

All built up, it's a sexy beast. 33.44 lbs. I don't know how someone else got their's to 32, I couldn't imagine a place to cut weight.

I admit my scale isn't accurate to 2 decimal points but I did lose weight with the carbon bar and different stem, and also by cutting a chunk of the seat post (In hindsight, this wasn't necc. at all. I was just being hasty). Did you take the tubes out of the wheels yet? I'll re-weigh but I don't think I'll go over 32.5.

April 9, 2007, 6:21 p.m.

where did you pick up that scale ? and for how much?

brokezors

April 9, 2007, 6:23 p.m.

Masterpeice seatpost.

Carb Bars.

Ti Bolts

Avid XC brakes

less air in tires… ect.

SICK BIKE DAVE!!!

Shoots with Nikon D2H
c

April 9, 2007, 7:14 p.m.

where did you pick up that scale ? and for how much?

Ultimate Alpine Digital Scale. Can't remember how much they cost. Maybe $50-$60? They can be ordered direct from Ultimate or from discerning independent bike retailers everywhere.

As for weight on the bike, you could lose some by going tubeless, using lighter pedals, and going to a 36 Float. But other than the tubeless option, it'd be a terrible waste of cash.

"It's, like, so much fun."

April 9, 2007, 7:20 p.m.

Ultimate Alpine Digital Scale. Can't remember how much they cost. Maybe $50-$60? They can be ordered direct from Ultimate or from discerning independent bike retailers everywhere.

As for weight on the bike, you could lose some by going tubeless, using lighter pedals, and going to a 36 Float. But other than the tubeless option, it'd be a terrible waste of cash.

Where could one pick up a scale like that? I wouldn't know where to look… google here I come!

And if the bike already has xc tubes, would there be a noticeable weight savings for swapping the tubes for some tire sealant? (Unless the tires are tubeless already?)

I am really liking the Sixes that have been posted, there is some hot hardware in this thread!

22 Pride

April 9, 2007, 7:38 p.m.

Exactly. The bike is spec'ed very well and it's burly enough too. I def. won't be afraid to take it to gold river, whistler, etc. Any lighter, t'would be scary!
P.S. Tubeless will save you at least 1/2 lbs of rotational weight. More weight can be saved once all the little holes in your tires have sealed and then you can remove the excess stans solution.

April 10, 2007, 3:30 p.m.

awesome bike.
i thought long and hard about a six… cripe… kinda having hindsight issues now…

I run that same wheelset… 1 scoop of stan's is more than enough to seal up 2.5 maxxis minions… much lighter than an x/c tube…
Food for thought I guess…
Also, those wheels are much tougher than they might initially appear… mine have survived a dh race w/e at Bootleg Nevada(some good practice run crashes), and countless w/e's of shuttle'n South Mountain here in Phoenix… which is equally rough/rocky/abusive…

April 10, 2007, 9:02 p.m.

that ultimate scale is distributed by Norco. Almost any bike store can get them for you.

The down tube of the 2007 six is the same as the 2006. These ones are different from the 2005 six though. in 2005 the six was more like the shore and had thicker and beefier tubes.

vapir oxygen

didnt know nsmb was only for pros

its not, its only for dicks.

My Flickr

April 10, 2007, 9:16 p.m.

that ultimate scale is distributed by Norco. Almost any bike store can get them for you.

Awesome, thanks!

22 Pride

April 11, 2007, 9:50 a.m.

Weight-wise, this turned out to be a friggin' medium frame, supposed to be a small, but I don't consider myself a gram counter so 31, 32lbs, who cares. This isn't my "race" bike, it's my FUN BIKE!!