V10: Carbon vs. Aluminum

July 27, 2011, 1:33 p.m.

i'm curious what the failure mode is for the larger cross sections / thicker shapes of carbon dh frames. obviously dependant of cloth types [HTML_REMOVED] layup, but i'd like to assume that owing to it's non isotropic nature [HTML_REMOVED] 'fibrousness' it would crack but perhaps not detach important bits (like headtubes) as readily as aluminum. would actually like to see some carbon dh frames tested to failure just to see what happens. though the fact we've not heard of any failures so far is, i suppose, a good thing.

July 31, 2011, 9:20 a.m.

I'll be keeping my eyes open for stories of broken carbon v10's over the next few months. For now, everytime I ask a Santa Cruz dealer if they've had carbon failures, they laugh.
:lol:

July 31, 2011, 11:43 a.m.

I'll be keeping my eyes open for stories of broken carbon v10's over the next few months. For now, everytime I ask a Santa Cruz dealer if they've had carbon failures, they laugh.
:lol:

There are a few reported SC carbon failures but they seem to be from manufacturing defects. Like any other manufacturing process, there will be defects that get through QC checks and show up in the field.

July 31, 2011, 7:58 p.m.

i'm curious what the failure mode is for the larger cross sections / thicker shapes of carbon dh frames. obviously dependant of cloth types [HTML_REMOVED] layup, but i'd like to assume that owing to it's non isotropic nature [HTML_REMOVED] 'fibrousness' it would crack but perhaps not detach important bits (like headtubes) as readily as aluminum. would actually like to see some carbon dh frames tested to failure just to see what happens. though the fact we've not heard of any failures so far is, i suppose, a good thing.

If it's anything like carbon masts, boat hulls, blocks and such it would be very complete
in it's failure. That's one of the things that prevented the normal boaters from using it
in their own craft. Unlike metal, it doesn't give any indication that it's about to fail.
Carbon has two states…good and bad. When a mast breaks it makes a very loud pop and it looks
as though a bomb went off inside it.

Anyway, people in the boating world point to carbon's on/off properties and think it's
bad forgetting that if your mast is bent in half or broken in half it's still screwed.
Also, you're far more likely to break your aluminum mast than your carbon one, though
you do have a higher chance of lightning strike, and you need to be careful when attaching
metal to ensure isolation else the metal will corrode.

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

Aug. 4, 2011, 8:51 a.m.

I've been riding a V10c since April. The biggest difference from the old version that I noticed was the geo. Lower BB and slacker HA.

I also like the 8.5" travel vs the 10" travel. It feels to dead to me with 10".

Aug. 4, 2011, 8:55 a.m.

I'm not sure I have the heart to ask Bart if I can borrow his V10 for the week-end for some testing … but now that you bring it up I am tempted … and very interested to take one for a ride.

Kevin is coming to Golden with me on Friday. I'm sure he'd trade for your Aurum for a bit. Again.

Aug. 4, 2011, 9:20 a.m.

I've been riding a V10c since April. The biggest difference from the old version that I noticed was the geo. Lower BB and slacker HA.

I also like the 8.5" travel vs the 10" travel. It feels to dead to me with 10".

Interesting.
The lower BB is a major design point, but I wonder if the same HA be achieved with an adjustable headset on the older model. Good info though, as it gives me a bit more to consider before dropping dime on the frame.