Used Code RSC vs Magura Trail MT Sport

June 13, 2019, 10:59 p.m.

My wife has the Magura MT trail SL brakes and they are sweet. I need some inexpensive brakes for  bike and have a line on used Code RSC for $300 or New Trail MT Sports by Magura for $250.

Thoughts?

June 13, 2019, 11:38 p.m.

Mineral oil sure is more pleasant to deal with than DOT.

June 14, 2019, 4:16 a.m.

I’m running the magura trails on my little bike and love them. Seems they have wrote the book on modulation. I’m running codes on my big bike, I do like them, but I would describe them as more on or off, plenty of power though.

The Maguras are really simple to bleed as well. I would go Magura, for the money you won’t beat them.

Last edited by: FLATCH on June 14, 2019, 4:17 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 14, 2019, 8:24 a.m.

Magura's. I replaced my Saints with some way cheaper Magura's and am VERY happy about it. Usually, gotta bleed them outa the box though.

June 14, 2019, 8:19 p.m.

I have a set of 3 year old guides. They work fine but I never loved the leaver - sort of spongy and indistinct. I really like the lever feel of the Magura and in general think they have a really cool design/look whereas the codes just look like the same old brake. 

The deal I was offered on the codes is pretty good so I felt bad going for a far less expensive brake for about the same cost. These responses make me feel less crazy, gonna go for the Magura. Thanks

June 15, 2019, 12:23 p.m.

Late to the party, but there are quite a few anecdotal reports of the Magura fancy plastic levers being more fragile than others and breaking off with seemingly little force, while others have been able to withstand big crashes ok.

Magura replacement parts while being less accessible generally, are also more more expensive. 

With the Magura uncertainty when I was looking, I ended up loving my TRP brakes when I decided to try something different from my old Zee/Xt/Slx and now run them on both my bikes.

June 15, 2019, 6:16 p.m.

You can get replacement parts simply enough from Magura USA but be careful how you ship. I got hammered hard with ridiculous brokerage fees.

June 16, 2019, 12:22 p.m.

By accessible I meant break something on a Saturday, be able to get replacement parts and back riding the next day or 2

June 16, 2019, 10:16 p.m.

Posted by: UFO

By accessible I meant break something on a Saturday, be able to get replacement parts and back riding the next day or 2

I had to let out a little laugh at this comment. You make it sound like its possible to go into an LBS with a common part that commonly gets broken and expect them to have it in stock. This has never, ever been my experience. The fastest turn around you are going to get is to order it online and get fast shipping (usually about 3 days).

Last edited by: shoreboy on June 16, 2019, 10:17 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 17, 2019, 6:36 a.m.

I agree, even getting Shimano parts in towm can be a crap shoot unfortunately.

I have saints on one bike and mt trail sport on the other. Prefer the Magura for sure. Lighter, cheaper, about the same power, better lever feel. Cove have pads in stock and I have run both SRAM and Shimano rotors with them so basic wear items I know I can get in a pinch if needed. I will probably change the saints for Magura eventually.

June 17, 2019, 9:38 p.m.

Well there is a bigger chance generally with Shimano and SRAM. I've also had the shop take bits off their floor bikes to get me on my way, while they order in the part and replace it on their floor bike when it arrives. Which bike specs Magura as OEM? It's all about giving yourself the biggest chance of success IMO.

That's why for me after I tried and enjoyed the TRPs, I swapped my 2nd bike to the same setup. So I 'stock' my own emergency replacement parts on the 2nd bike. I try to do the same with my drivetrain, dropper posts, and wheels.

June 18, 2019, 11:32 a.m.

Formula? Cheap & reportedly good performance.

Those with Magura how's the caliper rub and ease of a perfect bleed these days? I loved my old Maguras but I'm really appreciating Shimano's rub free rotors and 5 minute bleeds. Somewhat inconsistent levers being the trade-off.

Seems every brake has some little niggle.

Last edited by: Hepcat on June 18, 2019, 1:56 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
June 18, 2019, 11:29 p.m.

I have a few bikes so if as long as a brake is not prone to failure, I am happy to risk a wait for parts in order to have good performance every day. When I am on the road I always take a few extras to fix most mechanicals but at some point you have to draw the line. If I am on holiday and I crash and destroy my brake lever, I'll just buy a new brake to keep the party going. Buying a brake I don't really want for small part availability  in case of catastrophic failure seems like overkill.

My XT brakes have pretty good power and lever feel but without bite point adjustment, it can be a pain to get them set up right and I find they re finicky as the rer brake is inconsistent in contact point. My SRAMs and Hopes are much better for all that but lack power.

My wife's Trail MT SL's feel amazing!!!!! The Trail MT sports are my low budget equivalent. They are in the mail currently - will report how they compare when I get them set up. Personally, I think the one finger magura lever blades feel so good it is like they are having sex with your finger - that good!

June 19, 2019, 4:39 a.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

Those with Magura how's the caliper rub and ease of a perfect bleed these days? I loved my old Maguras but I'm really appreciating Shimano's rub free rotors and 5 minute bleeds. Somewhat inconsistent levers being the trade-off.

Have never had rotor rub so far, and as far as bleeding goes, set up to clean up is a one beer job. As Rah said, the lever feel is very nice and you don’t have to clean up after.

June 19, 2019, 8:59 a.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

No rotor rub, and I bought some cheap bleed kit online...super easy.