*URGENT* disc brake help

June 27, 2005, 2:14 p.m.

oh yes.. iso is gonna reck ur pads… stfu kid

June 27, 2005, 8:08 p.m.

J_Ride, I think you need a new pair of glasses.

Sober

June 28, 2005, 5 a.m.

ok so i boiled them and baked them, they are working much better then i put some rubbing alcohol on them they worked a bit shitter but then i threw some water on them and they are working quite well but they sqeak and there is nothing worse then sqeaking brakes (ok im sure there is) but now what can i do to stop the sqeaking and still keep the power of the brakes?

Edits

June 28, 2005, 5:16 a.m.

Sounds like you should regrease the rotors.

KIDDING!

www.joemamma.ca
www.intensecycles.com

June 28, 2005, 9:47 a.m.

Brakes squeel squeek and make noise. So what. How badly do they howl? It's caused by vibration of the brake components when the pad sticks and releases at a very high frequency. Make sure all the bolts are tight, maybe the pads are not being held super tight in the caliper. There are products for auto brakes to help stick the pads to the caliper holder but I wouldn't try it. And it tne future, never use anything other than alcohol on your rotors and pads. You know it won't do anything bad to any parts.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

June 28, 2005, 3:02 p.m.

ok so i boiled them and baked them, they are working much better then i put some rubbing alcohol on them they worked a bit shitter but then i threw some water on them and they are working quite well but they sqeak and there is nothing worse then sqeaking brakes (ok im sure there is) but now what can i do to stop the sqeaking and still keep the power of the brakes?

Squeeling is usually caused by misalignment or surface irregularities.

Give the pads a sanding. That might smooth the surface, which might help with vibrations. Then check the alignment of your caliper.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

June 30, 2005, 5:32 p.m.

methyl alchohol soak the whole thing

Iron horse yakuza + plus fork and parts
PM -for details, i kinda dont check my e-mail…

and that lil mutt of a ride takes it all - jaru72

no blood,.. doesnt count

June 30, 2005, 11:06 p.m.

Listen up.

1) Buy a can of brake cleaner. Not isopropanol alcohol. BRAKE CLEANER.

2) Spray it onto your calipers and pads.

3) Spray water on it.

4) Wipe away excess.

5) Ride and enjoy.

June 30, 2005, 11:08 p.m.

Listen up.

3) Spray water on it.

4) Wipe away excess.

5) Ride and enjoy.

Hear's can of worms opening….

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

June 30, 2005, 11:26 p.m.

jsut boil the pads and they should be good as new

Then add a little salt and a shake of pepper.

July 1, 2005, 12:30 a.m.

Listen up.

3) Spray water on it.

4) Wipe away excess.

5) Ride and enjoy.

brakleen is what I've used and it works…doesn't harm pads and leaves no residue…good luck

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

July 1, 2005, 1:45 a.m.

From what I'm hearing, you shouldn't get a hydro just yet.

Use Iso, it will work, but once pads are contaminated, they will never work as good as they did day one. The best solution is to replace the pads, but you can try degreasing with brake cleaner. Unless the pads are FULL metallic(not organic or semi metallic, anything non metal) I wouldn't recommend baking it, the resin that holds the semi metallica compound could break apart or damage more. Clean your rotor thoroughly, then after everything is cleaned and dried, put everything back on, re adjust the alignment then try to re-"break-in" the pads/rotor by stopping hard a couple times.

Brake pads contamination is a bitch, good luck.

oh hai!

July 1, 2005, 9:47 a.m.

dont use isopropyl use methyl whatever you do use methyl

Iron horse yakuza + plus fork and parts
PM -for details, i kinda dont check my e-mail…

and that lil mutt of a ride takes it all - jaru72

no blood,.. doesnt count

July 1, 2005, 12:55 p.m.

why methyl? Ive always used iso and have NEVER had a problem with my brakes.

July 1, 2005, 1:35 p.m.

If Propanol were to leave a residue, it wouldn't be suggested for applications such as cleaning circuit boards or tape heads.

- Josiah Stamp

- H.G. Wells