Universal Allen Key

Sept. 22, 2015, 4:54 p.m.

http://www.ridingfeelsgood.com/uoft-mountain-biker-invents-universal-allen-key/

Innovation takes place in and out of the classroom. Peter Wen, a mechanical engineering student at the University of Toronto and member of the school’s Varsity Mountain Bike Team was tired of carrying a bulky allen key set. While fixing his bike on the trails he thought there had to be a better, lighter allen key set. There wasn’t. So he blended what he learned in the classroom with his passion for cycling and designed the world’s first universal allen key. He calls it Telehex.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Sept. 22, 2015, 5:08 p.m.

Hmmm. I'm trying to be positive here. A chain tool built in would have a strong maybe from myself. But…

Builds worlds most compact hex wrench set

Still rides with saddlebag and hydration back

:/

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Sept. 23, 2015, 12:45 p.m.

what about the compounding play or tolerance between the hex sleeves? Would the tool feel a bit sloppy when your torquing things?

meh.

Sept. 23, 2015, 3:49 p.m.

Id have to see one in person. However i love the idea. I don't need to carry a chain breaker i use power links and carry extra as well and the special pliers for them ( i cut the handles way down to save weight and space.
My micro leatherman has anything else I might need

Sept. 23, 2015, 4:07 p.m.

Hmmm. I'm trying to be positive here. A chain tool built in would have a strong maybe from myself. But…

Builds worlds most compact hex wrench set

Still rides with saddlebag and hydration back

:/

And missing the ability to turn torx or a jis (phillips) to adjust limit screw on derailluer.

I've got a set of these and they rock.

http://fixitsticks.com/replaceables

Sept. 23, 2015, 8:52 p.m.

Interesting idea but I would be concerned about play between the sizes. The last thing I want is a rounded out bolt because of play in the tool. But who knows this may not even be an issue

Would be worthwhile adding a Philips head on their for the limit screw as mentioned too.

Sept. 24, 2015, 11:45 a.m.

Cool idea but I'll stick to the Topeak ratchet rocket. Cheap light and effective.

Sept. 24, 2015, 12:06 p.m.

I think it's brilliant. Trail side tools don't get used often or shouldn't so a little play won't matter much. Many other mini tools are pretty weak anyway. First ti,me I used the park Tool on another persons bike it blew apart. Claims to be able to take 15 nm which is pretty high. Add on a chain tool, torx and phillips and this would be gold.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Sept. 26, 2015, 2:16 p.m.

This is the tool I have in my saddlebag on my road bike.

Apple logo for scale.

Comes with a small leather sleeve with "V10 102G" stamped on it. I assume V10 is the model number and 102G is the weight in grams.

It is a good idea, just needs more tools added to it. Licensing or having another company buy the patent might be the ticket.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Sept. 26, 2015, 6:28 p.m.

This is the tool I have in my saddlebag on my road bike.

Apple logo for scale.

Comes with a small leather sleeve with "V10 102G" stamped on it. I assume V10 is the model number and 102G is the weight in grams.

It is a good idea, just needs more tools added to it. Licensing or having another company buy the patent might be the ticket.

I have a couple of those in various packs and tool kits for my bikes. It needs a 3 or 2.5 whatever is the size for Shimano pedal tension adjust screws. Did you know that the chain tool opening is the correct size to fit presta valve cores?

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Sept. 26, 2015, 8:44 p.m.

This is freaking brilliant. I'm skeptical about the tolerances, so I bought two of them on Kickstarter. I'm in for no other reason than this guy's entrepreneurial spirit MUST be supported. I have a bro-crush on him.

Product line could be expanded in the future to have T-25, 2.5 and chain breaker. I can visualize a second key with an extenerally threaded round-shaft t-25 that can run a chain breaker that is part of the body. (too lazy to draw what I mean) Inside this T-25 you could have a little 2.5 than pops out for brake levers and the like. I trust his school already filed patent papers.

Probably April before I get them, but I'll post back here on how it goes. I don't expect shop quality, but for trail side or beer runs on the commuter, I'm hopeful.

Rock on!

-- Founder of Abit Gear MTB shorts --

Sept. 26, 2015, 9:06 p.m.

(too lazy to draw what I mean)

That's the entrepreneurial spirit!

Sept. 30, 2015, 12:07 p.m.

Neat. I wonder how well it will work with a couple years of fine grit in between those sliding surfaces from sitting in a pack?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sept. 30, 2015, 10:45 p.m.

neat idea, but generally adjustable wrenches of any sort lead to rounding and I'd rather not find myself in the middle of nowhere with a tool that risks rounding out the head of my hex bolt. all the other shiz i carry weighs way more than my hex keys.

will be curious for reviews from real users.

Oct. 1, 2015, 12:17 p.m.

but just think of all the space and grams you'll save :lol: