Universal Allen Key

Oct. 1, 2015, 12:33 p.m.

Really. How often are you guys needing to do work on your bikes in the woods? I think I use mine once or twice a year and rounding out bolt heads is a non issue from tool wear.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Oct. 1, 2015, 6:35 p.m.

Really. How often are you guys needing to do work on your bikes in the woods? I think I use mine once or twice a year and rounding out bolt heads is a non issue from tool wear.

True. Last hex bolt i f'd up was in the comfort of my garage. But Murphy's Law should always be kept in mind.

Oct. 1, 2015, 8:50 p.m.

It's a cool piece of engineering, but feels like a solution in search of a problem.

Something like this would be only marginally heavier if stripped down to only 3-6mm hex keys. But what mountain biker would even wanna carry a multitool with no 2mm, torx, philips or flat?

http://www.mec.ca/product/5017-613/filzer-i-tool-skin-e1-multi-tool/?Ntk=productsearch_en_q32008[HTML_REMOVED]No=0[HTML_REMOVED]h=10[HTML_REMOVED]q=multitool

I use my tool every 5 rides or so. A crash recently whacked my handlebar out of alignment. A hit to the rear derailleur required me to adjust it, or I would have had to walk home. Sometimes I wanna adjust my post outside the dropper range. Or adjust levers or shifters. My bottle cage came loose a few times until I put thread locker on the bolts.

I suppose if you rarely crash and you're very thorough with maintenance, riding without a tool could be ok.. but I wouldn't dream of it. I've even had bikes coming back from service with loose bolts or components out of alignment.