Ultimate bike for the Shore?

April 23, 2015, 6:38 p.m.

Did you try a Scout? That's the bike I'm eyeing if I don't pull the trigger on a new hardtail first.

I demoed a Scout and would have liked to take a Patrol out but didn't get the chance because they were all out. I'd put the Scout in the talk with a Spitfire… Super fun bike that's more than capable of taking on 95% of the Shore.

I recall thinking that it sprinted pretty well, noticed no pedal feedback, and all I really thought on the DH was it was fun and the suspension just worked. I also thought the BB was pretty low (330mm) and I'd have to pay more attention to pedal strikes.

I would probably go with the Patrol if it were me because of the extra forgiveness and save my ass factor with minimal weight penalty over the Scout… a little over half a pound according to Transition's site.

April 23, 2015, 10:43 p.m.

Nomads and Reigns are a bit more capable on the real rowdy, steep, descents compared to a stock E29 but it will massacre them on flat rough or really anywhere where you have to pedal.

Totally disagree. I ditched my E29 for a Nomad3 and couldn't be happier. The Nomad has a snappier feel on just about any trail and it is easier to muscle around on rough climbs. The E29 only won out on very steep uphills because of the steep seat angle. This threw the balance off everywhere else compared to the more entered feel of the Nomad.

April 23, 2015, 10:56 p.m.

Totally disagree. I ditched my E29 for a Nomad3 and couldn't be happier. The Nomad has a snappier feel on just about any trail and it is easier to muscle around on rough climbs. The E29 only won out on very steep uphills because of the steep seat angle. This threw the balance off everywhere else compared to the more entered feel of the Nomad.

I reckon I could race the Nimby on the E29 and still do alright. On a Nomad? Not a chance.

I like the Nomad though. The E29 needs some tweaking to compete with it.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

April 23, 2015, 11 p.m.

I reckon I could race the Nimby on the E29 and still do alright. On a Nomad? Not a chance.

first year i did it there was some guy riding it on an older norco fluid or something similar - he seemed to be doing ok and finished in under 4.5 i think.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

April 24, 2015, 12:01 a.m.

No sb66 love?

April 24, 2015, 6:59 a.m.

Sounds like you haven't ridden a Nomad that's been set up well. With a Monarch plus it climbs beautifully. My climbing times up Seymour and Fromme are hardly different than on my Tallboy.

April 24, 2015, 7:49 a.m.

Xprezo Adhoc, but I may be a little biased. The bikes is faster than I am on descents.

April 24, 2015, 8:11 a.m.

Sounds like you haven't ridden a Nomad that's been set up well. With a Monarch plus it climbs beautifully. My climbing times up Seymour and Fromme are hardly different than on my Tallboy.

Yep it had the Monarch Plus. Suspension wise the Nomads wacky leverage rate is the weak link of the bike for me, but that's another thread! The bike is rescued by the great geometry.

I'm talking rolling resistance. There's no way a 650b bike can compete with 29" for extended pedalling sections. That's why the E29 is fairly unique thing IMO. Ignoring the BMC TF01 and a couple others.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

April 24, 2015, 8:15 a.m.

first year i did it there was some guy riding it on an older norco fluid or something similar - he seemed to be doing ok and finished in under 4.5 i think.

Yeah fair play.

I guess it's down to how much punishment you're willing to take :)

- Morgman

April 24, 2015, 8:56 a.m.

I'm considering swapping out my current frame (aluminum 2014 Ghost Cagua 6550) for a new Nomad carbon frame. I was also considering the Rocky Mountain Altitude Rally Edition frame. Does anyone have any experience with the Altitude?

April 24, 2015, 9:14 a.m.

How about "Ultimate HARDTAIL for the Shore?"

Chromag Surface?
:r:

Wrong. Always.

April 24, 2015, 9:42 a.m.

I'm considering swapping out my current frame (aluminum 2014 Ghost Cagua 6550) for a new Nomad carbon frame. I was also considering the Rocky Mountain Altitude Rally Edition frame. Does anyone have any experience with the Altitude?

Wait and see what bikes are released in May.

- Morgman

April 26, 2015, 6:16 p.m.

Anyone know where a guy can get a good deal on a large process?

April 26, 2015, 7:51 p.m.

Anyone know where a guy can get a good deal on a large process?

3 months after you buy one Im sure someone will score a good deal on it.

Pastor of Muppets

April 26, 2015, 9:27 p.m.

Range. I haven't ridden anything better on the Shore yet. So efficient on the way up, blazing fast and stable on the way down.

Biking: As addictive as cocaine, twice as expensive!

:safrica: - :canada: