Ultimate bike for the Shore?

April 22, 2015, 10:16 p.m.

Having said all that I think the bike will be much better over all once I have a set of light bicycles on it. The alloy wheels feel a bit flexy.

The one downside of said bike. It needs stiff/costly wheels.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

April 22, 2015, 11:14 p.m.

I took a Ripley for a quick spin and I really liked it. I've tried a few 650b bikes and I liked them too, the big thing is that 29 inch wheels offer crazy advantages when the geometry is right. I think people who would rather have a playful bike should buy one. Hopefully I'll be racing against them this summer :D

April 23, 2015, 9:17 a.m.

Funny thing is, if you look at the HD3 and the numbers, it is astonishingly close to a 2014 26" Specialized Enduro - except with 650b wheels and 10mm longer chainstays and the different suspension of course.

I haven´t spent enough real riding time on a HD3, but I definitely would love to!

Now if they came without decals that would be even nicer :high:

If my Enduro would get nicked, the HD3 would be a hot candidate…

Or a new/proper 2016 650b Specialized Enduro?

April 23, 2015, 11:42 a.m.

those guys were talking about the 26" wheeled hd2, not the current bike

i'm guessing they liked it more than the e29 because they're mostly from socal

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

April 23, 2015, 11:48 a.m.

those guys were talking about the 26" wheeled hd2, not the current bike

i'm guessing they liked it more than the e29 because they're mostly from socal

yes, i def took that with a grain of salt. i only found that post after searching for E29 as i'm not hip to the lingo you cool kids are using these days to shortname bikes. but on that trend, does the HD3 figure into the equation against the E29 as possibly the top two bikes for the shore if someone was to consider only one bike?

i know that the op said price is no object, but to me it still makes more sense to take say the $7500 or so you would spend on one of these brand new top flight rigs and split it to get two used bikes that would cover a wider range of trail types.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

April 23, 2015, 12:48 p.m.

yes, i def took that with a grain of salt. i only found that post after searching for E29 as i'm not hip to the lingo you cool kids are using these days to shortname bikes. but on that trend, does the HD3 figure into the equation against the E29 as possibly the top two bikes for the shore if someone was to consider only one bike?

FWIW, I'm loving my HD3 on the Shore (and in Squamish/Pemberton/Galby/etc.). My last bike was the HD1 and while I loved that bike, I always found that the geo was such that the front end was a bit light when climbing steeps with a 160mm fork. The HD3 climbs like a beast in relative terms (and the old was still pretty good). I like DW-Link because you can run a shock without ever touching one of those climbing switches. It is just a great feeling bike all around - climbs great, descends fast, corners good - FUN.

April 23, 2015, 2:26 p.m.

Kind of sad when no bikes have been mentioned that actually have any kind of BC/shore roots.

~~~~~~~~~~~

April 23, 2015, 2:29 p.m.

Banshee was mentioned earlier.Norco Range would be another good one. Knolly Warden another.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

April 23, 2015, 2:29 p.m.

^norco sight/range, banshee spitfire/rune. does banshee actually have any local presence these days, or its it completely uk based these days?

and knolly, of course. thank you craw.

April 23, 2015, 2:31 p.m.

How do RM Altitudes fair? Transition Patrols?

I recently picked up the Giant Advanced Reign 1 and it seems pretty darn good. Has a bias for descending but climbs surprisingly well and is sometimes nicer in rough flats/climbs than my hardtail. Id say if you are out there for the downhill trails its a pretty good ultimate bike. However, im glad I have my hardtail and FS xc bike as they fill different niches on the shore, and definitely elsewhere.

And giant reigns are significantly cheaper than similarly spec'd nomads

April 23, 2015, 2:51 p.m.

Transition Patrols?

i demo'd the patrol on fromme [HTML_REMOVED] really liked it. capable tech climber, and playful but planted descender. well sorted.

April 23, 2015, 5:09 p.m.

i demo'd the patrol on fromme [HTML_REMOVED] really liked it. capable tech climber, and playful but planted descender. well sorted.

Did you try a Scout? That's the bike I'm eyeing if I don't pull the trigger on a new hardtail first.

April 23, 2015, 5:10 p.m.

i know that the op said price is no object, but to me it still makes more sense to take say the $7500 or so you would spend on one of these brand new top flight rigs and split it to get two used bikes that would cover a wider range of trail types.

To put it into perspective i am replacing a 2011 Rocky Element msl with a full xtr build, and a 2008 Devinci Wilson. The E29 is faster up and down than either bike. I really think it is the one bike to rule them all and in the darkness bind them.

April 23, 2015, 5:15 p.m.

To put it into perspective i am replacing a 2011 Rocky Element msl with a full xtr build, and a 2008 Devinci Wilson. The E29 is faster up and down than either bike. I really think it is the one bike to rule them all and in the darkness bind them.

i wonder if this could be the bike that is too good? ie what if it kills off sales of many of the other bikes in the specialized line-up? wouldn't that be irony for the bike industry?

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

April 23, 2015, 5:35 p.m.

Nomads and Reigns are a bit more capable on the real rowdy, steep, descents compared to a stock E29 but it will massacre them on flat rough or really anywhere where you have to pedal.

To answer Syncro's comment, I reckon the Stumpy Evo 29" is even better if you want a 50/50 climb/descend split.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman