Tubeless...such a pain in the ass sometimes.

May 5, 2016, 9:39 a.m.

I've always used specialized tires tubeless and have been able to get the bead to seat with a normal pump. I get a new Maxxis, pump won't get it to seat. Put in a couple little red cups of stans, pump my ass out (say what?) Won't seat. Drive to gas station, and with use of the Shrader to Presta adapter, it seats and inflates and holds air. Leave it overnight…still holds air. But I'm a bit paranoid as I believe half of the stans I put in was lost in the original shit show of trying to get it to seat at home and enroute to the gas station. So I deflate, break bead open enough to dump in another red cup of stans. Pump my ass out again (say what??) Bead won't seat. Air and stans flying out everywhere. So I just hose theh shit out of everythinig (yard, rim, tire) and use a tube.

I guess the lesson here is:
1. Maxxis EXO TR are harder to mount than Specialized.
2. My home MEC pump isn't what it used to be.
3. I should have done the whole damn process at the gas station.
4. I'm an idiot.

Thanks for listening.

Wrong. Always.

May 5, 2016, 9:52 a.m.

I've always used specialized tires tubeless and have been able to get the bead to seat with a normal pump. I get a new Maxxis, pump won't get it to seat. Put in a couple little red cups of stans, pump my ass out (say what?) Won't seat. Drive to gas station, and with use of the Shrader to Presta adapter, it seats and inflates and holds air. Leave it overnight…still holds air. But I'm a bit paranoid as I believe half of the stans I put in was lost in the original shit show of trying to get it to seat at home and enroute to the gas station. So I deflate, break bead open enough to dump in another red cup of stans. Pump my ass out again (say what??) Bead won't seat. Air and stans flying out everywhere. So I just hose theh shit out of everythinig (yard, rim, tire) and use a tube.

4. I'm an idiot.

Thanks for listening.

I used to be that guy. Then I got a bontrager charger pump. Probably the best tool I've ever bought. Highly recommend if you're changing a lot of tubeless tires.

May 5, 2016, 9:58 a.m.

I saw a guy doing the stan's shake at a gas station the other day. Anybody who passes by who doesn't know what's going on must think they're a nutter. :P

May 5, 2016, 10:57 a.m.

4. I'm an idiot.

Thanks for listening.

If I were doing tubeless on my bikes (and the reasons above are some of the reasons Im not), id have an air compressor at hand to save the trips to the gas station. The recent ProCore debate has me intrigued to give it a go however…

May 5, 2016, 10:58 a.m.

4. I'm an idiot.

Thanks for listening.

Remove the core from your tubeless valve and pour in the sealant through the valve. It will save you from having to re-seat your tire.

There are dedicated tools: http://www.parktool.com/product/valve-core-tool-vc-1

My Lezyne multi-tool came with a valve core remover, so I use that, check your multi-tool, it might be equipped.

"I know that heroes ride bicycles" - Joe Biden

May 5, 2016, 11:41 a.m.

Remove the core from your tubeless valve and pour in the sealant through the valve. It will save you from having to re-seat your tire.

There are dedicated tools: http://www.parktool.com/product/valve-core-tool-vc-1

My Lezyne multi-tool came with a valve core remover, so I use that, check your multi-tool, it might be equipped.

I actually did that but I couldn't squeeze out the goooop from the mini bottle style thing into the open valve. It was gummed up from previous use I guess. So I got cocky and broke the bead.

It's funny when I was doing the shake the tire dance a cop drove by very slowly. I was all set to explain tubeless tires should he enquire at why I was doing the funky chicken. But donuts were a callin and he kept going.

I think in the future, short of getting one of pumps mentione above or an air compressor, I will do the whole shebang at the gas station. just have to make sure I bring the shraeder to presta adapter and a few loonies. Saves cleaning up the sploog. I think my dog ate some of it. Jesus..

Wrong. Always.

May 5, 2016, 11:52 a.m.

Get the sealant injector. The Bontrager charge pump works really well. I bought one for trips and highly recommend it. There are similar ones now from other pump manufacturers too now. Only inject sealant after you confirm that the beads are seated. Sometimes they seat but pop off but that's OK because you were able to seat them. But that probably also means that tire and rim combo will burp more easily. Some tire and rim combos are just shitty. Surprisingly I had a hard time airing up WTB tubeless ready tires on WTB tubeless ready rims. I am running Maxxis Minion DHF EXO, 3C, TR on Enves with gorilla tape. Tight as a nun's hoo haw but I managed to mount without tools, just a rag for grip and they air up really easy.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

May 5, 2016, 12:28 p.m.

I have had really good results using Gorilla tape on Stan's Flows and Arches. Single layer of tape does the trick every time. I usually need to replace the tape when I change tires if it has been on the rim a while. I use a big syringe to top up the sealant through the valve stem with the core removed. Going to have to buy me one of those fancy valve core removal tools.

May 5, 2016, 12:52 p.m.

If you have a tire that's being stubborn to air up tubeless it's also a great idea to remove the valve core as your pump is much more effective without the resistance.

I've reseated tires a couple of times on the side of the trail by carefully removing a valve stem with a Leatherman and then using a good hand pump.

Once you're aired up pop the pump off, thread the valve stem back in, and top up the air pressure.

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

May 5, 2016, 12:54 p.m.

I RIDE A RUNBIKE

Wrong. Always.

May 5, 2016, 12:58 p.m.

4. I'm an idiot.

Thanks for listening.

I ve been using maxxis tr tires exclusively for the last. 3 years. On wtb frequency rims which are UST. They seat really easily with an compressor . Need to be. At around 60 psi for the pop onto the bead.
What time were you using?
You can get an air compressor for the cost of one maxxis tires (2 gallon CAMPBELL hausfirld) at Rona when they come on sale. Very handy around the house to have :)

May 5, 2016, 2:02 p.m.

Yeah, I guess I could pick up an air compressor. Although the bontrager charger pump might be the way to go as I think my MEC pump isn't working as well as it used to.

You all get my reps.

Wrong. Always.

May 5, 2016, 2:52 p.m.

If you're not seating tired too often, CO2 also works well. MEC sells 3 packs of CO2 cartridges for $3.75, so you don't have to feel too bad about using them.

I use a crescent wrench to remove valve cores.

May 5, 2016, 3 p.m.

I had a similar experience when I first went tubeless. I was in a rush and was going to be late for a ride (shocker) and bailed on it and threw a tube in. When I got back I took one side of the bead off, pulled the tube, and tried again.

This time I lubed the bead up with some dish soap. The difference was night and day, it seated with a floor pump in seconds.

When I did the front tire, I did the same thing, however I didn't have one side seated yet.Lubed both beads, worked one side on as best I could by hand, and them pumped and it came together easily.

Maxxis High Roller on the back and Minion on the front.

May 5, 2016, 3:08 p.m.

Get the sealant injector.

Do this