Tubeless valves favorites?

Sept. 26, 2015, 10:12 a.m.

Ive been running mavic tubeless stems on the wtb freqi23 team rims setup using gorilla tape. been steup for a year and a half.
Had a flat yesterday AFTER a 35 k ride. Turns it was leaking around the stem when I wiggled it side to side.
I had a set of american classic stems and joes no flats stems. The AC's were aluminum and blingy red the the joes are brass. I could not bring myself to use the AC aluminum stems.
What stems do you guys use?
ps
I am using maxxis TR 2.3 dhf's . Mounted everything up this morning with fresh gorilla tape and stans first try, perfect:)

Sept. 26, 2015, 10:29 a.m.

Ive been running mavic tubeless stems on the wtb freqi23 team rims setup using gorilla tape. been steup for a year and a half.
Had a flat yesterday AFTER a 35 k ride. Turns it was leaking around the stem when I wiggled it side to side.
I had a set of american classic stems and joes no flats stems. The AC's were aluminum and blingy red the the joes are brass. I could not bring myself to use the AC aluminum stems.
What stems do you guys use?
ps
I am using maxxis TR 2.3 dhf's . Mounted everything up this morning with fresh gorilla tape and stans first try, perfect:)

Oddly enough I use the AC aluminum stems… they've been faultless. Mavic are also very good but probably can't be used with every rim. Stans I've had good and bad results.

Sept. 26, 2015, 11:14 a.m.

Mavic and Shimano here. I've found that they're the most reliable and give the best seals due to their shape and amount of rubber moulded in.

I haven't had good luck with Stan's or AC because none of my rims are flat at the valve stem hole. I also have one rim with a valve hole that is slightly too big for the Stan's valve. It wants to pull through when I tighten it enough to seal. It seals but I'm not comfortable using it.

So ya, it depends on your rim shape and valve hole size.

Sept. 26, 2015, 12:25 p.m.

I have had air leaks around the Mavic stem that comes on 819's which I fixed with tire pacthing cement before bolting them in

http://www.mec.ca/shop/cycling-tubeless-kits/50002+52049/?h=10+50002+50012+50182

I recently tried the Orange products^^ from MEC, since I got 819 tubeless rims I only bought the fluid and stems, I had to trim the rubber flange around the stem to fit in the channel of an 819 rim, they leaked at 1st around the stem and bead of a DHRII but the fluid took care of the leaks so that the tire hasn't lost much if any air sitting over time

the orange stems have a removable core in a presta stem so you seat the tire completely, remove the core and inject fluid from the container which has a little tube that fits on the stem

do many presta stems come with the removeable core?

Sept. 26, 2015, 12:38 p.m.

^The Stans ones I have all have a removable core.

I'm curious about this Schrader valves Lowcard uses.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Sept. 26, 2015, 12:48 p.m.

I just used basic mx tubes that had laying around. Just cut them out and bolt them on like any other tubeless. If you buy a HD tube then the rubber is obviously quite a bit thicker. And the nut is an actually 12mm nut that you use a wrench to tighten on, not a dumb little knurled nut.

Sept. 26, 2015, 10:16 p.m.

Second that. Buy some mx tubes and cut them up, plus since its a shraeder you can pop out the valve core and fill the tubeless fluid through a much bigger opening. Anything presta is junk.

Sept. 26, 2015, 11:40 p.m.

I'm so ghetto. I just cut the valves out of some old road bike tubes.

Actually been holding just fine since December. I have no idea if this frowned upon and I've just been randomly lucky.

https://nsmba.ca/product-category/memberships/

Sept. 27, 2015, 11:53 a.m.

A good fit on the rim, adequate length if its a deep rim, and a removeable core are the key points. I use prestas and i put a little oring under the knurled nut to keep it snug without having to overtightdn it

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Sept. 27, 2015, 10:56 p.m.

Cut up Conti schrader tubes. It's threaded all the way down. It give the nut a little tighten with needle nose pliers, perfect seal. MEC sells em.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Sept. 30, 2015, 7:12 a.m.

I'm surprised so many are using schrader valves. I regularly get a bit of Stan's goop in the valve core when I'm adjusting pressures, etc. - it seems inevitable that you're going to get sealant sneaking it's way into the valve. It makes the valve leak a tiny bit - until I tighten down the little nut on top of the presta valve. I would expect schrader valves to have leak issues due to the fact that they have no lock nut to tighten down the valve against any goop that might be jamming the valve open slightly. Do you schrader users ever experince this?

Sept. 30, 2015, 12:12 p.m.

I'm surprised so many are using schrader valves. I regularly get a bit of Stan's goop in the valve core when I'm adjusting pressures, etc. - it seems inevitable that you're going to get sealant sneaking it's way into the valve. It makes the valve leak a tiny bit - until I tighten down the little nut on top of the presta valve. I would expect schrader valves to have leak issues due to the fact that they have no lock nut to tighten down the valve against any goop that might be jamming the valve open slightly. Do you schrader users ever experince this?

That's why we are using them, its because of the reliability. Very hard to clog them and if you do its much easier to clean them out. I have never clogged one nor had one leak. You can get them pretty tight because if you use a valve core remover.

Sept. 30, 2015, 12:29 p.m.

That's why we are using them, its because of the reliability. Very hard to clog them and if you do its much easier to clean them out. I have never clogged one nor had one leak. You can get them pretty tight because if you use a valve core remover.

I dunno if they clog or leak from Stan's fluid but the valve in a Shrader stem is held closed with a spring SO over tightening the core with a valve core remover might strip the valve but it will not tighten the valve

Using a good valve cap is a great idea to maybe keep air in or at least keep dirt, smoo and corrosion from phucking up the spring loaded core … which are problems that I have experianced

Sept. 30, 2015, 1:26 p.m.

Never saw that before. All the schrader valve cores I've used do in fact bottom out on a rubber seal, so no chance at stripping. Maybe I just read it wrong.

Sept. 30, 2015, 1:34 p.m.

I never had a ride delayed because someone snapped the top off their schrader valve…