tubeless question

Aug. 28, 2011, 4:17 a.m.

this might seem a bit silly these days as its a pretty common thing to run tubeless…

me, ive never tried it. never had a reason to i guess. but ive recently bought a bike up to where i work to try and get some riding in on some local trails.

i keep getting flat tyres!! like a rediculasly large ammount. between 2 bikes i have over a whole day of riding i got 5 flat tyres. i think they are mainly thorns. i havent been bothered to check the current saggy lifeless peices of rubber that are in the bikes at the moment. and the other tubes were changed streetside and promptly tossed in the nearest bin.

just wondering if tubeless will be a little less likely to flat from thorns? everyone up here runs thorn resistant tubes but i even have now flatted a PAIR of these… did i just have a shit day or would tubeless help my cause…

and the tyres were inspected for penetrations before they were re mounted. i am positive there was nothing still in them that would have just flatted the new tubes…

and before this my last flat tyre would have to be a year ago at least.

Aug. 28, 2011, 5:25 a.m.

i keep getting flat tyres!!

it's because you're spelling tires wrong

Aug. 28, 2011, 5:55 a.m.

my experience of running tubeless has been stellar, with just 2 failures in 3 years, both caused by tearing open the tire carcass after running open large pieces of broken glass (a wine bottle and a beer glass): which would have ripped an inner tube to pieces as the tire required replacement after these incidents

in terms of thorn penetration, pinch flats and glass fragments, its been a complete relief after years of inner tube hassles

I sold tubeless to many customers who had thorn issues and all reported very positive experiences with the Stans sealent

I have had experiences riding on the street where a metal wood screw or glass fragment has been picked up by my tire, and after removing the item I have shaken the wheel to seal the hole, and continued riding to work, added a little air and continued riding the same tire for weeks afterwards

I run Stans ZTR Flow rims with Specialized Control (2-bliss) tires and Stan's solution (sealant) with Stans valve units and Roval tape (basically blue electrical tape!!) to seal the spoke bed

I've done DH / FR and lots of XC miles, DJ and Pump Track on 2 pairs of these wheels on different bikes, with different Specialized Control tire models and have been very impressed with the ease of inflation, performance and lack of punctures

Aug. 28, 2011, 7:43 a.m.

http://www.notubes.com/Movies.asp

you would never do this in real life but you could

Aug. 28, 2011, 9:26 a.m.

I converted to tubless early this season and am completely sold. Specifically relating to thorns, I rode in a thorny area and my buddy who rode tubes had multiple flats while I had none. When I got home I noticed I had several dozen thorns stuck in my tire but not one of those led to a leak, even when I pulled the thorns out. The sealant works magic!

Aug. 28, 2011, 9:35 a.m.

Run a tubeless ready or UST tire with Stan's sealant and flats from thorns will be a thing of the past. A friend of mine rides Moab probably 6 or 7 weeks a year and I don't think he flats anymore. Moab has goathead thorns and without sealant, most riders flat a lot.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Aug. 29, 2011, 10:56 a.m.

Stans ftw.

I currently have a 5 mm gash in my front tire that's weeping stans, but not air. :woot:

Aug. 29, 2011, 11:25 a.m.

it's because you're spelling tires wrong

I beg to differ.

Also to the OP, what pressures are you running? Too low and you would be pinch flatting.

Aug. 29, 2011, 11:33 a.m.

Has anyone tried putting stans inside a tube to reduce/eliminate punctures? Just pull out the valve core and bob's your uncle.

Theoretically it should work, although the tube might not be thick enough for the stans to seal a hole.

Aug. 29, 2011, 12:26 p.m.

Has anyone tried putting stans inside a tube to reduce/eliminate punctures? Just pull out the valve core and bob's your uncle.

Theoretically it should work, although the tube might not be thick enough for the stans to seal a hole.

You can buy them already like that: http://www.slime.com/product/85/Smart-Bike-Tubes-Schrader-Valve.html

Super useful for desert riding.

Aug. 29, 2011, 2:48 p.m.

I have. Inconclusive results though.

But I find that sharp object aren't really a problem with modern tires. Mainly it's pinch flats that are the culprit: get high volume tires and run them at sensible pressures.

Aug. 30, 2011, 4:50 a.m.

for me in this new local terrain i think its more puctures. ive ordered a notubes kit it will be at my local bike shop my next break

Aug. 30, 2011, 7:23 a.m.

You can buy them already like that: http://www.slime.com/product/85/Smart-Bike-Tubes-Schrader-Valve.html

Super useful for desert riding.

please don't use slime tubes, your lbs will curse your name and take a poop down your seat tube.

that and I rarely see them actually work.

Check my stuff for sale!

Aug. 31, 2011, 1:32 p.m.

the talc (dust) inside the inner tube tends to prevent the Stan's from working properly, as it won't coagulate around the puncture hole?

it tends to work well inside tires because it penetrates the cloth layer of the carcass sealing any pinhole leaks, leaving a puddle of Stans to deal with sudden deflations, the leak causes the loose sealent to bond with the Stans layer which is soaked into the cloth of the carcass

Sept. 21, 2011, 7:17 p.m.

will my standard stans kit worrk with 521s?

i see (after ive bought it) that there is a special kit for rhyno lits / 521s…