tubeless curious, worth the hype?

Nov. 28, 2011, 5:22 p.m.

60 psi? Really? I never run that much. Rolls too slow and it is too harsh a ride.

going up fromme, not for trails

I forgot to add, I would certainly try it if you're considering it

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Nov. 28, 2011, 5:56 p.m.

i've found that tubeless blows for me. I think the stans crap is a bit of a lubricant, and gets between the rim and the tire. Rip through a corner hard enough, and it'll blow the tire off the rim.

gone back to XC-type tubes.

about me: plow DH'er.

Nov. 28, 2011, 5:59 p.m.

used tubeless for a while tried 823's and 721's with both minion tubeless and regular 3c set up ghetto in all combinations and went back to tubes. i usually run welterweight tubes and don't flat very often. with tubeless i seemed to puncture tires too often and ended up having to run as high if not higher psi or i would roll tires off rims or burp them in corners and was a huge hassle. welterweight tubes with regular tires and regular rims from now on.

Nov. 28, 2011, 8:21 p.m.

I was getting pinchflats every 2nd or 3rd ride, no matter what the PSI. I switched both bikes over to tubeless about 3 years ago and haven't looked back. It's really not that messy, and becomes super easy once you get the hang of it (remember how hard it seemed to patch and reinstall your first tube?).

The same riding 'style' that caused me to get so many pinchflats now causes me to burp a fair bit of air from time to time when railing a corner hard, but it's better than the alternative, an I was known to roll a tire off the bead with tubes as well.

It's certainly worth the effort to give it a shot as you can always run tubes on a tubeless setup. If you're getting more than a couple of pinchflats a month, do it. If not, it's still probably worth it for the performance (acceleration, grip, and skinnies of all things).

iforonewelcome.com

Nov. 28, 2011, 9:08 p.m.

used tubeless for a while tried 823's and 721's with both minion tubeless and regular 3c set up ghetto in all combinations and went back to tubes. i usually run welterweight tubes and don't flat very often. with tubeless i seemed to puncture tires too often and ended up having to run as high if not higher psi or i would roll tires off rims or burp them in corners and was a huge hassle. welterweight tubes with regular tires and regular rims from now on.

It's so funny… I have tubeless setup on 823s and 721s and they've been awesome. I don't weigh a ton but I haven't had any rolling/burping or puncture problems. Tubeless has been good to me so far (3rd year with tubeless on 3 bikes.)

Nov. 28, 2011, 9:14 p.m.

Same here, ive gonna over 3 years now without a flat, id never consider going back to tubes.

Nov. 28, 2011, 9:18 p.m.

I don't think its worth it, i've tubeless-ed 3 wheelsets, i had problem a wheel/tire with multiple attempts.
there were wheelsets that did not flat for an entire season, but i've also only had one flat with good tire/tube(non-DH).

People say the biggest advantage of the tubeless is the ability to run lower psi, yet we do see reports of burpage. As a result, i think we see a lot of people run higher psi(35+), and i feel many people try to justify tubeless by saying "it rides the same as tubes with lower psi", which i think is, to be honest, complete bs.

Nov. 28, 2011, 10:01 p.m.

People say the biggest advantage of the tubeless is the ability to run lower psi, yet we do see reports of burpage. As a result, i think we see a lot of people run higher psi(35+), and i feel many people try to justify tubeless by saying "it rides the same as tubes with lower psi", which i think is, to be honest, complete bs.

couldn't agree more

Nov. 28, 2011, 11:45 p.m.

How low is low psi wise. I run tubes with single ply minions and nevegals at 30-32 psi and rarely if ever pinch flat.

vegetarian: an ancient word for "likes to stay home with the ladies…"

Nov. 28, 2011, 11:55 p.m.

I run 25-32 Psi depending on the course and if we're talking front or rear tire and no issues with burping. I really like running tubeless, but currently only have 2 out of the 4 bikes I own set up that way. Only flat I had running tubeless was after bragging how great it was….lol. I was also running tubeless with no sealant at the time.

Nov. 29, 2011, 6:39 a.m.

I had a tubeless kit on 721 and 729 rims and I wasn't blown away. It seemed like a pain in the ass to seat any tire and the soapy water/Stans was a complete mess. Not impressed with the conversion kits at all

Now I have XT M776 tubeless wheels and am having the complete opposite experience. I can mount High Roller LUST tires with a hand pump and Minion EXOs with a bit more effort but nowhere near the ordeal it was on the 721/729 rims.

I weigh 190 (200 w/gear [HTML_REMOVED] pack etc) and run 24/27psi f/r. Never had a burp and I do find they grip better and roll better than a tube setup. There isn't much, if any, of a weight penalty running LUST and EXO tires either.

To sum up, tubeless on tubeless rims works excellently. Tubeless on regular rims, not so much. UST specific tires aren't necessary either IMO

Nov. 29, 2011, 10:01 a.m.

I don't think its worth it, i've tubeless-ed 3 wheelsets, i had problem a wheel/tire with multiple attempts.
there were wheelsets that did not flat for an entire season, but i've also only had one flat with good tire/tube(non-DH).

Yeah that is what people say but they say it wrong. You cannot think in terms of pure psi. Think in terms of softness. I could run a dh tire and dh tube at probably 15 psi. Tubeless single ply and I need 20 - 25 psi. My 200 pound friend has to run 30-35. Take a tire a tube set up for a given rider. The optimal psi is the one where the rider bottoms out rarely. To be at optimum pressure though you will pinch flat now and again. Bump up the psi so you never pinch flat but the tire will be too hard and ride quality will suffer. Go tubeless and you can push the softness envelope and bottom out now and then and not pinch flat.

It is not valid to say that a tire and tube at a given psi when converted to tubeless can now be run at a lower psi. You might, but you might not. The tube adds a fair bit of stiffness to the pumped up tire. You really need to use the thumb test to make ant tubeless set up as soft as your tube set up when it is set for optimal balance of control versus pinch flat avoidance.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Nov. 29, 2011, 10:02 a.m.

going up fromme, not for trails

I forgot to add, I would certainly try it if you're considering it

Higher psi rolls slower. Each little bit of gravel that the tire can't absorb causes the bike with you on it to go up and over that little bump. It converts forward movement to upward.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Nov. 29, 2011, 10:11 a.m.

here's a top tip to stop your valves getting gummed up with tubeless sealant

for presta setups:

when you setup your wheel, and have inflated your tire, put 1-2 drops of wet chain lube on the valve's thread before closing the valve shut

for schrader setusps:

remove the valve core, and put 2 drops of wet chain lube on the core, before reinstalling

found this makes a big difference in the long term, as the tubeless sealant will try to "seal" the valve as it assumes (by design) its an air leak…

Nov. 29, 2011, 10:20 a.m.

tubeless sucks