trying to get reducers

May 14, 2012, 6:08 p.m.

I called 16 shops to try to get reducers from 1 1/2 to 1 1/8 trying to see if anybody has a set or know of any shop that has in stock .I don't want to wait around for ordering mighty,overtime,and dizzy can get them from a supplier called wheels manufacturing,and problem solver. I know that they come with certain frames and not everyone needs them if they run the wider steer tube.
My frame is a 2011 demo 8 trying to run a chris king 1 1/8 th with fox 40 fork without buying the hope head set.
See i crack lots of frames and i have like 5 extra headsets i hated the fsa that came with the frame cause it has clearance issues ,then i got reducers with a syncros deep cup assembly but was missing the wedge ring so i tried to mix and match and i have play which will kill my frame so fast. long story short bike is in shop cause im sick of this prob and im trying to source the part . I know there are some mechanic guys that read these threads so can you check in the back ill buy you beer or give you 30 bucks. Or a free ride to whistler and back thanks guys.

"Looks like a Canoe with the seats kicked out of it !"

May 14, 2012, 8:39 p.m.

I called 16 shops to try to get reducers from 1 1/2 to 1 1/8 trying to see if anybody has a set or know of any shop that has in stock .I don't want to wait around for ordering mighty,overtime,and dizzy can get them from a supplier called wheels manufacturing,and problem solver. I know that they come with certain frames and not everyone needs them if they run the wider steer tube.
My frame is a 2011 demo 8 trying to run a chris king 1 1/8 th with fox 40 fork without buying the hope head set.
See i crack lots of frames and i have like 5 extra headsets i hated the fsa that came with the frame cause it has clearance issues ,then i got reducers with a syncros deep cup assembly but was missing the wedge ring so i tried to mix and match and i have play which will kill my frame so fast. long story short bike is in shop cause im sick of this prob and im trying to source the part . I know there are some mechanic guys that read these threads so can you check in the back ill buy you beer or give you 30 bucks. Or a free ride to whistler and back thanks guys.

How do you think you are going to run an 1 1/8th headset on a 1.5inch headtube??? I dont care what reducers you think can find, it simply wont work. If you are running CK, you can either go with an Inset 4 or a 1.5 [HTML_REMOVED] 1 1/8 Devolution.
You can easily get one shipped to your door in two days if you know where to look. Same goes for Cane Creek with theirs: SHIS:ZS49/28.6|ZS49/30 (1.5" - 1-1/8" Conversion Standard).
In the amount of time it took you to call 16(?) shops, you could already have it installed and be riding….

:stupid:

May 14, 2012, 9:44 p.m.

um, 1.5-[HTML_REMOVED] 1 1/8" reducer cups exist. Made by wheels mfg, problem solvers, FSA among others. Should cost around $20-30. I personally would just get a FSA or Cane Creek reducer headset, and sell the king, or throw it on your XC, road, BMX, whatever needs a fancy 1 1/8". The reducer headset will be a lot lighter, and have lower stack height.

May 14, 2012, 9:56 p.m.

um, 1.5-[HTML_REMOVED] 1 1/8" reducer cups exist.

Yep. I even bought 1 1/4" [HTML_REMOVED] 1 1/8" reducers the other week in case I decide to put a different fork on my old Proflex!

treezz
wow you are a ass

May 14, 2012, 10:01 p.m.

Steelstik can fix that.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

May 14, 2012, 10:17 p.m.

i do not care about weight i know where to order from problem solver or wheels manufacture thanks thad that's where the 3 shops said they could get them from. I want to raise the stack height so it fits on north shore racks i have reducers in now with a big bearing syncros deep cups head set but can not get tight without binding or play.i wanted to put king on all my bikes so they all have same races and easy to change forks.I explained i have parts laying around everywhere so buying another headset is out of the question. I tweeted steed i think they have them.
I might frankenstein it with a syncros bottom cup and a fsa top cup low rise.

May 15, 2012, 9:27 a.m.

How do you think you are going to run an 1 1/8th headset on a 1.5inch headtube??? I dont care what reducers you think can find, it simply wont work. If you are running CK, you can either go with an Inset 4 or a 1.5 [HTML_REMOVED] 1 1/8 Devolution.
You can easily get one shipped to your door in two days if you know where to look. Same goes for Cane Creek with theirs: SHIS:ZS49/28.6|ZS49/30 (1.5" - 1-1/8" Conversion Standard).
In the amount of time it took you to call 16(?) shops, you could already have it installed and be riding….

:stupid:

what are you smoking?

May 15, 2012, 11:21 a.m.

what are you smoking?

Yeah, my bad……I was envisioning something else. I dont think I have ever seen someone actually use them, but good to know they are out there!

May 15, 2012, 12:10 p.m.

You definitely want an external lower cup. The Demo/40 combo has huge crown/down tube interference potential. I switched to a Hope step-down external lower cup to give the lower crown room to clear the down tube.

http://www.hopetech.com/page.aspx?itemID=SPG240

Obsession ordered me just the lower Hope assembly and I still run the stock Specialized flush upper cup. This is a very clean solution. It also allows the bike to run pretty well in my NSR4 rack.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

May 15, 2012, 12:22 p.m.

thanks craw i knew about the hope soulution i do not trust that little expander nut inside the headtube. I think the syncros bottom cup is huge and will solve clearance and i will press in the fsa top cup assembly . Do not want to buy a 200 dollar head set the bike is nice but has old parts bolted on prob the most weight for a demo ever. I even ran old school shivers to try it out . was pretty ridiculous.

May 15, 2012, 12:33 p.m.

thanks craw i knew about the hope soulution i do not trust that little expander nut inside the headtube. I think the syncros bottom cup is huge and will solve clearance and i will press in the fsa top cup assembly . Do not want to buy a 200 dollar head set the bike is nice but has old parts bolted on prob the most weight for a demo ever. I even ran old school shivers to try it out . was pretty ridiculous.

I don't like that expander thing either. I'm running a regular star fangled nut. The whole things works well. The lower cup was [HTML_REMOVED]$100.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

May 16, 2012, 10:05 p.m.

I have a set of reducers that are brand new but I am over in Nanaimo.

May 16, 2012, 11:02 p.m.

problem is fixed bike is dialed bottom reducer with the scncros deep cup ,top is fsa flush mount expander that was stock thanks ya all .Big al hang on to those they are hard to find .Thanks Craw you steered me in the right direction enjoy your demos .I know i will every time i look at it i can not believe its mine . I think the bike gives me full on jedi powers.