Trustworthy alterations place to get rain pants hemmed?

Nov. 10, 2014, 8:54 a.m.

Hi Folks,

Had to replace my MEC rain pants i use to commute, because I got too fat for them. Now the only size that fits is far too long in the leg, and will require hemming.

The problem I see is the waterproof zipper on the leg, it will need to be terminated correctly.

Do you know of an alterations place that could be trusted with that?

Also, if this is no big deal, let me know, my sewing knowledge is limited.

Thanks!

MMMmmmm… Riding

Nov. 10, 2014, 9:27 a.m.

Seriously somebodies wife around here is a desgner [HTML_REMOVED] does this kind of shit,

Nov. 10, 2014, 10:07 a.m.

Seriously somebodies wife around here is a desgner [HTML_REMOVED] does this kind of shit,

My wife's a designer and has a studio with manufacturing capacities in North Van. She does ladies wear but won't touch waterproof zippers/clothing as she doesn't have the equipment to reseal and doing it with an iron is a PITA.

You ideally want to find an alternations place that has a sewing machine with a seam sealing stitch. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7drCQNSwjw)

You could always call/email Taiga (www.taigaworks.ca) and see who they recommend for alterations.

"I know that heroes ride bicycles" - Joe Biden

Nov. 10, 2014, 10:44 a.m.

Another option is one of the little stores on the other side of the road from MEC on Broadway. I have had a number of fixes to armor and bike shorts done over the years.

Another option is the fabric shop next to Our Community Bikes on Main and 17th Ave. Have purchased cordura there and had old bike shorts resewn, decent price and good work.

Can't comment if the rain pants would be done at either shop but worth checking out. Both located in Vancouver, not certain on where you are located.

Nov. 10, 2014, 3:57 p.m.

Try DCH in North Van, repairing outdoor gear and clothing is all they do. Probably not the cheapest option, but they do an excellent job.

DCH Sewing [HTML_REMOVED] Repair Services
1801 Welch St
North Vancouver, BC V7P 1B7
(604) 983-2491

Nov. 10, 2014, 4:47 p.m.

DCH can do it no problem. My wife had full zip goretex ski pants shortened and they did a superb job. I think the woman that runs the place used to run the sweatshop for Far West.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Nov. 10, 2014, 6:37 p.m.

what ever happened to Ingrid from ROACH ??? she made killer cloths back in the day and did custom alterations

#northsidetrailbuilders

Nov. 10, 2014, 9:02 p.m.

Ingrid still makes clothing; she just isn't focusing on mountain bike gear anymore. She's branched out into some other entrepreneurial ventures, such as night markets and festivals where she sells shirts and other items. She mentioned something about a return to the bike clothing business, but she acknowledged that the industry is a lot different than it was when she had the fluorescent Roach-house by the Cambie bridge. I sense that she's still proud of the Roach line (and rightfully so) given the impact (good or bad however you see it) on mountain bike fashion. It's perhaps a shame that she wasn't equipped to take the ball and run on a mass-production level and become a Troy Lee or Fox Sportswear type giant. A lot of other companies certainly profited off her designs and ingenuity. Think back to the many Roach gear knock-offs that flooded the market in the 90s. No wonder she couldn't keep up.
Anyway, Ingrid is alive and well from what I saw when I bumped into her in August, and a great woman to chat with about the days.

Nov. 10, 2014, 10:15 p.m.

good to hear i still have a pair of the shorts she made back in the 90,s , Velcro is toast but the rest of the shorts are solid . when my son was 4yrs old i took him down to the store under the bridge and she measured him up and made him elbow and leg pads .

#northsidetrailbuilders

Nov. 11, 2014, 10:09 a.m.

Great! Sounds like DCH is the place!

Thanks for all your help!

Regarding Roach, I still wear my hard shell pads, she made great gear for sure.

MMMmmmm… Riding

Nov. 11, 2014, 12:16 p.m.

Another option is the fabric shop next to Our Community Bikes on Main and 17th Ave. Have purchased cordura there and had old bike shorts resewn, decent price and good work.

You're thinking of Outdoor Innovations. They helped me when I put a hole in my 3-ply gore pants last year. They're now located at 1005 Kingsway.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.